“Gothic hotel”

Brownsover Hall Hotel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Rugby
Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on business trip for one night. It had lovely grounds and is in an ideal spot. The house is great, a gothic delight. I was in the stables annex and my room was clean and comfortable with smart decor. My shower would'nt turn off on the morning so i rang reception and it was sorted instantly. The staff i encountered were all polite and friendly. Our buffet was nice and the chilli con carne was excellent. If you want bland modern pap don't stay here but if you like a building and grounds with heaps of character and gothic splendour you will love it. Would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank swiftsport1
gmbrownsover, General Manager at Brownsover Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

thank you so much for your kind comments and we are delighted you enjoyed the atmosphere of Brownsover Hall. Welcome back soon.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

My fiancé, family and I came to Brownsover for a Sunday lunch to show the family our chosen venue for our wedding (march 2013). There were 17 of us in total, inc children and a few fussy eaters! Our waitress, who turned out to be the manager of the day, Alice, was a complete saint! Nothing was ever too much for her. Both alice and her staff that were on shift on the day kept the busy restaurant flowing smoothly. We had an issue with the soup being cold and they were snapped up and she got us fresh hot soups. Normally when we've visited hotels like Brownsover although advertised as being a family friendly hotel never actually have anything to keep the kids entertained - luckily Alice had some colouring pencils on hand and colouring pages which happened to be the children's favourite characters which kept them very quiet!! We can't wait to attend our wedding this year in this beautiful hotel and to show the rest of our family and friends how lovely Brownsover Hall Hotel is.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank The Future MrnM... B
gmbrownsover, General Manager at Brownsover Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Thank you so much for your sharing your experience with us. We are very proud to hear of Alice's
attention to detail and delighted she came up trumps for your family. Welcome back for your wedding in March.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Attended my cousins wedding last month and was blown away by Brownsover Hall

The hotel had buckets of history and was a super place for the wedding.

THe staff very really helpful, whether it was barstaff, waiting staff or the front desk.
They had alot of family/friends to contend with and were great.

The food was first class and the rooms were great.
You can either stay in the main house or the stable block. Mine in the main house was great.
It was clean throughout and felt liked it has been looked after.

Im looking forward to returning.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank LongmanCardiff

Thank you so much for your kind words and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.
We look forward to welcome you back on another occasion.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

The hotel is a lovely gothic type building set in wonderful grounds and the room we had, room 9 The Hayton Suite, was fabulous and overlooked the gardens, where wild rabbits were playing in the evening. My husband booked as a valentines treat, so we had a bottle of bubbly and some chocolates in the room, it all looked very promising. We decided that as the room was so nice, we would relax and order room service and that's when the problems began. We couldn't call down to room service because apparently you need to check in the phone as the charges were quite high to use it, there wasn't a menu in the room either, which I thought a little strange, so my husband went down to reception and brought one back up. We decided we would order a Brownsover Burger as this had been recommended to us as being nice and having loads of bacon and cheese on it and for desert we ordered chocolate brownies and ice cream. When the food came, the burgers had no bacon or cheese on and were smothered in barbecue sauce. The brownies were so hard, we couldn't cut them with the desert spoon or fork and ended up picking them up to try and bite through them........it was all very disappointing as this was supposed to be a special evening and the food is quite expensive too. In the middle of the night, my husband woke up and said something was wrong, then he spent the rest of the night being sick into the toilet. We did go down to breakfast to see if there was any improvement in the restaurant, but to be honest, I wasn't too impressed with that either. The bacon was ok and the scrambled eggs were a bit under cooked, I ate the mushrooms but not the sausage or black pudding and the beans were mushy and looked like they'd been kept warm too long......my husband just had some toast and coffee. After breakfast, we went back up to our room and slept a couple more hours as we were both exhausted after our disturbed night. The hotel it's self was lovely and we found the staff friendly and helpful, the room was lovely, the bed comfy and the bathroom spotlessly clean.....our stay would've been perfect if it wasn't for the problem with the food, I think I will drop the hotel manager a line about this, as I feel it should be looked into. I have been a travel consultant for many years now and have stayed in some wonderful places and some awful ones too, I would recommend this place for the lovely room and staff but would advise my customers to avoid eating there.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your comments. I am sorry the food was a disappointment for you on this occasion. We do pride ourselves in the quality, freshness and standard of our kitchen, so your experience is uncharacteristic. For information, we do take allegations of food poisoning extremely seriously and urge you most sincerely to consult your Doctor, so that we have an opportunity to make a thorough investigation. We served several portions on Beef Burgers on the night in question and have no other reported incidents. I am pleased you feel comfortable to recommend Brownsover Hall to your customers and look forward to seeing you back again.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

We returned 2/2/13 for a complementary stay following our previous one on 30/1012. This time we stayed in room 48 in the stable block which was really nice. The room is quite modern but with themed decor in keeping with the main house.
There was a wedding on but this didn't affect our stay & even though the staff were all very busy, they provided excellent service throughout. Our waitress was lovely (sorry I didn't get her name) and even though she was to finish at 11pm, by 11.30 she was still clearing tables which just goes to show what dedicated staff work there and some were back the next morning serving breakfast!
The hotel is very characterful, and you are met by a roaring log fire and a very attentive receptionist. The decor and furnishings are in keeping in the main areas and the bar dedicated to Sir Frank Whittle is very atmospheric. Only one criticism is the very slippy wood floor - one lady had a nasty fall partly due to her shoes combined with the slippy floor.
The grounds are amazing and it is definitely worth a visit if you like a walk. Cost wise, I think you have to realise its an old building providing a service in a modern world so some things need updating a little but I'm sure they will get around to it.
Overall, it was a lovely stay the 2nd time & we would like to go back in the summer when the gardens are in full colour.

Room Tip: We found the stable block more enjoyable as quite modern & very quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your review and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again in the summer when the garden is on full bloom.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Well, what can I say!! I brought my family, along with my elderly mother, here for a belated Christmas treat. My mother worked here when she was 21, (she is now 85!!), when the hotel was offices owned by English Electric. She is now virtually bed-ridden and has only been out of her house a handful of times in the last year. When my husband told her we were going to take her for an evening meal, bed and breakfast at the hotel, she cried!!!! She didn't think she'd ever go back to the place that had been so important in her life. She was very apprehensive at being away from home overnight as this is something that she thought would be too much trouble, especially in a wheelchair, so has never contemplated it before. SHE SHOULDN'T HAVE WORRIED!!!
From the moment my mother turned into the drive way, until she got into the car to come home, she never stopped smiling!! On our arrival we all, (there were 8 of us in total), were treated with the utmost courtesy and respect.
We were checked in by Laura, who dealt with us extremely professionally, efficiently and with impeccable politeness. We then went through to the bar where we met up with the rest of our party.
After, we all went to our rooms to freshen up in time for dinner. My mother and I were in Room 37, which is the fully accessible room. It was very well designed with plenty of room to get around with the wheelchair. The attention to detail was fantastic, which, is important when dealing with a person in this situation. The beds were extremely comfortable and the room felt warm and homely. Our room had a large window, which my mother loved as she was able to look out and relax.
Our meal was wonderful, and our waitress was polite, and extremely helpful. Our compliments go to the chef!! he is a very talented person! All our party were very impressed with the lovely 3 courses we had, and, having a large party, were impressed at the co-ordination and timing it was served ensuring our food was hot and arrived at the same time.
After our meal we, yet again returned to the bar, where we had a very enjoyable evening.
Breakfast the next morning was a choice of a self service continental, cold buffet or a traditional cooked english breakfast which was served to you. Our party, although wondering if we could manage breakfast at all from the meal the previous evening, all went for the cooked breakfast.
This was, yet again, hot and a very nicely cooked with a choice of items.
On our departure, yet again, we were dealt by Rebecca, with the utmost professional manner and politeness.
Our stay at Brownsover Hall was a truley wonderful experience. I was particularly impressed with the professionalism of all the staff. Nothing was too much trouble for any of them and the attention to detail was gratefully noticed. I did note that all the staff, as they walked past the window by the disabled entrance, looked to see if anyone was approaching, and opened the door for them! I must also thank Carl, who,made sure that the pathway from the stable block to the main building was clear of snow and had plenty of grit on, so as to make things easier with the wheelchair!!!
Well done and thank you to all for making such an important visit so memorable....we will defiantly be back!!!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ann P
gmbrownsover, General Manager at Brownsover Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

What a wonderful review, thank you so much. We are delighted to bring so much happiness and enjoyment to your Mother, in her trip down memory lane. I hope it is not too long before we see you back!

Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stayed in the Stables block. The furnishings in the room were tired and furniture chipped. The main light switch was cracked. The bedside lights had small candle bulbs which made reading impossible. There was no hair dryer. Grout in the bathroom tiles was mouldy probably because the Expelair wasn't working. The door into the room prevented the feature stable door from closing which created quite an obstacle in a smallish room. The bed was comfortable and the room quiet and so we were able to get to sleep.
The self-service breakfast was not an experience I'd like to repeat. The food on the 'hot' table was cold. Cold bacon,eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes etc all served with cold toast, cold coffee and fruit juice which should have been chilled but was served at room temperature.
All in all an experience I won't be repeating.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hovingham
gmbrownsover, General Manager at Brownsover Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Thank you for your candid comments. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. Rooms in the Stables, although still very popular with the majority of our guests, are in need imminently,of a thorough refurbishment. In addition we have an in house rolling programme of redecoration and will ensure the room in question is dealt with as a matter of urgency. Brownsover Hall has a variety of rooms to offer and suggest one in the main house would be more suited to your taste in the future.
I am sorry food items on the Breakfast Buffet were not at the optimal temperature and that you were not offered a plated alternative. We should have been more attentive to this.
I hope you will give us a second chance.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rugby
4 mi away
The Carlton Hotel
The Carlton Hotel
#8 of 13 in Rugby
Mercure Brandon Hall Hotel and Spa Warwickshire

Been to Brownsover Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!