“Poor”

The Old Royal Oak
Ranked #148 of 188 Restaurants in Rugby
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Poor”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We wanted chicken scewers but they had ran out of chicken.... Take 2 asked for gammon steak which is supposed to be served with chips but they had no chips they gave us options of potatoes ,mash,jacket or for an "EXTRA 69P... FRIES" . Take 3 we went for a share combo wish we had just left.... chicken wings prawn in batter mushrooms all cooked in wat seemed dirty oil. Poor won't be eating there again not the first time it has been poor..

2 Thank Blondie19831983

“Gone downhill!”
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

Visited on mothers day for a roast, I am vegetarian and the only vegetarian option on the menu fir a roast was unavailable, was given mash potatoes and extra veg instead, which was ok. Visited again today one week later and still no vegetarian option available decided I'd just have the same as last week but when my meal came out I had just been given extra peas! My whole plate was covered in them, the cabbage was cold as were the Yorkshire puddings. I asked to see the manager who did offer to exchange it or give me a free desert which I declined because I was totally fed up so asked for a refund the manager also agreed with me that my meal was of a poor standard. I have based this review on my last 2 visits as previously my meals have been fine.

Rugby, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I am the mother of "purplepoppy" who wrote a glowing review of our family New Year's Day meal at The Royal Oak. Today I went there with my other daughter for Mother's Day so we could enjoy a nice roast dinner neither of us had had to make. The experience was the opposite of our previous visit and reading the reviews on here the place does seem to fluctuate a lot. We waited an hour for our food to be brought out and when it arrived it was very disappointing. I had roast pork and the meat was the only good bit. The roast potatoes were hard, the Yorkshire pudding was very flat, the peas were ok, the carrots were too soft and the cabbage was virtually raw. Thank goodness my daughter had ordered some garlic bread beforehand, as that was delicious and filled us up. Several people came and asked if our meal was ok and I specially wanted to point out a potato that was black inside, but when I opened my mouth to say it they were heading off, clearly not interested in our answer. I will now think twice about going there again - if I do I won't be going for a Sunday roast!

• Visited March 2013
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Cheap and Cheerful! (maybe)”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Waiting staff and bar staff very efficient and cheerful, food very cheap and not so cheerful! This is a really lovely venue for a family treat or get together, but the food does leave a little to be desired. On the evening we visited the food was pretty below standard, even for somewhere so cheap. We ordered Nachos with bean salsa to share for starters, this arrived minus any sign of bean salsa and was cold in the middle. Sadly things didn’t end there, when we did get our food the fish was very overcooked, the Burrito was inedible and missing its corn on the cob and the Hawaiian Gammon was missing its pineapple and the chips were either soggy or hard and very undercooked.
That said the staff were lovely and dealt with our complaints well. I would visit here again as it may have been a 'one off' as they were busy (although not full) so in a way I'm reserving judgment, so in summery........
"Very cheap, but sadly if the food is always of this standard it does not reflect good value for money"

• Visited March 2013
milton keynes
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lack of interest by staff”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I visited this place on 21.02.13.Never again i wanted a jacket potato but only option was prawn cocktail.All other options were unavailable.So i had prawn cocktail on a dried over cooked potato with a small portion of past sell by date of salad.I also had a coffee it was disgusting.When employing staff in this place they should be taught to cook and make beverages.Not a good experiance. I asked to see manager,was told she was unavailable,but unbeknown to person i asked i know the manager and saw her walk through premises.

• Visited February 2013