“friendly staff huge portions”
Review of The Old Royal Oak

The Old Royal Oak
Ranked #153 of 204 Restaurants in Rugby
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

visited to meet with friends. lady helped us get table for 6 adults and 6 young children. food huge portions, wait wasnt too long. nice atmosphere. visiting again in a few days.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

Latest visit slightly spoilt by the wait for drinks. Apparently 2 staff hadn't turned up, probably put off by the two parties that were going on! Otherwise food value was excellent

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Went to Hungry Horse Hillmorton tonight to celebrate our daughter's parents' eve success. Very disappointed by the food we were served. The service was good but the food inedible. Ordered 3 burgers, one was for our 6 year old, ordered from the children's menu. Even though signs said children eat for £1 on Tuesdays they didn't explain that this would be charged at full price if a coupon was used. They also didn't point out that if we ordered her drink and a dessert at the time of ordering her meal we could add it for less than if deciding to add it later. The food arrived. My husband and daughter said their burgers were ok - not great, my daughter hated the peas (I tasted them too - cardboard flavour describes them best) but my burger was inedible. It didn't taste of beef and I'm not sure it was fresh. I sent it back saying I'd have the cajun chicken burger. I was told this would take 5 mins, fine, it did but when it arrived the chicken tasted plastic, was as hard to cut as plastic and was not even warm. I sent this back. I received an apology and was asked if I wanted anything else to which I replied not if the rest is of the same calibre. I was then offered a drink. I expected this was compensation but was later charged for the drink, although they told me that "we have taken the burger off the bill". Wow thanks for that! It was the least I would expect. When my husband went to pay he didn't argue about the drink but handed over a coupon for 20% discount from Invitation books. He was not told that if he used it all other promotions (eg free drinks with burgers and kids meals costing £1 would not count and ended up paying more than he would have done. NOT IMPRESSED!

1  Thank Eliruth
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Went New Years Day has booked a table in advance. We were sat immediately and drinks order taken. Unbelievable choice of food at great prices. Order and pay for food at the bar. Food all came together, hot and very generous portions. Staff very attentive despite being busy. All meals were very tasty. We were pleasantly surprised and will definitely recommend.

1  Thank purplepoppy
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Rang at 9.30am Sunday morning to book a table for 15 people at lunch time, very helpful, and nicely surprised at the quality of the food and the service, everyone got their food at the same time, Pleasantly surprised about the cost too for so many of us. Barman did get a bit muddled with the drinks order, but was put right straight the way. Everyone enjoyed their meal.