“Tired decor & 3am nightclub/bar boom music!!”
Review of The Rugby Hotel

The Rugby Hotel
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Rugby
Rugby, United Kingdom
“Tired decor & 3am nightclub/bar boom music!!”
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

Unexpectedly stayed here on a Saturday night & selected this hotel purely out of convenience. We were walk-in customers & charged £70 for the night. The decorum is very tired & old fashioned in places & really would benefit from the help of Hotel Inspector, Alex Polizzi! However, to it's credit, it's as clean. We were allocated room 103 which sits above the main entrance to the hotel & unfortunately is bang opposite Lloyds Bar which was playing boom boom boom music until 3am which didn't provide for a settled, comfortable nights sleep at all & we feel we should have been warned about this prior to taking our money & reservation. Of course post 3am we were then subjected to the various sounds associated to throwing out time of any disco-bar/nightclub; shouting, screaming, fights, bottles rattling, police sirens & vomiting; all of which again kept us awake throughout the night. In addition, we experienced additional disruption after the disco-bar/nightclub closed from the flag pole which was mounted to the wall outside our bedroom window; this was because it creaked & rattled all night & seriously needs an application of WD40! All in all, most definitely wouldn't stay again and/or recommend.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Navilluso

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Burnham-On-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

Very nice hotel, few little things could do with updating and a couple areas looked a little tired.

My room was a single and was ok, the bathroom was very small. I'm a slim built man and I could only just shower myself in the shower! Bedroom size for a single was good.

The bar area was a little tired, but the employees friendliness made up for this.

Breakfast was self serve and was good.

Overall nice place.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We booked the Warwick Room in the Rugby Hotel for a meal for 28 people to celebrate my 60th birthday. The room was perfect and well presented, lovely food served very efficiently and the staff couldn't have been more helpful. Thank you to everyone at the Rugby Hotel and I can recommend it to anyone who is looking for a good meal.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

I liked it ! The receptionist is so kind, the room is tidy and warm. If you have a long day , you can refresh and sleep in a good enviroment. There are lot of possibilities in the near .
Very good, I can recommend to everyone :)

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Was struggling to find a room last minute in the Rugby area - found this hotel on the web. It is located on a pedestrian High Street, so I had to park in the 24 hour ASDA behind the hotel (was a short walk). I arrived late after a long journey - the staff were very welcoming. It was a work trip and I had paid more for a room with a work area and I also requested a bath. I had to carry my suitcase up quite a few stairs (there was an offer of help, but it was quite light) - no lift. When I entered the room (on a cold Feb night), the cold air hit me immediately (a window had been left open!!). The radiator was freezing - I saw that there was a heater, that was plugged in - but absolutely no heat was coming from it. I rang down and they kindly brought me up a new heater......I'm sure this broke all sorts of H&S regs?! The TV was tiny and the "workspace" was about 60cm by 60cm and all the space was taken up with the kettle and Info book! I did get the requested Bath, but the Bathroom was so cold I didn't bother. Lots of drinks available and biscuits. Shower not very powerful in am and very cold. The staff were so nice - I did get money off when I politely told the truth when asked how my stay was. No time for breakfast - downstairs looked lovely - very modern. Not a great trip if I'm honest, but the brilliant customer service made up for the cold!! Bed was comfy and room was clean.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 7, 2014

I have been stopping at this hotel for about 7 weeks now on and off due to work commitments in the area. I can positively say it has been a very pleasant time, all the staff are very helpful and friendly, the breakfasts are a very nice standard with plenty of choice, and my morning chats with Nigel after breakfast putting the world to rights are always good for a laugh.
The rooms are of a good standard but the heating is a bit hit and miss but there has always been a fan heater in my rooms to keep it warm, the beds are very comfy and always had a great nights sleep. I do agree with some of the other reviews about the showers though depending on which room you get the showers can be a very low pressure but others are great. The free Wifi is very temperamental but apparently this matter is being looked into as the signal has a tendency to keep dropping off ( bit annoying when you are trying to watch sky go on my laptop). These are a few minor problems but it does not stop me from re-booking week to week as the rest of the service is TOP NOTCH. :-) The location is great if as I am you are there for the week you are in the centre of Rugby town with all the restaurants and bars.

Room Tip: 1st Floor Rooms seem to have better shower pressure and more stable Wifi signal.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

We held a team meeting in the hotel for about 20 people. Rooms were adequate although the showers were not great. Breakfast is straightforward and nothing fancy but hit the mark. The lunch menu was excellent - the burgers particularly good. Bar stayed open late which is always a positive.

For a work event, the hotel ticked all the correct boxes and I am sure we will hold another there at some stage.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business