“Very good value” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Rugby
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Very good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2010

No problems at all. Found the hotel to be very good value for money and much better value than some of the so called budget hotel chains.

Room looked to have been fairly recently decorated and bed was comfortable. Shower in small room off the main room but no bath.Television with all digital channels.

Unlike previous reviewers I had full English breakfast included in the price which was more than adequate.

Would recommend and would use again if in the area.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2010

Didn't have any problems staying at this hotel. Family run and you're always guarenteed a warm welcome. Seems to be a busy eaterie with the locals which is always a good sign. The food was excellent so I can understand why! Will definately be staying again at this place - creaky floorboards don't bother me. It all adds to the character of the place! Good to see an independant doing so well.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
leeds
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2010

I booked this hotel with some trepidation after reading some negative reports on the internet but it was ok and this is not going to be a negative report, although there are a couple of minus points.

Starting with the positive, the hotel has kerb appeal. It’s a white detached building set back a little from the road in a leafy village and it looks nice and inviting as you drive up There is an ample free car park to the rear. There is no formal reception as such but as I walked into the public area/bar a very helpful and pleasant young man came out of the back to greet me and I was checked in quickly without fuss. The public areas are nicely furnished with leather sofas and big cushions and clean modern carpets and curtains. The room I had, a single, was clean with a new en suite shower room. The shower enclosure was a double cubicle so plenty of room and it looked as if it had been recently tiled, everything was fresh and clean and modern. There was a flat screen TV wall mounted with Freeview. Also there was a kettle and plenty of tea and coffee. The room was clean and comfortable. The cooked breakfast was the standard full English hotel breakfast. The dinning room is lovely with a big bay window overlooking a landscaped garden. They also provide evening meals, I didn’t actually eat there but the menu looked quite good. The owner, an Irish guy, was friendly and helpful as was the rest of his staff which made for a very pleasant stay.

The negatives. The room I had on the top floor was up some very steep winding steps which I didn’t like; you should bear this in mind if you have any mobility issues as there is no lift. The bed was a bit creaky and not the most comfortable I have ever slept in but it was ok. The bathroom was fresh sparkling clean and modern but the bedroom would benefit from a fresh coat of paint and the carpet steam cleaning. No major problems with the room but it was a little tired.

I think this hotel is good value for money and very welcoming with good food its not 5* luxury but it's pleasant enough and I would probably stay here again if I were in the area.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Rotherham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2010

The Hillmorton Manor Hotel is in much need of a large dose of TLC, adept managment and a trained and effiicent cohort of staff.
I stayed overnight with my mother, we checked into the hotel after 3pm, the bar and eating areas were empty. There is no booking desk or reception area, I rang the bell on the bar to be greeted by a young woman and confirmed my booking. She proceeded to take us up to the "Twin room" that we had booked and led us up an awkward flight of stairs, all the while oblivious to or selectively dismissive of my elderly mother struggling to make it up there with her luggage. The room that was presented was actually a family room and not a twin, and it was roomy. However, I wish I could say the same for the Family bathroom, which contained shower, toilet and washhand basin and miraculously managed to be only the same size as my downstairs loo at home. It was impossible to alter the height of the shower and it offered a generous choice of either boiling hot or ice cold water! The complimentary toileteries on offer were pathetic too.
The room was devoid of the usual folder of information, which we thought was a pre-requisit in any hotel room, so VERY DISTURBINGLY, we remained blissfully ignorant of the usual dreary stuff such as - how to evacuate in the event of a fire, emergency contacts, blah blah blah. But, that didn't matter anyway as there was no phone in the room anyway and of course not forgetting -there is no reception oh, and no staff on at night either!
So in the cold light of the morning as we descended to breakfast, we passed scuffed walls, tatty sofas and stained carpets, to excitedly partake in our Continental breakfast. One young man pointed to a table in the corner, the 'last one left', implying it had been full - well no, it wasn't, only one table was laid and this one was covered in crumbs. We were pointed to a tea tray containing a choice of 4 variety pack cereals and a packet of Alpen. There was just one juice on offer. We asked for toast, that came but we had to share 3 butter packets and had a scintillating choice of either raspberry jam or marmite!
That, yes that, was the Hillmorton CONTINENTAL breakfast!! How absolutely outrageous!! To cap off a very disappointing stay, the young man (who was he? bar man? waiter? Henry the mild mannered janitor??!!), who had clearly been to the Basil Fawlty school of Hotel Hospitality, didn't even bother to ask after our stay.
Just don't waste your money on a stay at the Hillmorton Manor.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Rugby hotels

Lincolnshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2009

Awful service.
Family room - at the top of very awkward staircase.
No hot water at all and the staff clearly knew about this problem beforehand.
No staff in hotel overnight. Breakfast was supposed to be served from 8-10 - nobody turned up until 8:20am and then no apology was offered. In fact the only thing that was offered was an awful attitude. Without doubt the worst customer service I've ever received in an establishment calling itself a hotel.
The worst thing however was that I needed to store some medication in a fridge overnight. I carefully explained to the staff that I'd need access to this from 7am. I explained how important this medicine was and got the staff to confirm they understood what I was saying. This really is absolutely shocking from a hotel. I speak from experience - I am involved in the tourism industry and my family have run hotels abroad. I regularly use hotels and can say the service here was the worst I've ever had anywhere in the world.

Will not ever be returning.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank tafyobmils
Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2009

We have just spent a very comfortable stay in this family run hotel. The room was comfortable and well appointed and the food in the restaurant was excellent. After a day's work, it was the perfect place to which to return for a delicious meal and a good night's sleep.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Worcestershire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2009

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel. This place offers great value for money. You cannot go wrong with a hotel room of this standard for under fifty pounds. In the evening the lounge and bar has a friendly and relaxed atmosphere. The staff couldn't have been more helpful and attentive. We had not booked a room to include breakfast so this was extra (£5). I had no quarrels in paying for this as the quality of the Full English was second to none - freshly prepared (not sitting on a hot plate for an hour!). We had proper butcher sausages and bacon, which were absolutely yummy and something you rarely come across in ‘big’ hotels. Would certainly stay again and recommend.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple