“What a great night...”

and 1 more site!
The Hillmorton Manor Hotel
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Rugby
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We ventured into Hillmorton Manor not really knowing what to expect looking the reviews!!

We have to say that we had an absolutely fantastic evening. We were a party of 5 very loud ladies... the service we received was second to none and the food was outstanding. We took advantage of the steak and wine for 2. It proved to be excellent value and each and every meal and course we received were spot on.

Yep the decor may be a little tired but so what.... the service and the food was excellent,. So for us a real thumbs up and we will definately be returning.

So go ahead and treat yourselves to a lovely evening out where you'll be guaranteed of good service and food.

We could only review the restuarant as we didn't stay overnight.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank BaylissGroup

Reviewed October 30, 2011

I booked a twin room at the Hillmorton Manor. I'd visited many times as a child (wedding receptions and birthday parties), so I was excited to be visiting after such a long time. I was so disappointed!

On arrival we we're given the keys to number 8 (first floor, end of a long corridor - beware the drop in floor level - some of the automatic lights came on after I'd missed the step). On entering the room I immediately noticed the grubby skirting board and dirty pipes under the radiator. There was a paperclip, loose paint and bits on the carpet. It was also frayed around the edges (easily improved by cutting off all the curly bits!). The beds were missing mattress and pillow protectors (I was told they were new beds and protectors hadn't yet been purchased), and the duvet covers were completely open ended - the open end was left to dangle over the end of bed. The curtain tie backs were missing, along with some of the tie back hooks. Instead raw plugs were visible in the wall. One curtain was sellotaped to the wall (I was told that a customer must have done this). The waste paper bin had coffee stains running down the side, as did the 'clean' coffee cups on the grubby/dusty tray. The unholstered chair was stained and the inside of desk drawer was full of dust.

I wanted to close the windows as they all overlooked the car park to the rear of the hotel. One of the handles was broken off (it was on the window sill) so it didn't completely seal. The window in the bathroom could only be closed by standing on the toilet and hoisting up the handle over the frame. All the windows and sills were dirty, especially in the bathroom with black mould and dirty glass. The toilet brush handle was lying on the floor next to its holder. The outside of the toilet base was dirty, there were hairs at the end of the bath, and the bathroom floor was also dirty - I could feel bits on my bare feet. The corners of the bathroom floor were also dusty and there were cobwebs in ceiling corners.

I complained to the young girl behind the bar. She was very helpful and offered me an alternative. Unfortunately, although they only had 3 rooms occupied, including ours, there were no other twin rooms available.

Once tucked up in bed it has hard to avoid the smell of fried food. I eventually buried my head under the duvet to avoid the smell.

Breakfast was satisfactory. Four boxed cereals, orange juice and full English on offer. We were alone at breakfast - it seemed such a shame that this lovely hotel was so empty.

After breakfast I asked the lady on duty to come and have a look at our room as I was unhappy with the cleanliness of the room. I asked if she was the manager - she was in fact the owner. She said that she normally spot checks the rooms but hadn't had chance to do this before we arrived. THIS ROOM HAD NOT BEEN SPOT CHECKED IN AT LEAST 3 MONTHS. The owner agreed that the room wasn't acceptable and said that it needed a lick of paint. I said it needed a good clean. I was offered a £15 discount on our room rate.

I've stayed in many hotels and this was by far one of the grubbiest rooms I've occupied. Yes, the room, and the rest of the hotel could benefit from a lick of paint, but first and foremost it needs a good clean. The owner said the cleaner probably ran out of steam by the time she had reached the room we had stayed in!

I would much rather have left a glowing review. Hillmorton Manor please take notice of your feedback! You have a lovely building in a pretty spot. The staff seem friendly and helpful. The accommodation however is very disappointing. Unfortunately, we won't be visiting again.

Room Tip: Avoid room 8.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Jane B
Reviewed October 7, 2011

All i can say is if you like your room to stink of chip fat and to be told that your are a liar then go elsewhere. I stayed here for one night and wished i'd never bothered. Ok after some rather heated discussion i got my room rate back, but hell you'd not wanna meet this hotellier in a back alley for sure. AVOID, AVOID and thrice AVOID at all costs. There are plenty better places to stay than here. But on a plus point and it pains me to say a plus about this place, the bar staff all be it throu gritted teeth were extrememly polite and did their best to in first try to rectify my complaint. If I had a rouges gallery like Matt Allwirght on Rouge Traders you~(yes thats you Mr Quiqley) 'sir' would be pinned on the top of it.

Yours

Never ever staying again

Room Tip: i think my review says it all
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Paul N
Reviewed July 2, 2011

Do not expect good service from the megre staff on duty. Avoid the economy rooms, as they are shabby. My room was not cleaned at all during my three day stay. I had the full English breakfast on the first day but could not face it again, as it was so bland and sparse. The place is locked up by 10 pm and this felt as though the hotel did not care about their guests. It is so sad that a lovely hotel is being allowed to fall into such poor decline. I hope the owner's get their act together or they will lose my custom and I have stayed at the hotel many times but will be checking Trip Advisor before I say again.

Room Tip: Book room on front, first floor.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank CumbriaTone
Reviewed May 29, 2011

My husband and i arrived at the hotel after a gruelling journey from south wales,we walked into the bar area where two ladies were talking behind the bar.Iasked if this was the place to book in and the lady turned to me and said yes whats your name? Then she asked if i could pay as noone would be there in the morning,i found this rather strange.We were told we had room 8 she kept saying what a lovely room it was and how quiet ,when we opened the door it smelt musty and was very cold.
I went to the bathroom and there were hairs in the bath ,the room was very dusty,the skirting boards were dirty,but the worst thing was when we turned the quilt over there were hairs on the sheet and quilt cover. I will say when i complained the lady did change the bedding and said she would speak to the cleaner.For £65 pound plus £5extra for english breakfast the least i would expect is a clean room and bed i would not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank sandyswales
Reviewed January 17, 2011

We arrived on a miserable Friday evening in the dark and it was raining and after a hellraising trip up from Sussex we were not in the mood to have any issues and sitting outside that is exactly what we thought we were going to have but oh what a surprise.....the staff were fabulous, the room (No1) was spectacular, food and service unimpeachable and all for the princely sum of £45. You can't go wrong, honest.

Our room was immaculate and spotless, the bed was extremely comfortable and our room had tea/coffee facilities as well as a hairdryer and some complimentary toiletries.

Although the bathroom was bijoux to say the least, we have genuinely stayed in higher priced establishments and not had such a lovely overnight stay. Thank you Hillmorton Manor.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HorshamLass
Reviewed September 19, 2010

This is a lovely old house the room we stayed in was to the rear & very quiet, the bed was comfortable, we asked for the heating to be turned on & this was done straight away. A little extra money spent on the room would make a huge difference, the pull switch in the bathroom was grubby & had no end on it, some of the tiling was badly done, behind the toilet was dirty, & if we had wanted extra pillows we would have to have asked as the spare ones in the wardrobe were very dusty. The young man who was running the hotel was delightful with good people skills, he tried hard to ensure we were comfortable, he would make me want to return. Breakfast was fine we just had Continental but the full English on the next table looked amazing

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple