“Well placed, well appointed and well staffed! Will be back!”
Review of The Carlton Hotel

The Carlton Hotel
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Rugby
ruthh2801
“Well placed, well appointed and well staffed! Will be back!”
Reviewed January 26, 2010

As someone who is not used to travelling and staying away - particularly as a solo traveller - as part of their job, I was a little anxious about my two night stay in Rugby at the beginning of January. However, thanks to the Carlton I had no need to worry.
I arrived by train and after a difficult journey was pleased that the hotel was just a ten minute walk away. On arrival I was greeted and checked in by a staff member who then very kindly offered to help me up to my room with my case - an offer which I gladly took her up on! I was lucky enough to be staying in one of the boutique rooms (room 19) which I thought was lovely. It was immaculately clean, and the bottled water - shortly followed by a well deserved cup of complimentary tea - was very much appreciated! As promised by the brochure I had a flat screen TV with Sky available and was able to access the free wi-fi not only in my room but throughout the whole hotel.

I was particularly anxious about the prospect of dining alone in the hotel restaurant and almost opted for the room service option - however I'm glad I didn't . I ordered a drink and the lady behind the bar, the same lady who had helped me with my case, was very welcoming and made sure that I had a seat - and even introduced me to another of the residents who was from the same part of the world as I am. Over my two nights I tried food from the Table D'hote and the A la Carte menu and was equally thrilled with both. The silver service was another lovely touch, as was the value for money! I also enjoyed the cooked breakfast and was particularly impressed that when I said I was unable to have breakfast on my second morning, due to an early start, I was offered sandwiches to take with me as an alternative.

Over all I would say that as well as the hotel itself being well placed (right in the town centre near to the train station), well appointed (beautiful room and lovely facilities) and well staffed (I was treated with nothing but kindness), the attention to detail and little touches are what really made my stay there so enjoyable. In fact, when I return to Rugby later in the year for the second part of my course I will definitely be requesting a room at the Carlton Hotel! Well done Jaspal and staff!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank ruthh2801

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Rugby
Reviewed December 7, 2009

My wife booked a meal at the Carlton Hotel to celebrate my 60th birtday with friends & relatives. The whole evening went very well from the serving of the champagne to the cutting of the cake and the food was excellent as it has allways been on our mumerous visits to the restaurant over the years.
So a big thanks to all the staff at the Carlton for a great evening.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
uk
Reviewed December 6, 2009

We stayed here for one night as our friends were having a birthday dinner here and we didn't want to travel.

We found the location easily and parking was no problem for us.
We entered the premises straight into the bar where we were greeted.
The bar area was ok but I think it is in need of a quick update.
We stayed in room 20 which is one of the new boutique rooms, it was very nice and comfortable, containing all the usual items you would need.
The bathroom was nice with a good shower.

We ate in the restaurant and the food was excellent that night and would return for a meal there any day.

We had a good sleep, there was no noise and peaceful.

We were slightly disappointed that breakfast was so early on a sunday - 8am -9am with no exceptions.
We had breakfast included in our stay for £5 each. There was ceral and fruit to choose from which was good. However we were disappointed with the full English. It included the usual suspects but was very greasy. The bacon and sausage seemed not to be fresh and local but more multibuy which isn't to our own tastes.

For our needs the hotel was good, I would recommened this to friends but would say not to have the breakfast.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cat5716
JasRugby, owener at The Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2010
Thank you for your review.
Bar has now been refurbished-gone are the traditional curtains,wallwaper ,ceiling fan and canopy-all have been replaced with wood venetion blinds,light designer wallpaper,air conditioning etc.
Weekend breakfast times have been extended to 9.15a.m.
We only serve grilled short back bacon,althogh sausages are deep fried.
Wales
Reviewed July 26, 2009

We chose the Carlton because it was close to where we needed to be and we were
delighted, not only with the convenient location but also with the comfortable rooms and pleasant, helpful staff. This time we stayed on a B&B basis,but we'll definitely be going again and look forward to trying out the restaurant.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
glasgow
Reviewed June 19, 2009

Have stayed at the Carlton frequently over the last year and havent been disappointed yet. I have stayed in the large single and superior boutique rooms and found them both to be decorated to a high standard with everything you need in a hotel room including an ironing board and steam iron. Free internet access is also available.
The food in the restaurant is delicious, freshly made and very reasonably priced with the silver service making every meal a pleasure.
I have tried most things on the menus and havent had a bad meal yet.
The hotel is ideally located just a 5minute walk from the town centre and a 10min walk from the railway station.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank sc0ttishlassie
Yorkshire
Reviewed June 1, 2009

I have been staying at the Carlton Hotel for a period of 2 years on and off and can say without a doubt that it is the best hotel I have stayed at in the region and trust me I have stayed in most of them.
Cleanliness and attention to detail appear to be paramount to Jaspal and that is evident every time you walk through the door into the premises,friendly staff greet and see to your needs without question nothing seems to be too much trouble for them.
The restraunt food is simply superb good choice and cooked to perfection from obviously very talented chefs.
In the time I have been there I have seen constant upgrading decorating carpeting which you do not see very often in many hotels they take the money and dont care about the customer .
Congratulations Jaspal And Suki keep up the good work you set the standards the rest should follow.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank clive144
Monmouthshire Wales
Reviewed May 6, 2009

I like to stay in small independent hotels and support small businesses. I found The Carlton on Tripadvisor and was taken by the 'boutique' look in the picture and website. Reserved what was described as a large single. I was clear that I needed a desk to work at

Found that I had been assigned to the annexe - a couple of sad looking houses in the backyard that had been converted into several rooms. The room was small, drab, dark and really miserable nothing like the photo or website. As another reviewer mentions there is a very strong smell of toilet block (why is it needed in a clean toilet?). The outlook was onto the back of a van parked up against the window. It felt like the places the DHSS put you to get you ofthe street.

The walls are paper thin and they ask that you switch off the bathroom fan to avoid nuisance to other residents! I was woken by noise and the sound of switches being turned on throught the night.

The 'desk' was a nasty little dressing table - no chance of working on that.

I was so disappointed that I checked out early, losing the cost of later nights stay - so frustrated I almost reported them to Trading Standards on the basis of misleading photos (suggest that Tripadvisor removes it).

On the good side - I thought the room was clean and the evening restaurant staff good. I suspect that the rooms in the main building are much nicer - so if you have to stay insist that you are in there. My advice to the owner - use the annexe as an emergency overflow and make it very clear what you are staying in - and drop the price to £20/night

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank trevyrlady
The-Carlton-Hotel, Management at The Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2009
In response to trevyrlady’s comments, we would like to state that the photos used on our website are of our boutique rooms. It clearly states that we have traditional rooms and boutique rooms (which are more expensive).

When booking, trevyrlady did not request a boutique room; if she had, we would have been more than happy to accommodate her requests. None of our rooms have writing desks but they do all have perfectly adequate dressing tables, which in our 30 years of trading, have never been complained about before (and yes, they have been upgraded and replaced during those 30 years!)

It is true that the walls in our annexe are not very thick, which is why we try to use them for our business travellers, as they are much less likely to disturb other guests late into the night. We are also in the process of upgrading the decor of all of our traditional rooms, but as a small, family run guest house, we have to ask people to be patient as this has to be done in stages.

Unfortunately, trevyrlady did not inform us of her disappointment when staying; if she had, we would have done everything to make her stay more comfortable. It is a shame that instead, she decided to criticise us without giving us the chance to hear her views.