“food excellent”

Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Rugby
Rugby, United Kingdom
“food excellent”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

staff very good.within walking distance to town centre. and train station.i must emphasise the meal quality excellent.this is not a large hotel, all my company employees prefer to stay there rather than premier inn or travel lodge.because of family atmosphere and variety of meals and meal quality.this is not a criticisim of the afore mentioned.

Room Tip: all rooms are ok ,enjoy fhe food
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
JasRugby, Owner at The Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Hi Eddie,
Thank you ever so much for taking the time to review our hotel and restaurant, we look forward to welcoming you (and your colleagues) back again and again, to both dine and stay at The Carlton.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I stayed here recently and thought it was a lovely little hotel. The staff were great. We arrived at 10.45pm (later than the usual check-in time). The staff were very accommodating and waited for us to arrive and were very welcoming.
Our room, which was in a separate building to the main hotel, was decorated very nicely. The beds were comfortable and the bathroom was very clean and modern.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Rugby.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
JasRugby, Owner at The Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Hi Helen,
Thank you ever so much for your complimentary review and for choosing to stay with us here at The Carlton, we look forward to seeing you again when you are next in the area.
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Phoned hotel before booking, asked distance to train station, was told 2 minute walk, on arriving was told good ten minute walk, as I suffer with spinal problems this made such a difference, if we had been told this when I enquired I wouldn't have booked. Was offered a downstairs room, which was ok, bin broke in bathroom and the toilet holder came off in hubby's hand, couldn't get hot water in shower unless you had the bath taps on full blast cold. Stayed in many hotels wouldn't recommend this one.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hazel H
Hi Hazel,
Thank you for your review.
Regarding the time from the railway station to the Carlton, sorry but there is no way that we would tell you that the station is two minutes away when it is infact about ten minutes. Maybe you misheard us, we do not give out false information to maybe secure a reservation.
We also changed your room to a ground floor room when you mentioned that you had back trouble- although you did not request a ground floor room. The bin and toilet roll holder fitting had simply worked loose.
UK
Reviewed June 11, 2013

As a family we have often gone to the Carlton for special meals as we always get good quality food and great service. For the price and what is included its unbeatable. What made it more special recently was when the staff realized it was my parents in laws 50th wedding anniversary they made the table special and provided a card. This made the occasion even more special and both parents were impressed by such good service.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hi Mark,
Thank you for taking the time to place a review of our restaurant on tripadvisor, and thank you to you and your family for choosing to celebrate special occasions with us here at The Carlton.
We are pleased that you enjoyed your meal with us and look forward to seeing you again soon!
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for almost three months and the service was always excelent, the room was lept clean all the time.The people were always very kind and the food is awesome.
The location is also good as it is near the train station.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Rafael_Fialho
Hi Rafael,
Thank you ever so much for your review of your stay with us here at The Carlton, it was a pleasure to look after both yourself and your wife during your stay in Rugby and please do not hesitate to contact us if you should return to Rugby.
aberystwyth
Reviewed June 2, 2013

after arriving in Rugby late in the evening, we were very lucky to have the last double room in the Carlton.The room was situated at the rear of the hotel facing the private car park.
The room was spotless and the bed, very comfortable which resulted in a good night's sleep.
We reserved a table in the hotel's restaurant, the service and food turned out to be first class.
The overall experience was so good, we decided to book a second night's stay.
I do suggest that if you are lucky to find a parking space in the hotel's car park, reverse your car in readiness for your exit.
We will return.

Room Tip: rooms at the rear of the hotel facing the car park
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank colin p
JasRugby, Owner at The Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Many thanks Colin for taking the time to post your kind review of The Carlton on tripadvisor. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us so much that you chose to stay for a second night!
It was a pleasure to look after you in both the hotel and restaurant over the weekend that you stayed and we look forward to seeing you again when you are next in the area.
Bath
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I'll start with a bold statement: this is comfortably the best £60 a night hotel I've ever stayed in.

Everything & everyone was nothing short of fantastic, from the moment I checked in until the moment I checked out. Particular highlights for me were:

The room - I left my booking until fairly late, so I ended up in a superior twin room & was pleasantly surprised to discover that it actually was superior! It was beautifully decorated and really comfortable. My one concern, being pretty tall, was how I'd sleep in a single bed, but there was no need to worry, as I slept really well. Little touches really enhance a room for me, and the addition of a tea pot to the tea/coffee tray was much appreciated.

The food - I was expecting decent food from the sample menu on the hotel's website, but I really, really wasn't expecting silver service. The food was absolutely superb, and it was nice to see a dessert trolly for the first time in about 20 years!

The staff - Staff can really make or break a hotel stay & The Carlton has managed to recruit some fantastic team members. The staff in the restaurant were brilliant, as was the youn lady who checked me in on arrival. Despite the fact I'd booked a twin room, she was really apologetic about the fact I'd have to sleep in bed, and offered me either a change of room or to come and push the beds together for me.

Free WiFi - A huge bonus for me, and presumably for other business travellers. It was easy to access & fairly fast.

Thank you to all associated with The Carlton, I'm already looking forward to staying with you next time I'm in the area!

A huge

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
JasRugby, Owner at The Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you ever so much Graham for such a positive review of our hotel, we are pleased that you enjoyed your short stay with us here at The Carlton!
We believe that it is the little touches that really add to our guests' experiences and appreciate that these touches are noticed by guests such as yourself.
We look forward to welcoming you back here at The Carlton again very soon.