“Great grounds, shame about the rest”

Bosworth Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Market Bosworth
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Great grounds, shame about the rest”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My friend's daughter bought a package for her birthday and I was invited along. We were excited about our spa break but what a let down. After a lovely drive up and a great lunch on the way we arrived at this impressive building and could not find a parking space. I parked sideways on some tree roots and went to reception where I was told it was hard to believe there was no parking - so not a good start. Then we went to the room - two single beds pushed together in a box underground that had about 18" all round. We complained and moved. It seemed ok, certainly better. However, the cleaning which seemed ok at first seemed skimped because I found a used snore stop nose sticker on the floor by the bed and there was dried faeces on the toilet pan and seat and mould around the bath. The norm for everything was queue and wait - for registration, our included beauty 'treatment', our included Pimms and strawberries, our drinks from the bar, our included buffet dinner and our included breakfast. The latter were both buffets that were definitely not gourmet but edible and copious. I went for a walk in the evening and the grounds are lovely, as is the old manor house hall (the main hotel is in the stable block). This hotel is understaffed with people who understandably and a little grumpy with guests. There were four coaches in while we were staying at this hotel but it seemed the staffing levels were set to cater for 50 or so people.

Room Tip: Try and get above the first floor as they are all dark and some are 'underground'.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,198)
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I normally read trip advisor before a visit to a hotel and this time I didn't- what a huge mistake!! It is exactly the same as what everyone has mentioned:
- queues for everything (not just 5-10 minutes but 30 minutes every time!!)
-room was disgusting, filthy, outdated (felt like we had been locked away somewhere!!)
-dinner was awful and was in the strangest most sterile room I have ever experienced!!
- staff were grumpy and rude
- the bar run out if ice and once they had done more I was told that under no circumstances was I having more than 1 ice cube. I told them this was ridiculous and he glared at me!! So rude! ( although the lady who runs 'Jenny's was the only decent member of staff there !!)
- bar area garden was full of rubbish and never cleared

We normally stay for as long as we can, but it's the first time that we have got up for breakfast early and left straight away as we couldn't be there for another minute.

We were away for a night away from the kiddies and I have to strongly recommend that u don't visit this hotel if u want a nice night away.
The only saving grave is that all of the other visitors in the hotel feel the same way and that u end up laughing about it together as its the only way to get through the horrific experience!!
They don't ask u if u have had a nice stay when u leave as they know what the response will be, they just grunt at u as u leave.
Such an amazing setting and awful behind the scenes.....shy don't management sort it out??!!!
Can't stress strongly enough how awful this place is.........

2 Thank beccabiggs

Travelers are raving about these Market Bosworth hotels

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I know you will get many different reviews about this place but being totally blunt the hotel is beautiful and the grounds are amazing. The only issue for my generation is that it is clearly run for the older generation. The rooms are dated and the environment is dated. But what I will say is the staff are struggling as numbers are low but they do everything they can to help. It's managed poorly with staff numbers. The deal itself is great for the price if you can get a voucher for the hotel. We got ours through wowcher and the deal is great. I would recommend the stay just don't expect luxury expect value.

3 Thank Dharry2004
Tonbridge
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

I will keep this simple, as there are far more eloquent reviews here which say it all.
Basically, this beautiful building has seen better days, it needs a massive cash injection only a new owner would provide.
Everything is dated, poorly maintained ( except the grounds) and the staff need training in customer service, hygiene and manners.
For a brief example, we wanted coffee on the terrace with friends who were local. This could not be provided at the bar, so we asked at the restaurant, this was not going to be brought to our table so we waited until it was made. It was totally unpalatable, Luke warm dishwater! A replacement was reluctantly provided, but no suger. Then two knumbnuts decided it would be an ideal time to sweep up the mountain if cigarette butts that surrounded the terrace tables, they did this with a lithargic lack if enthusiasm, completely ignoring our equilibrium and swept under our table, despite us being the only ones on the terrace! Hopeless, and typical example of the staffs lack of customer awareness. BRITANNIA you've failed this place, move on.

1 Thank Gasman900
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Stayed for a New Years Eve Gala dinner.
Room was lovely, everything you needed. The hotel was tidy and well looked after. Staff very accommodating. The grounds well kept and a great place to walk after a long night.
Food was very good even on a mass scale however, did also have dinner and breakfast on another night and that too was very good.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

I have just returned from a 5 night dinner bed and breakfast stay at this hotel .The weather was sweltering all week and after a long drive from London we were greeted by a lovely smiling receptionist called Mandy. She remembered my telephone conversation regarding my request for a ground floor room for my guide dog after almost a week previously. What an asset to the hotel she is! Our room was spacious, clean and everything worked. Comfy beds and a nice view over the magnificent grounds. To be honest , the location of the hotel, beautiful village and the the very friendly staff , made our stay a great success. During the week , the hotel guests were mainly senior, on coach trips, and very polite and friendly but during the weekend a different breed of folk descended on the hotel! Some were wedding party guests hell bent on getting smashed and showing no respect for the staff and grounds. Whilst the other type were clearly on a group on or travelzoo cheapie weekend. Lording it up as though we're the lords of the manor.the charming and incredibly hard working head waitress did a great job organising the maurading crowds as they tried to pile as much onto their plates as possible! To sum up,great location, friendly staff and a value break away from the stresses of the city. Shall return to the hotel in autum as the grounds I'm sure will look great that time of year but will stay Sunday to Thursday to avoid the weekend madness. Don't listen to the moaners and try it for yourself

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Anthony C
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

I must begin by saying it was exceptionally warm for the UK (30 C) and the discomfort we had due to the heat wave was out of control for the hotel staff. We were using the very popular groupon deal, which was the only saving grace - I would have been demanding a refund but for that!
The management ARE to blame however, for the lack of staff servicing the bar. Having to queue for over 10 minutes for the welcome Pimms and strawberries was ridiculous , the queue problem was there for both of the two nights we stayed on July 15 and 16.Also I felt so sorry for the bar staff having to wear waistcoats and ties during the intense heat. The hotel does not have ANY A/C by the way.

The buffet dinner was average at best and more the sort of thing I would expect at somewhere like Butlins (no disrespect , they may be better) a couple were seated next to us following another couple that left. The napkin and cutlery were THROWN onto their table whilst they were getting their soup. OUTRAGEOUS behaviour by the waitress (I don't care how busy how were madam!)
The room itself was small, the bed was like a plank of wood and tiny. The shower went hot and cold at will.
The window opened 3 inches max which was ridiculous! We went out and bought a fan which helped.
It's place obviously used to be very nice but it has been left to rot.
The nearby restaurants are very good, so I suggest you eat out, better still , stay at one of the many B and B places close by.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Days Inn Leicester Forest East M1
Kilworth House Hotel
Kilworth House Hotel
#1 of 1 in North Kilworth

Been to Bosworth Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!