“Great pub, really poor restaurant food and breakfast”
Review of The Howard Arms

The Howard Arms
Ranked #1 of 3 Ilmington B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 1, 2012

We stayed for a weekend and were celebrating my husband's birthday. We really liked the pub and the staff but the restaurant is not impressive.

The restaurant prices are quite expensive and given previous reviews we were expecting higher standards. The starters we ordered were worse than poor and we decided to complain - those plates of food should have never left the kitchen. The manager agreed promptly and was very professional at dealing with the situation. We asked for bread - which the restaurant charges for! then serves poor microwaved bread! I have to add we were not charged for this which we appreciate or the starters. We cancelled our main course and ordered steak which was good (but not exceptional). The next morning we had breakfast which was below par - again poor quality corner shop bread, really poor quality sausage. We like the place but since we paid a lot more to stay in a pub with a good restaurant - we were disappointed by the overall experience.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank World T

Reviewed May 29, 2012

My wife and I stopped here for one night last week and were really impressed with all aspects of our stay. The Howard Arms has all the best features of a classic country pub. Additionally, it offers a top quality dining experience and excellent accommodation. Our bedroom, the Village Room, was comfortable and roomy, with a nice view over the village green. Our stay was further enhanced by the terrific weather which our hosts laid on for us, allowing me to sample their excellent local ales in their very pleasing beer garden. All of the staff were friendly and efficient. Ilmington itself is a picturesque village and an ideal base for visiting Stratford and the surrounding area.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 17, 2012

I booked a table and room here for my husbands birthday, we live nearby but with 2 children and an overnight babysitter we wanted somewhere cosy but close to home, just in case. We stayed in the summer room which was perfect, a nice king size bed, flat screen tv and fab shower and bath. A lovely lady showed me to the room which was perfect. The meal we had was delicious, I was nervous as I hadn't been here for a while and some of the reviews on ta weren't great. Both our meals were well cooked, well presented and tasty. The only let down was the puddings for me but that's only because they had nothing I fancied. I'm sure they wouldn't have been great. My only slight, and it is slight niggle was the menu in the room info book wasn't the menu in the restaurant, it hadn't been updated. I would definitely go back here for food and to stay.

Room Tip: They all look great
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 3, 2012

I went to the Howard arms last Saturday(31/3/12). It was a bit hard to find so we were driving around but definatly worth the wait. It is tucked away in a quaint little village. The staff were polite and seemed to know what they were doing. Me and my wife had a miniature ham, egg, chips for starter. VERY NICE. Well presented. I had my main off the specials menu which was duck leg with a duck wonton, again the flavour was exquisite. I'm not a huge fan of duck but decided to try it and I'm glad I did. To finish the meal my wife had chocolate tart. I didn't have room for anything. It looked great and she said it was fabulous. If you like going further afield for food this place is well worth a visit. Great value for money and the food was so flavourful. 5* would def go again.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed March 25, 2012

For our third visit to The Howard Arms we took our walking buddies who frankly were becoming somewhat sceptical about our rave reviews on the "Illmington Experience".
Our hopes were amply fulfilled with the glorious weather complimenting the stunning walks, beautiful Cotswold scenery and the village itself, but sadly The Howard Arms fell short of our (admittedly high) expectations.
The warmth and sincerity of our reception, the slick and professional attention to detail and the general "feel" of the place seems to have defaulted from exceptional to average.
OK, we are demanding guests (we prefer discerning) but even having negotiated terms down from "expensive" to "about right" when we booked, niggles about a corkage charge (legit. but irritating), a dangerous loo seat, bath plug that didn't and other very minor issues that were not instantly dealt, left us disappointed.
We will probably give somewhere else a chance next time.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank AdTheLad
Reviewed March 19, 2012

We visited this pup approx 6 months ago and had a very pleasent experience, great food and hospitallity. We decided to visit again at the weekend whilst in the area, what a difference! What a mistake!!!!!

My steak was served on an old piece of wood with 8 chips stacked like a game of Jenga, and a few mushrooms in a 'basket' and there was no salad to be seen. Poorly presented and not worth the money being charged. My wifes meal arrived in a small dish with no vegetables etc. We decided to leave only paying for our drinks and leaving the meal untouched. The attitude of the snooty woman in charge of the restaurant did little to improve the atmosphere of the place. I have been in doctors waiting rooms with more atmosphere.

If you dont mind paying high prices for inferior quality then this place is fine but if you want good food at a sensible price and have an enjoyable time keep well away.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ashers61
Reviewed March 8, 2012

Stopped for lunch by chance - very good, friendly service and lovely food. Went back for the launch of their new menu and stopped for the night - Cotswold Room. Food and service at dinner were excellent - the place was fully booked but service remained cheerful and very efficient. A good mix of dishes on the new menu. Baked cod was especially good and the pineapple dessert. Room was lovely - altho' pricey for a pub. Excellent, freshly cooked breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChristieMidlands
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ilmington
Buckland Manor
Three Ways House Hotel
Three Ways House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Mickleton
The Old Kiln House Bed and Breakfast
The Old Kiln House Bed and Break...
#1 of 11 in Shipston on Stour

Been to The Howard Arms? Share your experiences!