“Celebrating our wedding anniversary”
Review of Nuthurst Grange

Nuthurst Grange
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Never been before but will visit again. Food &. Service excellent. Room a little tired but very spacious & comfortable

Reviewed August 2, 2013

We went to the Nuthurst after a long gap. This was once the best restaurant in the area for fine dining - high cost but excellent. Great for special meals and important clients. Stopped going after a change of ownership and fall in standards. Recently read good reviews (on TripAdvisor) so tried again and really really regret it. Starter and desert were average at best but the mains were shockingly poor. We had 3 well described tuna main course. The tuna smelt and tested so much like poor gammon we had to ask if it was really tuna - chef said it was but I still cannot believe it. The biggest shock came with the bill. £183 for 4 people with 2 glasses of wine and soft drinks. We were the only table in the restaurant last Friday - we now understand why.

Paul H, Owner at Nuthurst Grange, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2013

Thank you for your review, I do feel that your review was inappropriate of your evening at Nuthurst Grange.
Your guests chose to eat off two different style menus, selecting starters from our informal lounge menu and main courses from our a la carte menu.
Three of your guests chose the starter "Tuna nicoise style, poached hens egg, confit tomato, parmentier potatoes, coriander cress". Their comment to our waitress was that it tasted meaty and joked asking if they could take their leftover starter home for the dog. Our waitress replied that tuna is a strongly flavoured meaty fish. Maybe you thought you were getting tinned tuna?
I feel that your comments you have chosen to share on trip advisor show that you are not experienced diners as otherwise you would be aware that tuna along with swordfish are always described as meaty fish.
You chose to sit in the informal Orangery rather than in our Kingswood restaurant where you would have been with fellow diners .
I have looked back at my records for the last eight years that I have owned Nuthurst and have no record of you ever dining with us before.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Perfection for a formal dinner. They don't put a foot wrong. Been dining here off and on for 20+ years. Recommended for that very special occasion.

1  Thank Trickytraveller123
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We came for the Sunday lunch option at Nuthurst Grange and it was a fantastic afternoon which is recommended to anyone looking for a special afternoon out.

On arrival, you are offered a drink and canapes in the drawing room, which is a lovely and relaxing way to ponder the menu and the various choices. After our order was taken, we were escorted to our table in the conservatory which has lovely views over the hotel gardens and the valley.

Our starters arrived very prompty and were thoroughly impressive . My scallops with black pudding were perfectly cooked and the quality of black pudding was very good without the heavy greasiness that can sometimes occur.

For main, I had the lamb with aubergine caviar and roast potatoes which was a very generous portion with a sizeable bowl of seasonal vegetables on the side. Whilst the aubergine caviar was somewhat bland and failed to make much of an impression on the dish, the lamb was soft and delicious, while the potatoes were rich with the flavour of the jus.

The chocolate fondant for dessert came with a perfect oozing middle and did not remain uneaten on the plate for too long. However, the mint marshmallow and chocolate jelly on the side were of such small proportions that it was not possible to make out the flavour properly, more than a small smattering was definitely needed.

Finally, the petit fours served with the coffee were delicate and offered a very good variety of flavour and texture (with the mint marshmallow making a pleasing return appearance in much larger size).

Special mention must be made of the wonderful service offered by the staff, it is very polite, never intrusive and very attentive.

Overall, it was a wonderful relaxed experience with only a couple of minor points in relation to the food that take away from the full 5 stars. We are really looking forward to returning soon.

1  Thank purple_grape25
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Having eaten here before I was delighted to find out that this was our venue for what I thought was a small family lunch. It turned out to be a surprise party for my 60th birthday and I can honestly say it could not have gone better.
Everyone and everything was just so nice! As more and more 'unexpected' guests arrived we were comfortably accommodated in the bar area where delicious canapes were served and then went through to the Orangery which was allocated to just our group. Lunch was excellent; good choice, hot plates (a must in my book) and everyone was very pleased with what they had ordered and we didn't feel rushed. The service was sufficiently attentive and timely without being intrusive. My husband who arranged the whole thing was also very pleased with how things went and how pleasantly and efficiently it was organised. Thank you everyone at Nuthurst Grange.

1  Thank gomeercatgo