“Lovely hotel with great rooms”

Nuthurst Grange Country House Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hockley Heath
Dublin, Ireland
“Lovely hotel with great rooms”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Stayed here on a business trip for 2 nights. Weather was terrible but the hotel was great - excellently furnished rooms with large bathroom, minibar, and all the trimmings, good service - would highly recommend for a weekend break or a comfortable overnight. Didn't get to see much of the countryside because of the fog & the snow!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Worcestershire
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Looking for a restaurant for a wedding anniversary meal, we chose Nuthurst Grange primarily because the route was least likely to be flooded, Worcestershire currently doing its best to turn into a rather large lake! It proved to be an excellent choice - just off the M40, along two or three small country lanes, but well signposted in the dark. I did have some concern as we arrived since a large wedding was in full swing - but this proved to be no problem, and the evening reception seemed to be in a seperate building.
Food was excellent, thoroughly deserving its two AA rosettes - creative and elegant. Staff were friendly, helpful and attentive, and running to time in spite of the wedding. My only (small) gripe was that the orangery restaurant where we were seated (presumably because the wedding reception had been in the main room) was a bit chilly, and I was glad of my stole. But the seats by the gas-fired but convincing roaring coal fire in the lounge were lovely on a night when the weather was vile!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Portiaworcestershire
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed as part of a group attending a family wedding celebration, having booked a twin room. We found the staff friendly, helpful and efficient. We wanted to extend the check out time and this was no problem and there was no extra charge. The room did have twin beds - but they were both doubles and there was still plenty of room! The room was well equipped and whilst the batroom was a little "tired" it was fine although the water could have done with being a little hotter.
The Stables function suite was just right for the event and again there was good and attentive service.
The breakfast menu was good with hot food freshly cooked to order, much better than buffet style.
A good experience and would definitely stop again if needing an overnight in the area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Norfolk
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I've given this hotel an 'average' rating although I felt it was borderline with 'poor'.

4 of us stayed at this hotel recently and were, overall, disappointed. The hotel looks lovely on the internet but the service, generally, really lets it down. On the night we arrived we felt we were a real inconvenience and not at all welcomed. One of our rooms was a suite, which initially looked fine, but unfortunately the windows didn't fit the frames properly so we had the pleasure of listening to the motorway all night! The bathroom was attractive and the Molton Brown goodies are always well received.

The service in the bar was appalling. It was seriously like a scene from Fawlty Towers. The bar-man had 2 guests to serve and it took about 20 minutes! The manager took our food order and it clearly wasn't a pleasurable experience for him. Once we were at our table in the Orangery things did improve. The food was good and the waiting staff pleasant (but the coffee was disgusting; why is it so difficult for restaurants to serve decent coffee?).

Breakfast was surprisingly good (I can recommend the haddock kedgeree) and the waiting staff friendly.

Overall though we were really disappointed with this hotel. It is an attractive building and the decor is fine but unfortunately a lot of the staff don't seem to understand the concept of customer care.

Would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't waste your money on the king suite which faces the motorway as the windows don't close...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank BabsNorfolk
Paul H, Owner at Nuthurst Grange Country House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Babs
First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your reveiw, I would also like to apologise for any inconvenience caused during your stay with us in October.
I can assure you, that at Nuthurst Grange we take these reveiws very seriously and have taken all your comments on board and all now have been rectified.I have also passed on your comments to our pleasant waiting staff, and were happy that the Molton Brown products in the attractive bathroom pleased you.
I would appreciate if you could contact myself or Alison Lord direct at the hotel to discuss this matter further.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have attended a function at this Hotel a few times as my Head Office is in Birmingham.
I have also had an overnight here as well due to business.
The rooms are very nice with a few nice touches, the grounds and gardens are well maintained.
The food is excellent but not too much (complaint of my colleagues) but enough for me and ver nicely presented.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank yvonne_sharp
Paul H, Owner at Nuthurst Grange Country House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Yvonne

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this reveiw.I am so pleased that you had a enjoyable stay with us at Nuthurst Grange and especially enjoyed the nice touches in the bedrooms I shall ensure the team are made aware of your compliments, especially the groundsman for maintaining the grounds to a exceptional standard and from myself and all the staff at Nuthurst Grange we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Stayed on the 8th October and I was very pleasantly surprised, as someone who stays at hotels every week and at hotels around this area monthly I was very impressed with Nuthurst Grange the food was fantastic, I eat out at least 2-3 times a week so am a hard customer to please. The rooms were very large the staff were very friendly, helpful and professional and the bill was very reasonable, I will be back. A lovely hotel thanks.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Martin L
Paul H, Owner at Nuthurst Grange Country House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear Martin, Thank you so much for your review, what wonderful comments you gave.
I am so pleased that our AA Rosette Award ( For Culinary Excellance ) restaurant, impressed you. We pride ourselves on Four Star quality from initial telephone call to departure. Our bedrooms are also designed to a high standard that comfort and relaxation are paramount. I shall pass, all the comments that you made to our friendly,helpful and professional staff. Thankyou again Martin and we shall look forward to welcoming you soon.
Sandown, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Originally booked as a 3-star but discovered it now has 4* rating - totally justified. Lovely room, relaxing, staff very attentive and great service. The evening meal in the Orangery delightful and food was of excellent quality. A real gem in the Solihull area that we will definitely visit again. Much nicer to stay here than in BIrmingham if you are visiting the NEC too!

Room Tip: Lovely room with 4 poster but at 5 degrees, v. cold in the morning and we couldn't find how to s...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank babsbutler
Paul H, Owner at Nuthurst Grange Country House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear Butlerbejay

It was wonderful to read your comments on Tripadvisor and all the staff here are very proud that Nuthurst Grange has been awarded AA Quality Standard Rating of 4 Star. We are delighted that you had a relaxing stay with us and enjoyed your evening meal in the Orangery and look forward to welcoming you back with the excellant service we always aim to achieve.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hockley Heath
Forest Hotel
Forest Hotel
#2 of 2 in Dorridge
Nailcote Hall Hotel and Golf Club

Been to Nuthurst Grange Country House Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!