“Could do better”
Review of Beambridge Inn

Beambridge Inn
Reviewed April 13, 2014

'Recently refurbished' is how the Beambridge describes itself; 'A work in progress' is how I would describe it. There are definitely some signs that some work has been done, but it is a long way short of a complete job; the ceiling was fresh and white and the 'feature' wall looked good, but the rest of the walls were in desperate need of a matching job and the flooring was dirty, stained and old, as were most of the electrical fittings. Similar story in the bathroom where the sink and shower appeared quite new but the bath was chipped and the flooring was in desperate need of replacement. The bath mat should have been replaced years ago - split and horribly discoloured, Dead flies in the light fittings left me with the distinct feeling of a lack of effort. Door handle/lock was obviously old and worn and difficult to lock. Breakfast followed the same pattern - could have been so much better with some care and effort - looked like the bacon had been cooked a long time ago as it was dried and tough and the 'Beambridge Breakfast' was about 50% baked beans, most definitely NOT good value. Given it's somewhat out-of-the-way location and the competition from the Travellodge up the road, the Beambridge is going to have to raise it's game if it is going to survive. On a positive note, the bed was HUGE and I did sleep ok - no problem at all with train noise even though the main line is only about 30 yards from the bedroom window.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
cdhaitch, General Manager at Beambridge Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

I am aware that some of the flooring in the rooms require replacement and this is being addressed as is the bath mat. Having served you breakfast, I was not aware that you did not enjoy what was served as I would have been happy to replace anything that did not meet your expectations, but my checks with your group left me thinking that all was to your satisfaction.

That said, I have discussed your review with the chef and housekeeper to ensure that we understand and where relevant, action the details of your comments. We do not profess to be perfect but all genuinely honest appraisals of a guests stay are welcomed, preferably at the time, since we can attempt to address any issues during the visit to the guests benefit and improve standards generally. Thank you for your views.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

When I arrived at this hotel it was closed and I was left stranded in a dark rural area, late on a Sunday night and a considerable distance from home without accommodation.

I was later informed that the problem was a clerical error with the hotel. I therefore suggest caution if you are considering booking with this hotel. I don't know the details of the clerical error however the impression I am left with is that this place is unreliable, not to be trusted and unprofessional in how they go about business. In my opinion the manner in which they resolved my issue leaves much to be desired.

This place seems to have good reviews and I may have just been unlucky but do you want to risk travelling hours from home to find the building in darkness and your accommodation closed?

My advice is to look elsewhere, there are much better options in the local area.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
cdhaitch, General Manager at Beambridge Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Further to our email communications I wish to publicly apologise for the admin error that created the situation of you arriving at the Beambridge after it had been closed. As I had previously explained the reservation had inadvertently been allocated to the wrong day in error, which I acknowledged immediately and also stated that without reservation would reimburse you any out of pocket expenses.

Using your legal Profession "speak" it was clear from the outset that our failing had created a claim opportunity and my out of pocket expenses would not placate. You cited before the night was out, that "letters of action" would be sent to the internet agent and ourselves. Furthermore you stated that phone calls and receipt timings would provide you with evidence in presenting for legal proceedings, whilst applying your charge rate of £100 per hour and that I should consider the civil procedure. This seemed a little out of context for a room booked for £37.50.

My responses to your communications were always prompt, courteous and professional. I had reimbursed your account with the difference in charges for the accommodation and a compensatory sum about 1 hour after you had submitted a copy receipt and feel that I could not have dealt with the matter any more efficiently or expediently.

In this case, despite my unreserved apology, prompt acknowledgement, immediate reimbursement and your initial gratitude in my speedy dealing with the matter and acceptance of full and final settlement, your full appeasement would have only occurred had I reimbursed you as if I had retained your services. This is simply not justifiable and the level of compensation offered and accepted was commensurate with your booking and our mistake and not your hourly work rate.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

Stayed here 18th february. Room relatively ok although toilet wouldnt flush away number twos!! TV handset wouldn't work. No wifi although advertised as having it throughout hotel. Landlord said it was down. Really needed this as I was away on business so found this most irritating. Evening meal....what a joke. Function room packed and bar and restaurant jammed. Two people on behind bar. Waited 10 minutes to get a drink and gave up. Asked landlord if I could have a table and was told there was not much chance. I told him I was a resident and although he said he would see what he could do, I was not optimistic.....and went elsewhere. Was told later it was the Pony Club "do" wish I had been told this at time of booking. I stay away very regularly.....but never here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed December 30, 2013

WE booked two nights after Christmas wanted to meet the family in Wellington. Hardly could sped one terrible night there ,Dirty room, junior bed, cobwebs in all corners , old linen , you will be lucky to get clean room. £50 per night ((( Room was number 8 , in room 4 toilet didn't flash .
Never again.

Room Tip: There is no good rooms in this B&B
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 8, 2013

We probably should have realized that to book dinner for three on a Saturday evening in December was not a wise move!
There were at least two largish parties in progress when we arrived, and it was nearly an hour from the time we sat down until our meals arrived.
Having said that, the service was cheerful, the food and drink prices were modest, and the menu was fairly varied, if predictable - no specials board here!
Probably best to avoid busy times - there is a weekday carvery which may offer best value.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We popped in on the off chance to get a meal and despite having two parties there, one wedding and a Golden Wedding celebration we were warmly welcomed. The food service was excellent. Food arrived promptly and the waitresses were very polite and helpful. We loved the food; very good quality and a wonderful carvery, plenty of hot veg. the waitress informed us when our meals were about to be brought out so that those wanting carvery could get that at the same time as the other meals arrived. Well done Guys. We will be back

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

Rooms clean and spacious. Comfortable beds. Being next to the railway we didn't find the trains an issue. We were able to sleep through no probs. only fault is there is some refurbishment in the rooms to freshen it up a little. We found the staff lovely and the two owners very helpful

• Stayed: September 2013

Been to Beambridge Inn? Share your experiences!