“Very poor experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Matricardis

Matricardis
Cuisines: Mediterranean, British
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Birmingham, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very poor experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

After hearing good reviews a group of 8 of us visited Matricardis for dinner on a Saturday evening. The restaurant was quite full, but not at capacity.
I find it hard to express what a disappointing experience we had. Service was some of the worst I have ever received, with very slow taking of orders (we had to ask before they were taken), forgotten drinks- even after multiple reminders, incorrect side dishes served and exceptionally long waits between courses. Requests were either forgotten or ignored by the floor staff, who seemed to be actively trying to avoid any contact with the patrons in the dining room (not just our table). This can be summed up by me waiting for around 5 mins by the kitchen door for someone to come out so we could request the bill, without a single waiter or front of house present in the dining room (in the end I gave up and left and let the other members of my party get the bill).
The food ranged between average and terrible, my wife and I ordered medium rare steaks- at approximately £19 a head. Her steak ranged between very well done and raw (literally beyond blue), with mine so gristly and poor I only managed about 2 mouthfuls. We didn't want to order anything else due to the wait we had for the meal in the first place. In fairness to the restaurant they deducted the steaks from the bill (after the waitress checked this would be OK), but they were still happy to serve and attempt to charge at these levels for really poor food.
The chicken liver starters I ordered must have been cooked for an age on a relatively low heat- so dry and with no finish to them like you would wish for with liver.
The deserts were quite good however.
There was a very clear sense of frustration across the whole restaurant- I assume due to the service, making it quite an unpleasant place to be.
With such other good places to eat in Henley and nearby, I would simply say avoid Matricardis at all costs

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank athtub

Taplow, United Kingdom
“Great Full English!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

The full english (or Big Breakfast as they call it) was so tasty! Sausages and bacon were of good quality and eggs were poached perfectly.

Visited October 2013
Henley in Arden, null, United Kingdom
“Just right”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

Matricardis is our restaurant of choice in Henley in Arden at the moment. The menu is extensive, with something for all tastes - recommend the cannelloni, beef bourguignon or lamb koftas, but the fish is excellent too. Service is quick if they aren't too busy - we regularly take clients during the week, meet up with friends in the evening, or just drop in for a cold Peroni occasionally. With so many great restaurants in this part of Warwickshire, we are spoilt for choice, but Matricardis holds its own well.

Visited September 2013
United Kingdom
“Good food in nicely warm decor”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

Ate here on a Monday night pretty early in the evening – the pub area to the front was busy the restaurant at the back was just us – so not a great atmosphere. Décor-wise though it is really nice, I liked the rich red tiles around the bar area and the wallpaper was pretty cool. The lights dim for atmosphere but seems they are on the blink as they did randomly increase and decrease in light at times.

The service was friendly and efficient while the food was good. The menu is very large which made me worry about the quality, but it was still good – we had pasta dishes and they were warming and filling without losing their taste in the way some heavier dishes can.

On a busy night it must be very nice indeed. The prices are a little high for some dishes but generally it was good value for money. I’d like to visit when it is busier but for my visit it was pretty good.

• Visited September 2013
“Birthday celebration”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

I visited matricardis for the first time on sat 28/09 ... I'd heard a lot about the place , and booked , 3 weeks prior to the event as we were a table of 8 to celebrate a birthday. ..... What can I say apart from the fact at least 4 of the party were looking forward to a nice steak , to be told " we don't have any steak " and then when we decided to order the wine , "sorry we've run out of Sauvignon blanc " ......, what kind of restaurant is this !!!!! One run on a budget obviously !!

• Visited September 2013