“Very nice food and good service ocnsidering there was 40+ of us!”
Review of The Dun Cow

The Dun Cow
Ranked #3 of 9 Restaurants in Dunchurch
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Dun Cow in Dunchurch is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We went as a church group, ranging in ages. Food was lovely, piping hot, staff coped very well with there being 40+ of us plus a full restaurant!

Reviewed January 7, 2014

I visited with a friend on a Sunday night. It was a bit of a gamble as it was a last minute decision on our part and I hadn't eaten there for many years, but I hoped it was of a similar standard to what I remembered. We entered the bar area and asked the bar staff if there was a table available and I was told that I would have to stand in the waiting area and wait for a member of staff to allocate a table for us. We waited for 10 minutes to be served and were each handed menus.
I was expecting "normal" pub fare in a relaxing atmosphere - what I wasn't expecting was to be presented with an array of what I can only call 'pretentious, arty farty food',
From the look on my fellow diner's face, I can only presume that he felt the same.
We both ended up skipping starters and going straight for the main course, and we both had gammon steak.The meal was basic, the gammon overly salty (a cheap cut), the new potatoes were dry, the peas like bullets, the pineapple was so unripe the flesh was white and the rind bright green and the meal left a nasty taste in both our mouths, which we tried to get rid of with the vile lukewarm coffee we were served. To top this off, we had to chase the waitress up for both cutlery and condiments as she walked away as we were trying to point out that we had no forks, and then again when my friend wanted vinegar!
I'm surprised my friend paid as he joked at one point for me to leave the table so we could do a runner, it was so bad (it was a tongue in cheek joke and not something we would ever dream of doing).
Definitely will NOT be eating there in future or recommending it to anyone - I've been recommended the Green Man instead.

2  Thank ArizonaPie
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Main meal delivered 50 minutes after ordering. No explanation or apology for delay. Ordered coffees and cold desert when plates were cleared and chased after 30, 40 and 50 minutes to be told they would be out in a moment. After an hour a young man came to tell us they didn't have the deserts we had chosen so we decided to leave at that point. When we went to pay the bill they tried to charge us for the coffees and deserts we had not had! No apology at the time or response to the 2 feedbacks left on the website asking for them to get in touch over a week later. Very disappointed and will choose one of the many other establishments in the area in future.

1  Thank Tracey B
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We visited on a very busy lunchtime before Christmas and, although we hadn't booked, the waitress found us a small table beside the fire in the far room. We expected to have a long wait for food as the whole place was packed but our food arrived promptly and was well cooked and enjoyable.
Our waitress, though extremely busy, was very friendly and attentive. I don't know her name but she has dark hair tied back or in a bun - an asset to the Dun Cow as she is always charming. Very good value - 2 soft drinks, mains and coffees for 26 pounds.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

We had booked a table for 8 and have been to the Dun Cow many times, however, I was surprised at the negative comments made about the staff and waiting times etc. We were naturally apprehensive about our booking, but were immediately met by friendly staff, Lisa our waitress was brilliant, very attentive but not over the top. The food was good, hot and served all together. Wouldn't hesitate to eat here again.