“great birthday meal”

Dun Cow
Ranked #3 of 10 Restaurants in Dunchurch
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Dun Cow in Dunchurch is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
Leicester, United Kingdom
“great birthday meal”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

decided to eat here for my birthday meal with my family. we had booked online for a table of 4 for lunchtime on a friday, and when we arrived we went to the bar, where a friendly member of staff took our drinks order. we asked her if we could add the drinks to a tab, as we had a table reserved. she was extremely helpful and actually came from behind the busy bar area and went to see if our table was laid out for us and led us to it. we had a table by the beautiful fire (as requested on my booking form online), which we were very pleased with. the pub was busy and atmospheric!

we all had a wine which was lovely. we each had starters, main course and dessert - couldn't fault any of it. it was all delicious and presentation was very good. had read some previous reviews about this restaurant and complaints about the service being slow and food taking a long time. i didn't think we had to wait an unusually long time for our food, and personally i don't mind waiting a little while between courses. we are there to enjoy it, not rush it!

service was average - the waiter was decent enough but nothing special, but this didn't affect our experience at all. we had no problems.

had a lovely long family lunch and really enjoyed it here. will be coming back soon! thanks!

• Polish first
Rugby, England, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Who's overseeing matters here?”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

A meal out at the Dun Cow is ALWAYS problematic, and witnessing other customers making complaints about their food or lack of service is, sadly, a regular occurrence here (and we’ve made our own complaints on various occasions too).

I think management need to make a decision on whether the Dun Cow offers waiter service or not as the current half-hearted approach just isn't good enough as it makes for a confusing and uncomfortable experience for the diner.

Staff seem stressed and demoralised – and, frankly, with such apparent lack of direction, I'd feel the same if I worked here. More staff are needed, along with a strong waiter service component, which would make matters more pleasant for all concerned - and would encourage tipping too.

I'm afraid I won't be back until the staff situation is resolved as eating out shouldn't be so stressful.

(As an aside, the Dun Cow had some really lovely fishcakes on the menu until recently - which many of my friends liked too - the new recipe isn't up to scratch, folks, along with your service.)

1 Thank Neonflower I
Morpeth
“Looks good from outside Poor Inside.”
Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

Stopped on our way back from NEC after walking round for several hours we were ready for some good food. The pub was cold in most rooms set out for eating. Had to look for a menu. Ordered at the bar. Food arrived had to send side order back due to been Cold. Service was average. Food Poor. Will drive past next time in area.

1 Thank DeanDeb23
“Poor service and food but good location and ok atmosphere”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

The dun cow really annoys me, as a local, because it could be a brilliant pub but it isn't. The service is slow, the bar is always understaffed and the food is usually cold. I decided to forgo the food on my most recent visit and just have a pot of tea but even this had been stewed within an inch of its life and was lukewarm. Not to mention the fires aren't being used therefore the place is cold. Please sort it out Vintage Inns, it would only take a moderately capable manager to hugely improve this place....

1 Thank Foodforthought_Rugby
Rugby, United Kingdom
“Great food, Great place, Slow, slow, slow service”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Had lunch here today with my wife. I had a seafood platter, my wife the Bacon and Brie Ciabatta. Prices were very reasonable including drinks; however the service was extremely slow, so much so that we neded to ask for the billl as we had become bored waiting to be asked for further drinks, puddings etc. It was like we did not exist after we had been seated and were eating. The Dun Cow missed, out as I was hoping for another couple of drinks and my wife wanted a pudding and 'special' coffee.

We had not been to the Dun Cow for a while as it usually involves one of us driving but today was a bit of a treat as we were both off work at the same time, a shame for us as we are usually very willing to leave a tip for good service but that was not the case today.

Cheers