“felicitous friendly and fluffy”

Village Green Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dunchurch
Village Green Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Dunchurch
cold up north
“felicitous friendly and fluffy”
Reviewed May 24, 2009

A real little gem of a hotel bang in the middle of the picture postcard village of Dunchurch. My wife and I stayed here during the end of may bank holiday looking for somewhere quieter than Rugby. The centre of the village is anything but quiet, but don't let that put you off, there are some beautiful strolls to be had around the area of the church and the village has some important historical connections. The hotel gave us a very warm greeting and all the staff were friendly and helpful. The room (we had room #2) was as clean as a nuns conscience, the only gripe being it had a tiny bathroom. A comfortable bed was complimented by fluffy pillows and a thick, quality bedspread. On sunday morning we had a hot buffet breakfast which was faultless. Small, personal touches make all the difference. Parking was easy, even on a bank holiday. And free.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank corneleus

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
UK
Reviewed November 21, 2007

What an enterprise this hotel is! Apart from rooms in the main hotel building, there are rooms and apartments in the houses behind the hotel with their own entrances and car parks. All completely re-furbished in stylish form and subtle colours. We stayed in Gallery 1, a room up some outside steps in a little group of three rooms: there was a nice shared lounge, and a kitchen and breakfast eating area. Ideal for a family group. We had a very comfortable bed and a large modern bathroom. All spotless and comfortable if a reasonably modest size.
There is free broadband Wi Fi all over the hotel. There is a Coach House with various bedrooms a Lodge House, and a thatched cottage, as well as Elmdene House with rooms and a nice lounge with a full size snooker table! Some accommodation is let by the month to people who are e.g. house hunting. We had excellent English breakfasts (including very good black pudding), served by mature ladies who were extremely friendly and cheerful. Not cheap, but good value at £79.50 (£10 off normal price). We were impressed, and will recommend it to friends.

• Liked — Very comfortable bed, excellent breakfast, close proximity to good pub restaurant and other eateries.
  • Disliked — No views to speak of.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Sussex
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2007

Stayed at hotel for a couple of nights during business trip.
Was allocated the 'Victoria' room and a little taken aback to be greeted by a four poster bed when I entered the room but it was extremely comfortable.
Usual tea/coffee facilities. Room clean and hotel tidy.
My only problem was a noisy extractor fan in shower room which
decided to run until the early hours of the morning despite all my efforts of closing door, opening door etc.
Overall nice hotel in a nice village - check out the amazing carvery in the Huntsman Restaurant a few doors along, trust me you will not be left hungry no matter how big your appetite

• Liked — Hotel Character
  • Disliked — Noisy extractor fan in shower room
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Terry2552
Cambridgeshire, UK
Reviewed August 5, 2007

My partner and I were going away for a quiet weekend together and wanted to stay at a nice village hotel. Having read the other reviews on Trip Advisor I thought that this hotel sounded perfect.

We stayed in the "Gallery" which is a small annex of three rooms which are slightly separate from the main hotel.

The positive things about the hotel are that the rooms are large, beautifully furnished, very comfortable and extremely clean.

The negative things were that:
(a) when we stayed the weather was about 25 degrees C and even then the bedrooms were extremely hot and very stuffy.
(b) 2 of the rooms in the gallery are directly above a very busy, narrow road. Therefore, when you open the windows to get some air to cool the room down the noise is unbelieveable. The road gets a huge amount of lorry traffic all day/evening and from about 5am. It is quite a narrow road and therefore the lorries hit the curbs constantly and make a tremendous crashing noise each time. I am very noise sensive so I wear earplugs but even those couldn't keep out the noise. My partner who can sleep through most things couldn't sleep because of the noise.
(c) the curtains in the rooms are very pretty but don't keep any light out at all. You can read a book without additional light from 5am (which is handy I suppose as you are probably awake from the heat and the traffic noise).
(d) in the gallery there is a small breakfast area where they leave out the continental breakfast and you make it yourself. Bearing in mind you are paying about £80 per night for a double room we couldn't understand why they didn't provide breakfast at the main hotel.

When I very gently brought up these issues with the hotel receptionist, she didn't look at me while I was talking (carried on working) and then said "did I put it on the feedback card?". There was no apology or attempt at showing any genuine interest. This was particularly poor. I have worked in the hospitality industry myself for a number of years and, had I been a stroppy client, she would have inflamed the situation by ignoring me. As it was, I was so exhausted from lack of sleep that I just gave up.

Overall, would I stay at this hotel again? Well, my partner says absolutely "no". I don't think I would either as there are a number of hotels in the area for a similar price and we had a really bad experience at this one. It's a shame really because I think it is probably a nice hotel. I suppose I might go back if they could guarantee that I was going to be in a quiet room with curtains that kept out the light.

• Liked — nicely furnished, clean rooms
  • Disliked — heat, noise, curtains that didn't keep the light out
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Padfink

Travelers are raving about these Dunchurch hotels

Paris
Reviewed May 9, 2007

Rugby and Coventry are ugly towns, so it is wonderful to come upon the Village Green, a small, cozy, very clean place just down the road, featuring the kind of friendly welcome, charm and comfort you always hope to find, slightly off the beaten track (but not really, as it is ten minutes from the M1 motorway). NOT a big hotel, just a tiny, very English place-- albeit with smiling eastern-European help in the back, like most hotels in the U.K. these days-- where you are treated as an individual, and remembered when you come back.

It is not a big place, and if you come in after about eight p.m., they will give you a code to get in ("The whole village knows it") and leave your keys on the desk. There are steps up even to the ground floor rooms, stairs and no elevator to the upper floor, which might be hard for some people. The rooms are fairly small but pretty and well furnished, most with a desk and chair, some with armchairs as well, and the showers are plain but clean with plenty of switch-on hot water. It is a pleasant hotel for a short stay, but not a place to hang out, as there are no public rooms except the breakfast room.

The rooms are named after significant people who have passed through Dunchurch, a quaint village with several thatched roofs that used to be a major coaching stop on the route north from London-- hence the Guy Fawkes plot connection. The church and pretty churchyard are a nice little walk, and across the street is the bustling Dun Cow pub with real fires and very decent food--I especially like the fish and chips and the desserts.

My only complaint is not with the hotel but with the locals. My rented car, a Mercedes (the only one available without a stick shift, but this ostentation apparently annoyed someone), was "keyed" while in the parking lot of the Dun Cow, and I had to pay 175 pounds to the rental company. I have often been warned that the parking officials are strict here as well, so get advice about where to leave your car.

• Liked — Convenient location, comfortable, clean, friendly; also charming
  • Disliked — Stairs; no public rooms
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Bracing
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 15, 2006

Our son found this little gem where four of spent a wonderful night while touring the country side of South Western England recently.
Rather than staying in the actual hotel part we were in a detached unit at the back of the hotel. This unit had two bedrooms each with its own bathroom, a living area and kitchen. One of the great things was that the kitchen was very well stocked with a wide range of breakfast foods and drinks, this enabled us to have breakfast in the comfort of our own kitchen without having to get dressed and go to the main dining room.
Everything about the unit was wonderful, very clean and well maintained, well set out and it had ample parking right outside our door.
The staff were very helpful and recommended a nice restaurant just around the corner for our evening meal.
The village of Dunchurch is a quaint little English village with a significant history connected to Guy Fawkes and his fellow conspiritors
We can very highly recommend this unit in the hotel especially where four people are traveling together.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunchurch
Dunchurch Park
#12 of 13 in Rugby
The Grosvenor Hotel
The Grosvenor Hotel
#11 of 13 in Rugby

Been to Village Green Hotel? Share your experiences!