“Been to this hotel before...has gone down in service in my view”
Review of Dunchurch Park

Dunchurch Park
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Dunchurch
Preston, United Kingdom
“Been to this hotel before...has gone down in service in my view”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Nice hotel. Have been here before but this time experience only average, which is disappointing.

I had to wait for some time to check in....only one person on reception, who was on telephone, I arrived at 8pm. I had to stand and wait at least 10 mins before getting attention.

Once attended to I asked if room service was available (I have to say I had experienced a 5 hour delay on M6 on getting to hotel), I just wanted to get checked in and have a meal in my room. I was told quite abruptly room service was not available and not part of the service.

I find this rather astonishing and not good customer service.

Irrespective of that I did go to restaurant & bar......which is difficult to establish where it is, but on finding it, is really not visitor friendly regarding signposts.

On reaching restaurant and bar, staff were excellent. Regarding menu...very poor, food delivery good, food content very average, value for money...poor.to very poor.

I am sorry to see that in past year this hotel standards have fallen significantly, which is a pity. But on finding restaurant and bar service was excellent. Menu was poor and rather expensive as to what you get.

Regarding hotel visit I did ask for a telephone call wake up...that did not happen..a good job I brought my own alarm clock. I had made a specific request for an early wake up call..but no-wake up call given. Very poor service.

It is a pity as this hotel has lovely settings. I do not know what has happened with this hotel but certainly standards have dropped significantly over this past year.

Room Tip: This could be an excellent hotel, just be aware of its drawbacks, such a shame
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Officereplies, General Manager at Dunchurch Park, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write the review about your latest experience.

I am sorry to hear about our shortfalls and as much as the team try hard we do not get it right all the time. We did experience a situation last week where I had one member of staff on holiday and another one on sick leave which sometimes left us VERY short on reception.

However being spoken to abruptly is not something I will tolerate and will be speaking to the Reception Manager about this issue at my earliest opportunity as well as the failure to carry out the early morning call.

I must challenge your statement though regarding the service gone downhill over the last year just because of an isolated and unfortunate experience. I will leave the readers to conclude if they agree with you once they’ve had the opportunity to read other reviews, specially the one posted after yours.

It is worth mentioning that the reason why we have not offered room service for the last 6 years or so; because the bedrooms are detached from the main building and when we did offer room service the food temperature plummeted causing the guests to complain hence the reason why we abolished room service. If you asked for some sandwiches or salads I am very positive we would have served you with pleasure. Maybe the 5 hour journey reflected your views of Dunchurch Park!

Having said the above I or the duty manager would have welcomed the opportunity to discuss these issues in person.

Yours

George Briffa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Kent
Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the dunchurch park hotel and conference centre to attend a business conference. The hotel is located in the grounds of parkland and has a nice old world country park feel to the place. The hotel complex comprises of old historical buildings mixed with new conference facilities. The rooms are located around a square courtyard and surprisingly modern and well appointed. Breakfast was held in a big communal restaraunt and the business lunch was held in a large marquee.

Overall the experience was positive. The conference bedroom rate was excellent, however, improvements could be made in staff efficiency e.g. Reception which took an absolute age to process guests - start and finish. Furthermore at night, lighting is very low around some building entrances which may challenge poor sighted visitors.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I have been to Dunchurch Park on two occasions, one for a works Christmas doo & the most recent occasion was a wedding. Both of my experiences with Dunchurch Park have been excellent. The wedding was perfect, beautifully dressed room, fantastic food, clean & tidy rooms & helpful, friendly staff. The grounds were spotless & the sun shining just topped the whole day off.
Considering the wedding we attended was a very large one all the staff looked after each & every one if us! Keep up the good work!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank April S
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2014

This was my second hotel in Rugby this week as I had to leave the Travelodge because of the appalling service. The Dunchurch Park is in lovely grounds and the staff were efficient. The room was a bit dated but as it was only £40 it didn't matter that it didn't look like a magazine cover. I wish that I had booked my 3 night stay here instead of just arriving for the last night. The bar area is lovely and freshly decorated and the toilets and reception area were tastefully decorated also. As with all big old buildings there are a few little things required to bring it up to date but don't let that put you off. Any staff that I came into contact with were courteous and professional.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank NewWeekNewHotel
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Attended a wedding at Dunchurch last weekend and it was beautiful. Grounds and rooms where the wedding took place were simply lovely. Considering they were cooking on mass, the food was amazing ! Best wedding food I've had before ! Staff were helpful and catered to all guests needs. The only let down were the rooms. For the amount we paid, it wasn't up to the standard we expected. The bathroom looked unclean and there were stains in the toilet. Okay for a night, but had I seen the room before paying I wouldn't have paid full price for it.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 9, 2014

My wife and I attended a presentation at this hotel on 6th February 2014. Everything about the food was good EXCEPT THE LAMB, which was awful. It was the toughest lamb I have ever tried to eat. My wife, who doesn't like leaving anything, gave up halfway through hers because only gristle remained - about half the joint - and it looked awful ‘ – crinkly, just like tripe.
Everyone on our table complained about this meat. I didn't cause a scene because it would have disrupted the presentation, but if I had paid for the meal, I would have created merry hell!
Still trying to contact the hotel but it seems no one will answer, and I’ve tried 3 times on different days and different times.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Tony J

Travelers are raving about these Dunchurch hotels

Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Reception did not divulge clear information about bars, Restaurants or times to eat. Didn't even mention breakfast! Directions to the room were terrible! The room was not clean. The cushions stank. The bathroom was discusting with badly stained toilet and awful mould around the bath. My son and daughter enjoyed an evening meal but breakfast was over priced and lacking in choice especially the continental. The plumbing made an awful noise throughout the night and meant we got no sleep! We shall not be returning.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Cathy_Cooper
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunchurch
Brownsover Hall Hotel
The Carlton Hotel
The Carlton Hotel
#8 of 13 in Rugby
Mercure Brandon Hall Hotel and Spa Warwickshire

Been to Dunchurch Park? Share your experiences!