“Disappointing place” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Dunchurch
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
“Disappointing place”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

My company arranged a team meeting here but it was not the most enjoyable stay. I travelled down the night before so I needed to add an extra night's stay. In order to secure our company discount rate I had to book the room via phone and this proved to be a most frustrating exercise. It took several attempts to get through to Reservations. When I finally got through the person I spoke to was clearly not English and I had great difficulty in getting her to understand my booking. A number of colleagues had similar experiences so I rang back a couple of days after making the booking to confirm the booking details were correct; unfortunately there were not so I had to go through the process again. This was not a good start.
Our rooms were in a block some way from the main hotel and the walk was difficult given the very bad weather conditions. The bedroom was very small and not very well heated. The food was very disappointing; poor choice of breakfast items and the evening meal was insufficient and rather tasteless.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

We had a thoroughly enjoyable New Years Eve at Dunchurch park. Their black tie evening would be hard to beat, with great food, scottish pipers and fireworks it was one of the best New Years Eve's I have had. Our room was comfortable too, a definate must do again experience!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jo P
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

Excellent setting for a day conference, meeting etc. Easily accessible in the middle of the country.
Food was ok, nothing outstanding but again nothing poor either. Drinks at the bar very expensive.

Bedroom block (yes a flat roofed building in such grounds) was a complete disappointment, travlelodge-esqe bed mattress was totally unacceptable as you could feel the springs, room too small, heating would not switch off. Noise unacceptable, can only be paper thin walls between rooms both upstairs and adjacent. Shame really as could be so much better but would need significant investment

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Officereplies, General Manager at Dunchurch Park, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to place your review.

I am delighted to read your positive comments about Dunchurch Park Hotel.

I am very surprised to read that the food was Ok; I shall be looking into this as we are normally highly praised for the quality of food we provide.

As you know I contacted you personally to advise me which bedroom you stayed in so that I can take immediate action and replace the mattress. If you brought this to our attention rest assured that we would have changed rooms for you and the bedroom would have had a new mattress by now. I will also be looking into the noise you mentioned to again rectify whatever the problem is.

Yours

George Briffa
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

I stayed there as it was on offer by the way breakfast extra, looking at the website the rooms looked fantastic, facilities looked good and food and a bar on site. Checked in was OK, but once I had found my room some 300m away from the reception and car parking a similar distance I was really disspaointed in the dormitory style room- past its best. The pictures of the hall are quite decieving and not true to the place.
Eating, no menus as the six were out and the bar man did not offer to look for one, drink prices shocking. Breakfast was served in the Lounge, second morning no one there and no help from the staff to offer and explanation and after walking around the hall whcih is quite large, I found the second breakfast room. Imposing large and now self service. Seating arrangements were well not welcoming. The last morning woken at 0600am with an alarm sounding for around and hour and half!!!, it seemed the front of the dormitory style building was open for the linen delivery!!, bathroom laid out with very basic bar of soap and shower gel. One good point the towel rail was nice and hot.

Room Tip: When booking find out where your room is, mine was miles away, car was parked some distance away, re...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Officereplies, General Manager at Dunchurch Park, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Guests

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry to learn of your disappointed stay. However I must comment that;

We offer rates to include breakfast and or dinner as well as room only. You obviously choose the room only option.

Our website as well as the travel agents make guests aware that reception is detached from the bedrooms, are the bedrooms 300 metres away? Sorry no the furthest from reception to bedrooms is no more then 70 metres. With reference to car parking, as a well travelled person you must appreciate that car parking spaces closer to bedrooms are designated for disabled guests. There are closer parking spaces for guests and they are on a first come first taken basis.

The type of bedroom you booked reflects the tariff you paid and can only presume that you were on a budget hence the reason you booked on Room only basis. In the last few weeks we have completed the refurbishment of most bedrooms and public areas, as to the pictures on our website they do reflect the majority of the bedrooms available at Dunchurch Park and perhaps if you decide to stay with us again please ask for one of the more spacious bedrooms.

On Friday 18th January we are launching a brand new and extensive menu and as we are running down our stock we designed a new interim menu, having checked with the restaurant supervisor I am told that the ones we had printed were being browsed by other guests. I am sorry to learn that you had difficulty locating the breakfast room. Dunchurch’s infrastructure allows us to dedicate a breakfast room according to the number of guests expected. We feel serving breakfast in the normal Great Hall with few guests (specially this time of year) will not be prudent hence we allocated a smaller room (The Lounge) overlooking our terrace with excellent views of the gardens.

I am also sorry to read that you were disturbed so early in the morning. It transpired that one of the guests accessed the car park through the fire exit doors which activated the alarm.

Yours sincerely

George Briffa

Travelers are raving about these Dunchurch hotels

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

The Dunchurch Park Hotel did us a real favour at Christmas by agreeing for us to stay in one of their rooms, despite us being the only residents over Xmas. We were spending xmas with family in Dunchurch and needed accommodation for us and our small baby, and would have been stuck if the manager hadn't agreed to accommodate us. I was a bit dubious about what we might find when we turned up, but was really pleasantly surprised. The room was spacious, with sofa area, dressing table and good sized bedroom and tv. Bathroom was also in good order and they'd left us lots of towels. They also provided a travel cot for our baby and tea & coffee facilities. As the suite was in an external block, access was no problem and it felt very safe, secure and well cared for. I think the decor could do with a bit of an update, but overall we really enjoyed our 3 nights over Xmas. Thanks Mr Briffa (manager).

Room Tip: I believe that some rooms are of a better quality than others - I think some are a bit more basic, b...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Hannah G
Rugby
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

We went to both the Xmas and New Year Eve Party in the Marquee. Both events well worth the money. Food was fantastic, served on time and was hot.
The DJ from radio FM provided us with good entertainment and ensured that the music for dancing kept us on the dance floor all night.
The staff especially Ivan and his team looked after us very well and nothing was too much trouble for any of them.
Would recommend these events to anyone thinking of organising a party for 2013.
Many thanks to everyone involved in providing such a great evening, not forgetting the staff in the background, i.e all the chefs, kitchen staff etc.
Happy New Year to you all
Jan x

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Rugby
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

I attended the New Year's Eve party in the Garden Rooms on Monday night with my husband and some friends. It was the first time we've done New Year at Dunchurch and we had a great time. The room looked lovely, the food was delicious, the staff were great, particularly Jose who was looking after everyone really well and the disco had everyone dancing from the very start in what was a great party atmosphere.

The Piper was moving, particularly for me as I am a Scot (!) and the fireworks were amazing!!

We all agreed that it was great value for money. My friend is a vegetarian and she was well catered for. I would recommend it to anyone and we would definitely be doing it again next year!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunchurch
Brownsover Hall Hotel
Premier Inn Rugby North (Newbold) Hotel
Golden Lion Hotel & Inn
Golden Lion Hotel & Inn
#1 of 1 in Easenhall

Been to Dunchurch Park? Share your experiences!