“Oh, dear!!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Dunchurch B&B and Inns
Brisbane, Australia
“Oh, dear!!”
Reviewed November 27, 2011

We were looking forward to our meal at the Dun Cow as it advertises and presents well. When we arrived, the restaurant was almost full, but we managed to secure a table. The menu offered a wide choice, at reasonable prices. However, on approaching the bar to order drinks, we found the bar was manned by only one harassed young lass who was both taking meal orders, together with taking and obtaining drinks orders, slowly, from a line up of patrons. There were other staff wandering around clearing tables, and delivering meals, but no one seemed to bother helping out the young lass. After waiting for some time, and observing how long it took to serve only one customer, we gave up.
So, unfortunately, we decided to give The Dun Cow a miss if this is what their service is like, and we found just across the road a great little pub, The Green Man, see forthcoming review.
However, we will return to the Dun Cow to give it another try, it may have just been an "off" day.

Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Ronrel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Lutterworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 20, 2011

Party of 8. plus a baby. Presented with 2 tables of different heights pushed together; despite being booked 7 days prior. Terribly poor service, longer than long wait, Drinks took an age for an order to be taken and even longer to arrive.Plates were greasy with finger marks on them. Cutlery not much better, we wiped it ourselves. No staff noticed when we had finished eating so didn't clear for 20 minutes. The food was excellent but not hot enough, yorkshire puds were virtually cold, as were the plates.
On arrival the 2 bar staff looked as if they hadn't had any sleep and just served whoever was in front of them instead of who was next. No chilled Peronas. Gents toilets were an absolute disgrace, unbelievably smelly!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Barns22

Travelers are raving about these Dunchurch hotels

Winterthur, Switzerland
Reviewed September 22, 2011

Waited 15 minutes to get checked in (with no queue) so first impressions weren't great and the lady doing check in was not particularly friendly. I booked a table for half an hour later and was seated quickly. Food was good but service was slow and it was about a 10 minute wait for the bill. It took in total 90 minutes to get my single course and eat it. The place was very busy, which I have been told by colleagues is usual but the staff did not seem too organised. That said my waitress, Emily was very pleasant. The room I was in was next to one of the corridor doors which was not soft closing, which resulted in me sitting bolt upright in bed at 12.30 am when someone went through it. When I got into bed I thought I would watch some tv but there was no signal on any of the many channels. The wifi is pay as you go but wasn't strong enough to pick up in my room and the mobile phone signal is weak. In addition, there is no phone where you can call reception, just a credit card phone.

The curtains didn't cover the windows and there was a security light outside that kept going on and off all night and the pillows were rock hard.

I was not greeted (or spoken to) by the staff at breakfast unless I went to ask them something. There were no defined seating area and the tables were dirty. The cleaners were vacuuming throughout my breakfast and when they stopped they spent 10 minutes or so slating the rest of the staff.

On leaving the place I had to put my key into a wooden box in the corridor. It seems that this place doesn't want the opportunity to ask if you had a good nights stay; not very customer focused in my mind. The rate for this room was £62, about what it costs to stay in a Premier Inn in a city centre.

Work commitments mean I spend a significant amount of time in hotels and this would have become a regular stop for me had it been better. Unfortunately I shall have to find elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank rachel69inman
Solihull
Reviewed September 1, 2011

For a lodge type hotel this is far above the standard of other lodges e.g. travelodges.

The rooms are very nicely appointed. Well worth a stay for the price.

The restaurant is informal and offers a v good pub type menu.

If you fancy an Indian, i recommend Omars (just across the road).

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Wiltshire
Reviewed May 26, 2011

I have stayed here several times over the years as it is conveniently situated for my purposes.

The rooms are comfortably furnished , the shower room had a mouldy ceiling though.
What I found extremely irritiating though is that WIFI internet access is not free as it is in most of the rival budget chains, which will deter me from staying again.

The food, as always, was excellent which is the main reason I stay. Staff are friendly and welcoming although the "whites" some of the guys were wearing could have been whiter.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Yorkshire UK
Reviewed May 13, 2011

I enjoyed my stay at the Dun Cow Hotel 7 nights altogether. The pub and hotel buildings are quite unusual and have plenty of character. The rooms were comfortable and facilities good. There are plenty of good restaurants in Dunchurch village. Mobile phone reception was not good in the hotel for some reason. Would visit again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Hampshire, UK
Reviewed May 10, 2011

This Innkeepers Lodge hotel is attached to the Dun Cow pub & restaurant. I have written a separate review of the restaurant and although I will keep my reviews of both establishments separate, as many people planning to stay at the hotel are likely to be intending to eat in the restaurant, I think it is fair to point out that my experience is that the hotel is quite good but the restaurant is appalling. There is a carvery opposite which didn't look very impressive, but you can check the reviews on TripAdvisor. There is also an Indian restaurant nearby which looked better (but it is not on TripAdvisor). My point is that if you stay at the Dun Cow you may be struggling to find anywhere decent to eat in the evening, especially if you don’t like Indian food.

Our room was well equipped and generally comfortable. It had multi-channel TV, a desk and an armchair and the bed was really comfortable. We had a shower (no bath) with plenty of hot water. It was all clean an tidy, with plenty of space. The room was quite cold; this was in May and it was reasonably warm outside, so I would expect it to be really cold in the winter. There were two electric heaters as well as a large radiator in the room, which suggest that this room does tend to be cold.

Breakfast is a cold buffet in the attached pub/restaurant. You can pay extra for cooked items, but there were no staff around until we had almost finished our breakfast, so we could not have ordered anything if we had wanted it. After our experience in the restaurant the previous evening we didn’t trust them to cook and serve anything properly anyway. Breakfast was available from 08:00 until 10:00 (Sunday hours) but some items were running out by 9:00. The last croissant went then and there were already no other pastries. There were only a few slices of bread left, but more sliced white bread appeared later (but no other pastries). This was only half way through the session and some people were still arriving when we left some time after 9:00.

Overall, we had a comfortable stay and the cost was reasonable, so it was decent value for money. The attached pub/restaurant is the Achilles heel of this place; although it is technically a separate establishment, it is where you eat the included breakfast and, in practise, the evening dining facilities are an integral part of what you are buying into when you stay here. So, you need to consider this if you are planning to dine nearby during your stay. It makes me reluctant to stay here again or to recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunchurch
Dunchurch Park
Travelodge Rugby Central
The Grosvenor Hotel
The Grosvenor Hotel
#11 of 13 in Rugby

Been to Innkeeper's Lodge? Share your experiences!