“Lovely hotel, lovely setting”

The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Charlecote
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 24, 2014

I only spent one night but just loved this hotel. In the most beautiful setting and I felt really pampered and spoilt and everything you needed was catered for, Reception and all the staff were very welcoming, friendly and helpful. My room was very cosy and comfortable and everything was of a very high standard. I will return but this time for a longer stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Lynette A
sheagm, General Manager at The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Many thanks for writing such a wonderful review, I shall make sure all the Team are aware of your comments, and hopefully it wont be too long till you return fora longer stay.
Kind regards John

There are newer reviews for The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel

Reviewed February 18, 2014

This hotel was recommended to us by family members who are seasoned Shearings customers. They had stayed recently and were particularly impressed by the food and service in the restaurant. When we arrived we were dealt with in a friendly and efficient manner. Our room was a good size and extremely comfortable. A small problem with the electrics was dealt with promptly. However, from the moment we entered the restaurant our opinion went downhill. We were shown into a cold dark annexe where we were served indifferent food in miniscule portions by an indifferent waiter. Oh well, we thought, it's Valentine's Day and they are busy (and what a pity on such a romantic night of the year the chef's special was nothing more imaginative than bangers and mash.) We arrived for breakfast the next morning looking forward to a good meal. We were disappointed! The whole operation seemed totally disorganised. Luckily we could serve ourselves watered down orange and cereal as we always had to wait ages for the waiting staff to take our orders for hot drink and toast. When this eventually arrived they never ever thought to bring a jug of milk with the tea and one slice of toast each! I know we could have asked for more but it was hard enough getting the first lot. Couples often arrived after us and had eaten their cooked breakfast before our orders were taken. Having stayed at Coast and Country hotels before, where the restaurant service has been prompt and efficient I feel The Charlcotte Pheasant is being really let down by its restaurant.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Carol A
sheagm, General Manager at The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

Thank you very much for the review of your recent weekend Break. I am sorry thay you feel that you did not receive good service in the Restaurant, this is not the type of service that we provide and infact if your read previous reviews will see, that we are praised for our staff and service
The Chefs Special is an extra course which we add to the Table D Hote Menu, which is included in your half Board Package, and indeed if you wish to upgrade there is an excellent A La carte Menu to choose from, with great reductions to our guest's. I am sorry that you felt that you received bad service, which we would have immediately rectified had you spoke to either the Restaurant Manager or the Duty Manager. Regards John

Reviewed February 16, 2014

I can only say that in all my years of dining out for Sunday lunch with family & friends, this is the worst experience I have ever had. The starter consisted of three choices, chicken liver pate (did not taste freshly made or in house) garlic mushrooms in a sauce (that were not cooked freshly) & a mediterranean veg soup (did not experience this), nothing special there. Had to ask for butter for the ONE slice of toast that was served with the pate & the salad dressing had no flavour.There was a choice of three meats, beef (leather), gammon (dry ham) and crispy turkey (Crispy Turkey!!!). The vegetables, were boiled to soggy shapes & were sat cold on the servery, the Yorkshire puddings looked like cardboard shapes & had the same taste & texture as cardboard. The gravy had no particular flavour and was tepid.
I asked to speak to the head chef & the manager, a chef came out & an assistant manager.
When I made my observations to the chef & asked him if the meal we presented him with was the best he could do, he agreed no it was not. I asked the assistant manager if she thought the meal was of a good standard after some silent hesitation she declared not. I did not complain for a reduction or offer of a free meal, we paid in full & did not accept a further experience. I complained because the standard of food & cooking skills shown are unacceptable. Be warned your money would be better spent at a road side trailer.
Very very shocked that these poor standards are still around, despite the current recession.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank Norman B
sheagm, General Manager at The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Thank you very much for your comments on your recent visit to the Charlecote for Sunday Carvery, on balance I think it only right to address your comments for the public to make their own judgement.
You had purchased a Charity Auction package which includes a visit to NT Charlecote Park and then a Carvery lunch for 4 people at the Hotel,which is normally priced at £15.95 per person. We serve a reasonably priced Traditional Sunday Lunch which is very popular for Clientele both new and returning. It is or never has been described as an A la carte Menu which I think is probably what you expected when you bid for it, at the Charity Auction
At No point did the Head Chef, or Deputy Manager agree with you regarding the standard of the Starters, as well as the Meat in fact they apologised that the food was not to your expectations and gave reasons why, we do not offer the Beef Medium Rare or Rare, In fact The Head Chef explained that he could cook the beef to individuals taste but not when cooking a whole joint for Carvery!
Customer Care is always paramount in our Business and we did offer to rectify the dissatisfaction however you refused stating that would immediately go on Trip Advisor, I would also like add that during your conversation with Both the Head Chef and Deputy Manager another table that were dining the same time as your party made appoint of coming over and thanking our Head Chef for a Wonderful Carvery. Regards John McGhee

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Excellent value for money, plenty of choice of food, served by very friendly courteous staff. Rooms very clean. Bus stop outside hotel, for a trip to Stratford or Leamington Spa. National trust property opposite the hotel, well worth a look.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for great review of your recent stay, I shall pass on all your wonderful comments to the rest of the Team, We hope it weont be too long till you return Kind regards John

Reviewed January 24, 2014

We stayed here for a friends wedding, also held at the hotel. The wedding was amazing by the way but this review is solely for the room and restaurant and not the wedding service they supply. After shelling out more than we usually pay for a hotel we were expecting something a little special. What we found was a rather average experience, The walls were too thin, and could hear the conversations of the room next door.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Gongoozled W
sheagm, General Manager at The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2014

Thank you for the review of your Stay last August ! We are glad that you enjoyed the wedding and the service, and food which we supplied. We are dissapointed that you didn't enjoy your stay in your bedroom or The Restaurant Service. With regards to your comment regarding the price we have a special rate of £120 per room Bed and Breakfast for Wedding Guests, that £60 per person in Summer Season which is very competitively priced , and an excellent deal for our guest's
Regards John

Reviewed January 12, 2014

I always associated any Shearings' hotel with the older generation, small portions and cheaper fare but having just spent a weekend with my extended family for my Fathers eightieth birthday celebrations at this hotel I can't praise it enough. From the minute you check in to the time you leave you are made to feel welcome. I expected to be ordering from the a la carte menu but the half board dishes were wonderful. The food was plentiful and tasty with each dish being carefully presented by the obviously expert chef. Breakfast was also very tasty with a great choice of both cooked and cold food. The room was modern, very clean and comfortable, ideal for a weekend in the country. The staff were so friendly and professional and I must thank the restaurant manager for his efforts in making this a memorable time for my father. This a hotel I will certainly return to in the summer when my wife and I go back to Stratford to use our Shakespeare vouchers. Once again, thank you Pheasant for a lovely stay!

Room Tip: We stayed in the 'Farmhouse' Rooms very nice.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Ian R
sheagm, General Manager at The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Many thanks for your kind review, I shall pass on all your wonderful commentrs to the team. We are so happy that you and your family had a great weekend to celebrate your Grand Fathers Special Birthday, and we hope to welcome you back in the Summer. Kind regards John

Reviewed January 3, 2014

We stayed at the Charlecote Pheasant for New Years eve and attended the New Years eve party. All the staff were very welcoming and the accommodation was first class. The breakfast and evening meal were of a high standard. The hotel is ideally situated near to Stratford on Avon and close to the M40 motorway but also in the heart of the Warwickshire countryside.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Keith N

Thank you for the review of your Stay with us, We are all so pleased that you enjoyed celebrating New Year at the Charlecote Pheasant ,and hope to see you again soon. Kind regards John

Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlecote
Mercure Warwickshire Walton Hall Hotel & Spa
Mercure Warwickshire Walton Hall...
#1 of 1 in Wellesbourne Hastings
#1 of 1 in Alderminster
The Stratford, A QHotel
The Stratford, A QHotel
#6 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon

Been to The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel? Share your experiences!