“A peaceful haven”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“A peaceful haven”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

This was our first visit to this hotel which is located in the village of Charlecote, located in the beautiful countryside of Warwickshire. We were on a 5 day self drive holiday and it was intended to be a break for both myself and my husband who has not been very well. The Shearings help desk lived up to their title with the help they provided when I booked the holiday. It was important for us to have a room with a shower and not a bath and we were allocated one of the 2 rooms (nos 20 and 21) each with a wet room. These are 2 rooms specifically designed for someone with a disability. They are ground floor rooms located opposite the reception and dining room. There is also parking space allocated outside each room for parking the car. We arrived on the 6th May and left on 10th May 2013. The cost of the holiday was £298.00 for 4 nights and 5 days bed breakfast and evening meal. The menus provided plenty of choices and the service was superb. The dining room was very pleasant and having sat at a window table on the first day, it was then saved for us for each meal. There was also a large selection of meals on the lunch/bar menu for anyone wishing to stay in. The hotel is ideally located for visiting Stratford on Avon, Warwick and Leomington Spa and also for exploring the village and visiting the Charlecote Park. The staff in the hotel were all very friendly and nothing was too much trouble for them. We had a lovely time and would really like to return sometime in the future.

Room Tip: I can only comment on the room we were in as I didn't see any of the rooms in the main hotel, bu...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Monica T
sheagm, General Manager at The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Many thanks for the wonderful review of your recent stay at the Charlecote Pheasant. We are so pleased that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and indeed found the Hotel and Surrounding area very peacefull and Tranquil. I shall pass on all your lovely comments to the team
Kind rergards John

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
NewMaldenLittlemiss
Reviewed May 8, 2013

My first but not my last visit to this hotel. The first impression was of peace and most important ant of all,traffic!

Our room was in what appeared to be a new building, which gave us a view of the gardens and the tennis courts; the fittings were very good, having a place to keep the case, off the floor helped, as I could unpack and hang things without too much effort, a good start to my stay.

The restaurant and the staff were very good, I enjoyed not having a 'fixed table', which allows you to get to know other guests, an advantage perhaps of a smaller hotel.

Reception was very good, useful information on buses and generally cheerful.

Room Tip: If you want to 'escape the world' for a few days, this is the hotel to choose
1 Thank sunbeanlady01
sheagm, General Manager at The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Many thanks for the wondeful review of your recent stay at The Charlecote Pheasant, I shall pass on all your great comments to the team. It was also nice to read that you enjoyed the peace and Tranquility of the Hotel, and it's settings. I hope it wont be too long till you visit us again
KInd regards John
Lancashire UK
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel, Charlecote, Warwichshire.

I spent a very pleasant self drive 3 nights bed breakfast and evening meal break with my daughter on May 3rd to May 6th of this year (2013). The total price for 2 single rooms and BB plus evening meal came to £368.00 including the two single supplements of £15 x 2 personally I think this is excellent value for a bank holiday break. The booking was made via break was booked via the “Coast & Country” arm of Shearings group. I have spent several breaks with Shearings with both “Coast & Country” and “Bay Hotels” the majority are good value and all are very easy to book online or on the phone.

Charlecote Pheasant Hotel has 72 rooms including 2 single rooms and is set in 4 acres of landscaped grounds in rural Warwickshire and consists of several converted farm buildings opposite the deer park of Charlecote Park, adjacent to the river Avon with short drives to both Warwick and Stratford upon Avon. The whole area, including the hotel itself, is quite charming and very relaxing. The hotel is smart, clean, comfortable and extremely well run with ample parking. The food is excellent and the service is satisfactory and served in a pleasant dining room with polite and efficient staff. I feel that I should give special mention to the male receptionist and the lady who organised the seating in the dining room, both seemed to be very much on the ball and were extremely helpful when needed.

There is always going to be little niggles about most hotels, the Charlecote Pheasant is no exception to this rule. If I had to mention one downside it would be the very creaky floorboards of the room above room 15 where I stayed, plus a loose toilette seat and toilette roll holder hanging off the wall, perhaps I am being picky here, however, my daughters room was fine and she had no complaints. Despite my little niggles I would recommend this hotel and on a scale of 1 to 10 then I would give it 8.5 and I would stay there again if I could get a room that doesn’t suffer with squeaky overhead floorboards. However, if you are looking for peace and relaxation within arms reach of historic towns then you will do far worse than “The Charlcote Pheasant Hotel”.

Room Tip: You will need to book well in advance if you need a single room, aparently there ia only 2 single ro...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank BrunoLancashireUK
Thank you for your nice review of your stay at the Charlecote Pheaasnt o shall pass on your Kind comments to all the team, especiallly Angelina our Restaurant Manger and Mateus on Reception Desk they both thank you. With regards to the noise from the floors boards our Maintenance Dept Are looking into this and thank you for bringing this to our attention. I hope it wont be too long till you return. Kind regards John
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Just arrived home from a four day stay. The hotel and its surroundings are fantastic. Accommodation is superb, no need to upgrade. Staff are exceptional friendly and helpful, not in your face, but there if needed.will defiantly be going back. Only criticism is, maybe a personal one, to much mashed or crushed potatoe.(leave them alone sometimes please)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
sheagm, General Manager at The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Many thanks for your review of your recent stay at The Charlecote Pheasant I shall pass on all your nice comments to the team. We are very lucky to be based in a very peacefull and tranquil area and I am glad that you both enjoyed this. I hope it wont be too long till you return
Kind regards John
cheshire
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Have just come back from a very enjoyable weekend at this hotel. After viewing some of the comments we were a little apprehensive, but this was to be unfounded. The room was clean and comfortable and a glood size. The meals which were included in the package were excellent and we found no reason to chose anything different from the a la carte menu. The staff were efficient , friendly and helpful and we would not hesitate to return to this hotel again .
subar

1 Thank subar
sheagm, General Manager at The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Many thanks for writing such a great review of your weekend stay here at the Charlecote Pheasant, I shall pass on all your wonderful comments to the team, and hope that it wont be too long till you visit us again. Kind regards John
Midhurst
Reviewed April 23, 2013

My wife and I used the hotel as a base for walking in the Cotswolds, for which it is ideally placed. Because the accommodation is spread over several different buildings amongst pleasant gardens, this does not feel like a large hotel. The bedroom was very well-equipped with a recently renovated bathroom. The staff are exceptionally friendly and efficient. The table d'hote dinner is acceptable but unexciting. In fact there is a very good breakfast selection and we appreciated the service, rather than the usual buffet breakfast. Overall this is a very well run hotel, offering really excellent value.

Room Tip: Rooms with bath are available on request
2 Thank wsussex41
Many thanks for your excellent review and nice comments regarding your recent stay. As I have said in many responses ,we are very lucky to be situated in such a beautiful part of the Country and, an ideal base to explore Warwickshire and The Cotswolds. I'm glad that you took full advantage of this. Kind regards John
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Usually, when I try to sum up the Shearing’s hostelries that my wife and I have sampled I use one simple rule, have we received value for money. You have to remember that with Shearing’s you pay budget prices and as such you can’t expect 5 star services or amenities. You should however expect at least a clean bed, decent food and civil service. Well, at the Charlecote Pheasant we found all three in abundance.
Admittedly we upgraded to a superior room which was large, comfortable, tastefully furnished and complete with a settee, chandelier main light, wall sconces, hairdryer and a more than adequate iron and ironing board. The en suite was clean, spacious and well stocked with towels and toiletries. The power shower worked like a dream delivering oodles of hot water. Another big plus was the absence of banging doors and squeaky floorboards which appears to be the norm in many Shearing’s hotels. Indeed, it was so quiet you could have heard the proverbial feather drop (tip ask for room 107 which is one of the two bungalow rooms.)
The food was of good standard, well prepared and presented and if the choice of three courses for starters, main and puddings does nothing for your palate then you can order from the al a carte menu for which an additional charge will apply. There’s a good choice for breakfast too and meals are served by attentive and polite waitresses-in our case the inestimable Anna-in a cosy, comfortable restaurant. Special thanks to the chef for his smoked mackerel cheesecake which my wife considers to be the best she has ever eaten.
Both bar staff and reception again were considerate and thoughtful especially the lad in reception who dealt with my queries concerning the wi-fi connection and door key with good humour and courteousness.
There is also a games room complete with a pool table and if you require transport to Stratford or Warwick there is a frequent bus service (reception will supply a time table) and the bus stop is located outside the main entrance.
There is one drawback however and that is the rooms are situated in separate blocks from reception and the restaurant so if the weather is inclement a coat or umbrella may be needed.
All-in-all a `very satisfactory establishment and one that I would not hesitate to recommend to friends and family. Did it meet my value for money yardstick? Most defiantly yes and a big thank you to the management and staff of the Charlecote Pheasant for making our stay so enjoyable.

Room Tip: Ask for room 107
5 Thank Ray B
Wow what a great review, many thanks for your wonderfull comments andI shall pass them all on to the Team, At Coast and Country Hotels we offer a great Value half board Package, at great prices it its nice to read that you agree and enjoyed your recent break Many thanks again and hope to welcome you back soon. Kind Regards John
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlecote
Mercure Warwickshire Walton Hall Hotel & Spa
Mercure Warwickshire Walton Hall...
#1 of 1 in Wellesbourne Hastings
#1 of 1 in Alderminster
The Stratford, A QHotel
The Stratford, A QHotel
#5 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon

Been to The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel? Share your experiences!