“More attention to detail”

The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Charlecote
GreenLeadersBronze level
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
“More attention to detail”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

After our horrendous experience with Norovirus at the Imperial Exmouth last year, my wife and I swore never to darken a Shearing doorstep again.
However, time is a healer and with some intrepidation I booked a Premier room for three nights to celebrate my wife's 80th birthday. First impression of room four was good; however, as with all the six Shearings hotels we have stayed at it is the niggling things and lack of detail that let them down.
Our Premier room had a four poster bed with side curtains. These curtains stopped any light from the bedside lamps reaching the occupants lying down making it impossible to read in bed. This must have been reported by previous guests as some enterprising person had crudely screwed two brass extending desk lights directly to the wall above the bed with steel woodscrews. Neither had a fitting or lamp on the end and the bare terminals were a potential death trap for an inquisitive child's fingers. The strip light above the tea making accoutrements situated in part of the wardrobe in the lobby - as far away from a tap as possible - was of very cheap quality with the press button on off switch difficult to locate in the dim light.
The very large window overlooking the road was directly in line with the four poster bed. Being much higher than normal beds we had a good view out of the window but unfortunately, with lights on in the room, so did people walking past and parking their cars to visit the church opposite. We could well imagine what it must be like for royalty having to acknowledge and return peoples waves.
The impressive French windows at the side of the room gave a good view of the lawns and pathways, but again gave passers by a view of most of the room. Some curious visitors felt the need to press their faces against the window for a better view. I can only think the large glass doors let them to believe it allowed public access! All this was reasonably acceptable until one had just showered and was wearing a towel or underwear. Although I am not a fan of net curtains, I do think in this instance they should be fitted to give some degree of privacy - if only to the lower part of the windows.
A very impressive fireplace had its opening bricked up and painted black. A coal effect electric fire or vase of flowers would have done it justice. The art deco ceiling light did not complement the four poster bed.
I reported the two lighting complaints to the receptionist next morning - Saturday-, she said she would report them to the manager but as is our experience with Shearings, nothing had happened when we left on Monday.
Talking of managers, I note that following the numerous comments on Trip Adviser there is often a reply by the hotel manager. Has anyone ever seen or spoken to a Shearing hotel manager? I haven't. To me they are as scarce as a Labour voter at an Eastleigh bye election! Not once have I come across a manager asking guests if everything was to their liking and are they enjoying their stay. I think they must be so busy writing replies to Trip Adviser comments they have no time to converse with hotel guests. I filled in my comments card before leaving but as is my past experience no communication from the company has been received.
Shearings do generally offer good value for money but when you are paying extra for a Premier room you are entitled to just that.
Over the years I have witnessed a decline in the food provided to half board guests. `A la carte menus didn't appear in our early stays and the Table d'hote now on offer is of such poor quality you feel obliged to chose from the 'A la carte menu if you want a reasonable meal.
First night fish and chips. If any fish and chip shop served such disgusting thin dried fish they would be out of business in a day. Second night chicken breast which was so small it was a tragedy to take the poor bird away from its mother. Having paid in advance for our meals and refusing to be induced to spend more money we persevered hoping for an improvement. However, on the last night I went for the fish pie which turned out to be a blob of fish flavoured potato with salad leaves, no vegetables and the whole lot would have fitted on a coffee cup saucer. On all three evenings the chef's "dish of the day" was either a cheese or ham salad. Some dish, some chef!
All the dining room staff were the efficient and friendly staff one has come to expect with Shearings. Dan our waiter very kindly decorated our table for my wife's 80th birthday dinner and was very professional in his attention to guests. It is just a pity the management does not compliment the staff.

Room Tip: Not room 4 unless you want to be on public view
7 Thank ExHotelier
sheagm, General Manager at The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
With regards to your comments and very detailed review it is obvious that our Hotels are not for you! However the only comment I wish to make is that the Stuart the Duty Manager that weekend did speak to you on several occasions and never once did you raise any concerns?

regards

John

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
England
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed here as part of a large group and we had very good value for money. The breakfast is great. The table d'hote dinner is a bit restricted in choice, but the food itself is tasty and served hot. Although on a Dinner, B&B package, we could choose from the full menu at discounted prices. The staff were cheerful and helpful. The bus stop just outside meant we could travel to Stratford and Leamington Spa without hunting for parking.
We paid extra for a premier room, in a building about 200 yds from reception. This was roomy and comfortable. We had tea/coffee making facilities but no fridge. However, the peace was definitely broken when a family settled in upstairs! We could hear every step, creak and movement. They had at least one child, who ran around enthusiastically for quite a while,
disturbing our rest! We could also hear whenever they ran any water in the bathroom. This was a shame, as the room itself was lovely, but the soundproofing let it down badly.
Overall, if you want to treat yourself to a nice room, do book a premier room but make sure you're either upstairs or in the bungalow end of the building. Avoid rooms 101 and 102!

Room Tip: Avoid 101 and 102!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Megfy
sheagm, General Manager at The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for your kind review, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and feel that we offer good value for money.
I am glad that you enjoyed the food and I must agree that the discounts from our A'la Carte Menu for Half Board guests are impressive.
I shall pass on your kind comments regarding our cheerful and helpful staff.
We do have an excellent location for exploring and the bus stop is most convienient.
I am sorry to read that you could hear the family above you and feel that this disturbed your rest.
However I do hope that this would not deter you from visiting us again in the future.
Room 101 and 102 our two of our most requested rooms but please feel free to contact us for special room requests.
Kind regards
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Very good Hotel , nice rooms , good food, excellent service.
Only downside was having to walk across car park , from rooms to Restaurant and Bar , on a bitterly cold weekend. We were a party of three and all rooms are nice even the single ones.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank flipperterry
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your kind comments, I shall be passing them on to the staff.
The hotel does have a different layout than a traditional hotel, I feel that this gives a great sense of character and is very much inkeeping with the country hotel style.
Once again thank you for your kind review, and we hope to welcome you back very soon.
wales
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We have just returned from this hotel after a wonderful two night stay.The staff are all very friendly and well turned out.The location is great bus stop right outside for trips to Stratford and Warwick also National Trust property across the road.Food was excellent and a great choice from both Table Dhot to ALa Carte breakfast also very good, would thoroughly recommend to anyone,we will definitely be returning.

Room Tip: We occupied room 3 which was a premier room for which we had to pay extra but was well worth it.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing such a lovely review regarding your recent stay at The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel.
I am so very pleased that you have enjoyed yourselves. Room 3 is indeed a beautiful room and always gets amazing comments.
I do very much hope to be welcoming you back in the near future.
Kind Regards
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 20, 2013

The buildings are much more attractive than they appear in the website photos, characterful, and very comfortable bedrooms. Perfect location for us with bus stop to Stratford right outside, and National Trust property just across the road. Friendly staff, especially Dan in the restaurant, and bubbly blonde person, don't know her name, on restaurant check in. Table d'hote food pretty ordinary (and who else on earth ever serves turnips as part of seasonal vegtables?!) but perfectly fine considering what we paid for our 3 night stay. We'd definitely go there again.

Room Tip: Ask for your preference of a cool or a hot room - our first room was 26degrees all night with the ra...
4 Thank BMC190727
sheagm, General Manager at The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
I am very happy to hear that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us at The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel. I must agree that we have a fantastic location for exploring and a very convienient bus stop. Dan was very pleased to hear your kind comments and enjoyed your company durning your stay. I shall pass on your kind comments to the rest of the team.
I am sorry to hear that you were not as impressed with our Table d'hote menu. I do belive that this menu does offer good quality food and excellent value for money. However we do also run an A la Carte Menu which is heavily discounted for our half board guests. My staff and I are very much looking forward to your return.
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments.
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel near Stratford upon Avon, for four days this February.
Nice clean hotel, excellent friendly staff, and the meals were very good too - the chef should have my compliments.
The stay was booked from the Coast & Country catalogue, and was very good value for money.
The hotel is conveniently sited for Stratford, and opposite what looks to be an interesting Stately Home, 'Charlecote Manor'. Nice grounds but unfortunately the house was closed this early in the season. Opening the week after we were there - oh well so much for planning.
Definitely to be recommended.

4 Thank David G
sheagm, General Manager at The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review regarding your recent stay at The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel. I am so very pleased that you have enjoyed yourselves.
I do agree that we offer great value for money and I shall pass on your kind comments to our chef and staff.
It was unfortunate that Charlecote Manor was closed during your visit, as it is well worth a visit.
I do hope that we shall be welcoming you back to The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel in the future.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We have just returned from a Mon-Fri break at this hotel and we could not fault it. We met friends there who have never been on one of these breaks before and they were well impressed. Excellent value for money and very realistic choices of food for what we paid. The hotel was lovely the rooms comfortable and the staff pleasant ,happy, and good humoured. What more could you ask for. Thank you all for a lovely stay.

4 Thank Annette W
sheagm, General Manager at The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Many thanks for your Wonderfull review of your recent stay at The Charlecote Pheasant, I shall pass on all your great comments to the Team, It really makes their day when guest's comment on the service they have received. We hope it wont be too long till we welcome you back
Kind regards John
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlecote
Mercure Warwickshire Walton Hall Hotel & Spa
Mercure Warwickshire Walton Hall...
#1 of 1 in Wellesbourne Hastings
#11 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon
The Stratford, A QHotel
The Stratford, A QHotel
#5 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon

Been to The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel? Share your experiences!