“Tasty food”

The Oak Room Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Berkswell
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Fine Dining is the order of the day at the award winning Oak Room Restaurant at Nailcote Hall. The food is truly exceptional and the atmosphere is both welcoming and intimate. The hotel has been termed ‘one of the most romantic hotels in England’ by the AA and the Oak Room is certainly the place for a special occasion meal. We have two menus available, A La Carte menu with individualy priced dishes or table d'hote menu with three courses for £30.00 We are open for Breakfast, Lunch, Afternoon Tea and Dinner.
Reviewed February 12, 2014

My friend and l visited this restaurant in Nov13 we really enjoyed it so we decided to go again tue, 11th Feb, we were not disappointed we had the steak again flamed at our table very impressive it was again very tasty and enjoyable, the service was excellent, staff very attentive, looking forward to going again in March

1  Thank Olive612

Reviewed February 10, 2014

Like other recent reviewers we went in a Groupon voucher - not surprised they aren't filling the restaurant otherwise. We arrived in the dark, so coudn't see what I am sure is a beautiful setting and it is a lovely, cosy old building, with a log fire in the Oak Room Restaurant (although they didn't seem to 'stoke' it after 7:30).
Were left to our own devices originally but then 'sent'(!) through to a bar area. We were asked for what drinks we wanted very quickly, but with no menu. When we asked for one we decided o rider a bottle of wine fom what, I hope, was a new member of the bar staff. She asked the number of the wine we ordered, then, after some time, came back with the bottle of red on a tray and 2 small glasses which she put in front of us. Didn't even open the bottle (luckily a screw top!) let alone ask us to taste it - even at £26.
Would agree with another reviewer - a very self-opinionated waiter who spoke far too loudly and kept impressing upon us who our restaurant manager for the evening was - do we care?!
The voucher was or a main ourselves and dessert, but apparently we were 'allowed' to also select a starter at cost. We were given an a la carte menu and a set price menu we could choose from, but with no idea of the cost of individual starters on this. (A la carte ones were around £7.) I ordered 'king prawns in chili and lime'. This arrived after some very mediocre bread. I guarantee that the 7 very small prawns (the largest being about the size of a 10p and obviously just heated through from frozen) had seen no lime, and they had very little else to flavour them, either. They sat in a puddle of butter and came served with 2 slices of toast. Very disappointing!
My partner ordered carrot and thyme soup - looked like a bowl of Heinz tomato - and again, it was, apparently very mediocre. There was no attempt to garnish it in any way.
His main course of chicken was better, but I ordered the fillet steak cooked at the table. This was a real 70's experience and I've never seen such a thin fillet in all my life! You certainly couldn't have asked for rare as, as soon as it touched the pan it was cooked through. It was all very flamboyant and tasted ok, but I won't tell you what it looked like on the plate! It was covered with chopped onion, tomato and a few mushrooms, in a slightly creamy sauce. Extremely unappealing - and no way to brown, and flavour the steak, or it would have been overcooked, so rather tasteless, too.
Vegetables (extra) had been immersed in boiling water for about 30 seconds. I certainly like mine al dente, but raw and warm isn't very pleasant! Chips (extra) though, were good.
Choice of 4 desserts, not very enthralling. One was creme caramel - with fruits of the forest (??!). People the other side of the restaurant asked for advice and I heard the loud waiter suggest they didn't have this! We both ordered the coconut rice pudding (waiter wouldn't have that either as he doesn't like coconut, but 'it's the most popular'!) but in the middle of it was a ball of banana ice cream - rather odd!
We decided to leave straight after eating this, but had to wait some time for them to take payment. I noticed another customer ended up knocking on the kitchen door trying to get their attention!
Not sure if I should really be giving them 2 not 3 stars. It's all about expectation. In somewhere as relatively remote as Nailcote Hall, they need to be trying hard to get customers in. Obviously Groupon helps and they got an additional £40 out of us, but if people aren't persuaded to go back, what's the point? I saw them advertising rooms on the Groupon site today, too.
They say the restaurant is 'fine dining' but I assure you, that having eaten in a lot of decent restaurants, 'The Oak Room' is certainly not! It was an ok meal in a nice setting, but they really need to up their game if they want to attract customers, not keep luring in people with discounts, who, if they are like me, certainly woudn't do the 25 mile round trip again for that food and service!

1  Thank WendyA7
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Went there using a Groupon voucher. I've been to restaurants before using Groupon & it seems they look down on you, one charging us for a bread roll to have with our soup etc. But not here! We settled in the bar, were given a menu to choose from and was taken through to the restaurant by our server who carried out drinks whilst a colleague took our coats.

The Oak Room restaurant is fairly small which makes for a nice cosy atmosphere, especially with the open fire. The deal was for main + desert. We were given a warm bread roll whilst waiting for dinner and a small compliment from the chef of purified cauliflower (can't remember the proper name). We then had steak Diane which was flambeed at our table. It was very grand and tasted delicious. The service was good and didn't intrude on our meal. Had a couple of drinks in the bar afterwards. Lots of famous faces on the wall so they must have some 'high end' events throughout the year.

1  Thank iExplore1985
Reviewed February 2, 2014

I am a leisure member of many years and have found the staff, especially the leisure manager, only too willing to aid with fittness programmes and to make the idea of fitness a pleasure. Relax in the pool, spa or steam room, or sweat it out in the bijous gym.

Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

Ate here on a Groupon voucher so was not expecting much as my previous experience of Groupon is not great! But this was fantastic! Bar and restaurant staff could not have done more!! And the food was faultless! We can't wait to go back!!! Little tip.... The house red wine is possibly the best wine I have drunk anywhere!

1  Thank OWST