“BOOKED FOR 2 NIGHTS LEFT AFTER ONE.”

Campanile Hotel Washington
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Washington
Reviewed June 1, 2013

ARRIVED WITH THREE ADULTS AND 3 KIDS, wished I had asked to see the rooms before we checked in. Reception not very good . Rooms 1 double with z bed smelled of dog and ciggies! beds were clean but the carpet was old and stained décor low grade motel style, cobwebs , lace curtains that had been tumbled dried and hence were creased no extra pillows only 1 towel no tooth mugs/glasses. table lamp had seen better days. Room 2 more of the same except it was twin beds pushed together and a z bed at the side which because the room was so small prevented us from using the wardrobe, mirror , hairdryer and if you wanted to put kettle on you had to perch on z bed !!!!!! To top it all the only way to get into the middle bed was to sit on the bottom and ease your way up. Bath rooms dated cracked tiles poor fittings yet more cobwebs, poor tiling awful, I could go on.
Breakfast - continental was ok and included in the price I paid, up grade to a cooked was only 2.75 but no real choice. couldn't wait to get out.
Beamish museum was fantastic but all day we were dreading another night at the Campanile so much so that we decided to go back and check out and abandon night 2 and the following day from our short break and drive back home. Informed by reception that we would have to pay for both nights with a shocked expression on her face as though she couldn't believe what I was saying , I didn't expect 5 star but I did expect cleanliness, hospitality and basics.
To sum up best thing that could happen is to bulldoze and start again.

Room Tip: Don't go there Holiday Inn and Premiere Inn are neighbours
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank dolphinlee

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed here to visit the Beamish museum. Really can't complain, £45 for one night, staff were friendly, room was clean, free wi-fi. Location was a bit out of the way but we had the car so was fine. 5 minutes to Beamish and 15 minutes into Newcastle. Check out is before 12pm which was nice, get a long lie for a change. Overall everything was fine!

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I am a young woman who stayed here with a friend, at first glance appears not too bad but we had 2 single beds put together as a double, the bathroom was dirty, walls had black marks all over, we could hear the people in the next room talking it was ridiculous. When I checked in the staff were miserable and couldn't wait to get rid of me. I got my key and went looking for my room, I accidentally walked past the door I should of went in so was wondering round when I found a door which was slightly open so I walked through it and next thing I know this man (I'm assuming he was the manager) came along shouting his head off, I apologised and he still kept going. I felt very intimidated and made me feel uncomfortable for the rest of my stay! Would never advise this hotel!

2  Thank Alishas6655
Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

We didn't have a great stay at all because the bathroom wasn't cleaned and tiles are dirty and filthy need changing and refit. The bath got a bit of crack with bit small trying fit my legs in. The staff were helpful and food is ok anyway. I think the hotel need big refit in bathroom and bedroom

1  Thank John M
Reviewed April 20, 2013

First time we decided to use this group of hotels. We were very impressed at the price per room per night. When we arrived, the receptionist couldn't have been more friendly. Nothing was to much trouble. We had booked a disabled double room and found the room very spacious for my electric wheelchair. The room was clean as was both the décor and the bed clothes. No pictures on the wall, if there had of been, the room we had, I would have been making a direct comparison with the Premier Lodge, but there wasn't, yet the rooms were half the price of that charged by Premier Lodge.
We had a preview of the menu in the bedroom and thought that the prices charged were extreme, NO NEED TO WORRY, when we went to the restaurant, there were quite a number of contractors there that were using the hotel. Each meal was served up as man sized portions and easily were worth the asking price. One suggestion I would make to Campanile is on the menu, list all what is given on the plate, not just the main ingredients. Not doing so, could put a lot of people off from visiting the restaurant.
Overall verdict, clean, helpful and enjoyable. What more do you want for a couple of nights stay. Highly recommended and great value for money.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

Could expect a lot more from a budget hotel, rooms ok although rather small and not the cleanest. Went for something to eat in the restaurant and were told we couldn't eat until later as a party of 20 people were due in 45 minutes!! It was quite a drive to somewhere else if you didn't fancy a carvery at the pub down the road. A sign in the bathroom made me laugh 'Bath mat available at reception' I really cant get my head around that one! A towel did the job. Wish I'd taken some pictures as the ones on here are obviously out of date. Stayed in better places for a lot less money!

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Marc C
Reviewed April 8, 2013

great value, good breakfasts, perfect location for easy access to Beamish, Durham, Sunderland and Newcastle and we took the dogs with us - brilliant

Ideal for touring the north east - or for staying over if going to a football match - will definitely go back

Room Tip: Basic and not big rooms but clean and very functional
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank CityFan40
Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington
Holiday Inn Washington
Lumley Castle Hotel
Lumley Castle Hotel
#5 of 18 in Durham
Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa

Been to Campanile Hotel Washington? Share your experiences!