“Impulse visit” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Washington
Ayrshire
“Impulse visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

Having decided on an impulse to visit the Beamish Museum. we booked two nights at the Campanile just off the A1(M). It proved to be an excellent choice. A good welcome on arrival, staff courteous and helpful throughout the stay, and a good meal on our first night. Continental breakfast was included in the price but for a small supplement, a freshly-cooked full English breakfast was available. The rooms were simple but clean and comfortable. and most importantly the hotel offered excellent value for money

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Rugby, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

The decorated hen party bus outside should have been a warning. As should the receptionist's insistence on a fifty quid breakage deposit on a pre paid room (I am a matronly lady of advancing years unlike the party steamers in the bar. I asked what she expected me to break. She made umming noises) I pretended I had no credit card or cash and started at her until she gave in, after accepting my Cineworld card as ID. (no drivers licence on me either!)

The doors only slam shut - gentle closing is not an option - so awoke 6 times in the night as neighbours got home. At 7am I was again roused by what could only be described as wolf howling from next door. Creative sex? Stag party? Don't know, but bloody thin walls!

They also have a visiting "spooky wifey" (that's a clarivoyant to you southeners) if you woould like to talk to imaginery friends. I think it's the last Thursday of the month.

So, The bed was ok altho not a double, 2 singles zipped together wih a very uncomfortable zip. Very clean. Unlike a travelodge, shampoo and hairdryer provided, plus biscuits. Digital tv good size and gets radio 4, huzzah. 2 sockets. And very cheap.

Cons: the clientelle. I'm paying an extra £20 for the Premier Inn next time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Emma P

Travelers are raving about these Washington hotels

York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

This hotel is ideal for low budget stays, the hotel and the rooms are clean, the staff are very welcoming and accomodating. It is also ideally located for going places during the stay as it is right on the A1. After reading a review lower about cleaners knocking on the door, the hotel do provide 'Do not disturb' signs which would stop any interuptions. Overall I found the hotel a good place to rest my head.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Stockport
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

This hotel is not bad value for money and the staff are very helpful. The decor may have been from the1970's but at least it is clean. I was happy with this hotel and will use it again.

Room Tip: if you need a lift ask for a ground floor room
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Twynholm, null, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

Stayed here overnight after seeing Bruce Springsteen in Sunderland.

First impression was poor and never got better. There are no lifts and we were on the second floor (though this did not affect us, no one told us nor asked if we needed liftaccess). The room was of a pretty poor standard with decor from the 1970's, ONE plug that worked intermittently, a bath big enough for a 5 year old. Our double bed turned out to be two single matteresses on a double base and I've no idea where they found the pillows - a skip I suspect. We still can't place the smell in the room but the nearest we could get was "excessivelu used very poor quality air freshener".

Service was 'polite' in the evening but most definately not when we got back from the concert just before midnight. A lot of guests were keen for a couple of drinks after a fantastic concert but the manager / night duty person had locked the door and when they finally appeared, we were informed in a very abrupt manner that the bar shuts at 11 and there are no exceptions. They'd had made an absolute fortune staying open to even 1am but I guess the Campanile chain just doesn't need the money.

Won't be returning!

Room Tip: If you want a good room, stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Durham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

stayed for 2 nights. hotel room was dated but clean.
We never requested an early wake up call but were bombarded with the cleaners knocking and burtsing into the room to clean the room before 9.30am
breakfast was until 11am and they wanted to clean
came back to room during breakfast to find our room door wide open with a wedge and all our things on show. the cleaner had wedged open the door and was cleaning another room
Luckily we had nothing stolen
the cleaner asked several more times to clean room while we were there i did advise her we would be going out at noon and she could come back then
Amazingly when we returned late on night the cleaner had not been and we has no towels for the morning.
All we were told on check out was "I understand" mmmmm maybe not.
Rubbish hotel with demanding staff and poor customer service skills

Room Tip: stay elsewhere
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Wakefield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

I stayed at the Campanile Hotel with my son over the Jubilee weekend to be close for a family wedding. Me and my son had a great stay at the hotel and were very happy with the room and staff. But then came my problems, on my arrival back to yorkshire I received an email for a bill more than we booked for!! Nothing was said to us whilst we were there!!! My mother booked the room on my behalf on her credit card and was advised by the staff to send an email prior to our stay on how much exactly the credit card had to be debited for, which we did £98 for 2 nights stay. On the conformation sheet this is where you have to be very vigalant, it says Bed and Breakfast rates include a continental buffet breakfast!!! aparently this is not so. We were billed an extra £16 on the credit bill £8 each per person for breakfast, why would I spend £16 on a breakfast when the Toby pub is in walking distance and I would have got more food for £3.99 Please double check exactly what you have booked for so you dont get any nasty surprises as we did. The booking.com company who we booked it through had the same attitude as the hotel manager when we questioned and provided evidence of this mish mash of information 'well you should have known' but when it states in black and white that it is included what do they expect!!! I will not be using Booking.com or the campanile Hotel chain again.

Room Tip: Double check exactly what you are paying for before entering your agreement.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank yorkielass2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington
Holiday Inn Washington
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,957 reviews
Ravensworth Arms
Ravensworth Arms
#12 of 20 in Gateshead

Been to Campanile Hotel Washington? Share your experiences!