“Still a good place to stay.”

Holiday Inn Washington
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Washington
Reviewed August 28, 2012

This was once the Post House Hotel back in the day, and it was probably one of the most upmarket hotels in the area. It's not like that anymore, but it's still a good place to stay.

Road connections are good, you're adjacent to the A1(M) at junction 64 for the A195 (but you're not right on top of it), then it's just the very next layby. The reception, bar/restaurant and lobby area are in a separate building to the rooms themselves, connected by a covered overhead walkway. This has the advantage of blocking out the noise from any wedding reception parties that are taking place in the function room, although I'd recommend you ask for a room higher up (there are seven floors including the ground floor, the top being the Executive Room floor) to eliminate this completely. Parking is free and plentiful - there is an overspill car park at the rear of the hotel with its own side entrance (closed overnight). If you're absolutely relying on public transport, I'd look elsewhere.

The rooms themselves are standard fayre for Holiday Inn. Double glazing cuts out most of the noise from the motorway, you ought not to be disturbed by this. The TV was nice and large, with HD channels available. There is aircon installed, as well as a choice of pillows, dressing gown, fridge with complimentary water and Mars bar, tea/coffee and so forth. The bed was reasonably comfortable. The bathroom was also good, if a little small - the shower worked well. Could do with an extractor fan to clear the condensation from the mirrors though.

The service is of good quality. Check in was done without fuss, and with a pleasant welcome. There was a point where my key card didn't work but it was fixed quickly. Room service were happy to customise dishes to requirements too.

The main consideration for anyone staying here is the location. If you're planning to go for a whole North-East tour, then this might be fine as a base hotel - but only if you have a car or you're on one of the many package tours that stop here. If you want to concentrate on somewhere in particular (e.g. Newcastle centre), then you might want to consider a hotel nearer to your destination. I had family nearby so it was ideal for me.

Room Tip: What appears to be the ground floor in the main building is actually the first floor - the walkway t...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank MSTD1
MgrWashington, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Dear Reviewer

Many thanks for taking the time to share such a detailed review. I was pleased to read that you had a good stay and that the hotel works well for you visiting your family.

We hope to welcome you back fora stay in the North East again soon.

Great Hotel.

Off the beaten track so quiet and accepts dogs which is a bonus.

Cannot complain about this hotel and have stayed here a few times.

Staff are great and the food good.

Would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor as the views are great.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Dear Reviewer

Many thanks for sharing your kind comments about your previous stays here at Holiday Inn Washington.

I have shared your feedback with the team and look forward to being able to welcome you back to the North East in the future.

General Mananger

Reviewed August 28, 2012

Two issues with this hotel. First, when the housemaids come to make up the rooms at 0830 they don’t wait between knocking on the door and walking right in. A 5-second wait to allow me to respond would have been courteous. Second, most serious: After leaving the hotel, both my wife and I had little bite marks in areas of our bodies that are not normally exposed to the daylight. Having stayed in some fleapits overseas, we recognised these immediately as bedbug bites.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns. I have spoken to the Housekeeping Team and asked them to review their room entry practices - we do provide Do Not Disturb signs in all of our rooms and these rooms are not disturbed at the guest's wish.

I was very surprised to hear that after your departure you seem to have discovered bed bug bites, particularly as this was for a three night stay - I would have expected you to have noticed symptoms earlier during your stay.

Nevertheless as a precaution we asked a pest control company to inspect the room and they have confirmed there are no signs of their presence.

If I can be of any additional assistance please feel free to contact me personally on 0191 418 9400.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

Stayed at this hotel on Saturday 25th September 2012 having had a wet and dismal day around the area, (due to the none stop rain) thought we would have a quite drink in the bar. Some hope!!! the hotel was hosting a wedding reception in the adjoining room with a disco so loud that with my hearing aids out I was still being deafend.I ask the duty manager if at least the door could be closed to the reception room to lessen the noise and this she said she would arrange. 30 minutes later doors still wide open and the noise getting louder my wife I (7.30pm) decided to retire to our room for the rest of the evening.
What happend to the hotels moto ' your enjoyment and comfort is our foremost concern' none at this hotel.

Room Tip: Check if any functions are being held before you decide to stay.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Reviewer

I was disappointed to read your recent review, and your frustration over the wedding party that was held here that weekend.

Please accept my apologies that this disturbed your stay - I have discussed your comments with the management team to address the staff responsiveness element you mentioned.

I trust the fact the rooms are separate to the banquet area allowed you a restful night after your retired.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Stayed nights 17/8 and 18/8/2012. Part of a coach party so was not expecting much. However we were allocated our rooms very quickly and found we had a large twin room, The tv was large no sitting on the end of the bed at this hotel. We also had a table and chair and a dressing table with another chair. Tea and coffee available in room as were shampoo and shower gel. Room very clean. Breakfast was buffet style with everything anyone could want. Staff friendly and helpful. Best hotel I have stayed in.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Reviewer

I was absolutely delighted to read your review of your recent stay here with us as a coach tour guest.

It was lovely to read that the hotel ticked so many boxes for you and in particular your kind comments about the team, which I have shared with them.

We hope to be able to welcome you back again in the future if you are visiting the North East again.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

I booked this hotel very last minute as I unexpectedly found myself in the area and was truly delighted to have found it! Very good price, excellent service and very good food (far better than I expect from a Holiday Inn).
The hotel is not by any means new, and there are far nicer Holiday Inn's in the UK however the staff really do make it a nice place to stay.

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel and I will certainly be back!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Dear Reviewer

I was delighted to read your glowing review of your stay with us and have shared your kind comments with the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Your sincerely

Reviewed August 2, 2012

I got what I would expect and desire for a business trip. Once night stay, room was clean, lobby was presentable and staff was courteous. Food was actually pretty good, dinner was better than expected, but wifi was not free. Can someone please tell me why wifi is free in a Holiday Inn Express, but not Holiday Inn? The HIXP is less per night and has free breakfast...

Location was good and close to the highway, but I was working in Durham which was about 15 minutes away by car. I was quite pleased to have my own iron and ironing board. I hate having to request one and inevitably wait as they are all loaned out. This was a nice surprise along with the pants press. I would gladly stay there again if I am in the area.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Dear Reviewer

Many thanks for taking the time review your stay with is at the beginning of the month.

I was delighted to read that we had lived up to your expectations and in some areas exceeded them. I have noted your frustration regarding the internet charges. Essentially as a franchise organisation Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express have a number of different ownerships and some provide internet free and others charge. I will certainly share your feedback when we next review this service.

I look forward to being able to welcome you back for a future stay here in Washington if you are doing business here again.

Francis Hindle

Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington
Premier Inn Newcastle (Washington) Hotel
Lumley Castle Hotel
Lumley Castle Hotel
#5 of 18 in Durham
Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa

Been to Holiday Inn Washington? Share your experiences!