“Well worth it at reduced cost. Would not pay full”

Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Washington
Reviewed July 12, 2014

3 course meal lovely for £18. Would go in summer as lovely to sit outside on night. Grounds really well kept. Only complaint would be no air conditioning in room. Luckily had a window to lock open. Bed very big and comfortable. Bathroom modern and clean.Bar reasonable price. Hardly saw staff. Not the best.

• Stayed: July 2014
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to the Hotel. I will discuss your comments regarding air conditioning for bedrooms at my next review meeting with the hotel's owners.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

A bit disappointed. We booked an executive room, the room itself was very nice, big and very clean with a big comfy bed. The room was red hot and when we opened the window the noise from the buildings fans was terrible and we had to close the window. So we cooked all night in a very hot room. The view from the window was the roof of the bar. The noise from the other guests even kept my husband (who can usually sleep through anything) awake. I was lucky to have earplugs to use. Beer bottles were littering corridors both days we were there. pool area was very small and we had to walk through gym in our costumes to get from changing rooms to pool which we both found embarrassing. We didn't eat in hotel so cant comment on food. so in all I was disappointed after paying extra for a better room and having an unconformable night. Will stick with Premier Inn next time

Room Tip: ask for a room that doesn't look out onto roof
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank susan t
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

Dear Guest

I am sorry that on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating this matter. I will ensure improvements are implemented as soon as possible.

Reviewed June 28, 2014

I visited newcastle for the first time for my mates hen party. Staff at the hotel were very welcoming and the serve was excellent! All staff couldn't do enough for you and were very friendly and easy to talk to. None of us wanted to leave!

Will be visiting again!

Anyone who has never been to this hotel has to try it, I am sure you will love it and if you don't, there is something wrong with yoy as the hotel apeals to all ages and needs/wants

Thank you to all staff at the george washington, you made my first visit to Newcastle I brilliant one!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank 824Samantha
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind comments and compliments – I am delighted that you and your friends enjoyed your stay at the hotel and the North East. I hope this will be the first of many visits to the hotel and Newcastle.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

Stayed here with my friends for my 40th had a spa break, was fab value for money excellent service, david the bar manager was excellent nothing was to much trouble, room was clean & modern, leisure facility's were great & spa treatment was define, will be going back.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Lyndzey
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your kind review. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed June 21, 2014

Had a four night stay here recently on a Grand Uk coach holiday and found this hotel clean and comfortable. My wife and I enjoyed our stay although we thought that queuing up like a bunch of school kids on a school outing for the main course at our evening meal was demeaning. The evening meal service was slow at times as it seems priority was given to guests in the main dinning room (our coach party were segregated in a partititioned off part of the restaurant out of sight of the diners paying for their a la carte meals). Not withstanding, the staff were polite and courteous and as stated, we enjoyed our stay. A word of warning however, if your room is on the ground floor beware of the noise emanating from the room above. The floors in those rooms seem to magnify even the slightest noise. Our room was clean and comfortable, digital tv, iron and ironing board, fridge and a decent selection of coffee, tea and drinking chocolate to chose from. Bathroom was fairly large with a very impressive shower with lots and lots of hot water.

Room Tip: Book an upstairs room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ray B

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to the hotel. I am delighted that you and your wife enjoyed your stay. I have noted your comments and will ensure improvements are implemented from your feedback as soon as possible.

I do hope to welcome you and your wife back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed June 16, 2014

Have just returned from a 3 night stay at the george washington spa hotel. We were very impressed with the size of the family room. Made daily use of the swimming pool, which my daughter loved. The majority of the staff were lovely and really helpful. Our only criticisms are that the breakfast seemed overpriced and so we went out, and on the one occassion we decided to try the restaurant for an evening meal, we really expected something exceptional having seen the prices, but it wasnt great and the staff didnt really seem bothered that there were bits of the meal missing. Desserts werent great and again, staff didnt ask if we wanted the apple caramel slice warmed...it was clearly a bought in catering dessert, so they could have made some attempt to make it seem less so...a bit of whipped cream or hot caramel sauce...anything really.
To summarise, would definitely stay here again for the room and the swimming pool, but wouldnt eat here.
Also, the reception area is quitedark and depressing and if it had a bit more lighting and a few plants or something would be a nice place to sit for a coffee, for when coach loads arrive etc...providing they invested in a decent coffee machine and didnt use restaurant staff to serve it, oh and didnt try and charge over the odds!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank funnystrawberry
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to the hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and I have noted your comments regarding the restaurant. I will ensure improvements are implemented as soon as possible.

Your feedback is very much appreciated.

Reviewed June 15, 2014

Rooms here are wonderful, staff are courteous, friendly and efficient. Food in my opinion (and coach passengers) is excellent quality with great choice of menu. I would rate this hotel 5+
review on behalf of my dad, Dean who is a Shearings driver who uses this hotel every 2 weeks with passengers returning from Scotland. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank sean c

Dear Guest

Thanks for your review. I am glad you have had a good stay with us.

See you on your next trip hopefully!

Martin Hall

Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington
Holiday Inn Washington
#3 of 10 in Sunderland
Lumley Castle Hotel
Lumley Castle Hotel
#5 of 18 in Durham

Been to Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa? Share your experiences!