“Mercure Washington. Brilliant stays” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa

Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Washington
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Mercure Washington. Brilliant stays”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014

Rooms here are wonderful, staff are courteous, friendly and efficient. Food in my opinion (and coach passengers) is excellent quality with great choice of menu. I would rate this hotel 5+
review on behalf of my dad, Dean who is a Shearings driver who uses this hotel every 2 weeks with passengers returning from Scotland. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank sean c
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear Guest

Thanks for your review. I am glad you have had a good stay with us.

See you on your next trip hopefully!

Martin Hall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Hamilton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2014

This is my second time staying her in just over a year. I wrote a review last year in which I praised the hotel and thought it was ideal for golfers.

2nd time around however and standards have certainly slipped. My main gripe is with the food. Last year, there were around 15 of us staying at the weekend on a DB&B package which allowed us to order from the a la carte menu. The food was very good and served to us at our table. This year, we arrived to find that they have removed the a la carte menu at weekends, and instead we were offered a limited set meal menu, from which the main courses we were expected to go and get ourselves from a buffet!! The standard of food was poor to say the least. Breakfast on the first day wasnt any better, with soggy hash browns and taking 15 mins to replace the scrambled egg, which left around 15 people standing around. (it was better 2nd day, not sure if different chef)

i did try and resolve this with the manager and asked for a part refund of the money we paid, however this was ignored which again is very disappointing. The hotel did offer to treat us better if we come back again next year, but I really cant see that happening now - had they reflected our stay by discounting the bill then I would have been happy.

Other aspects of the hotel?
Rooms - No complaints - clean and fridge in the room was helpful.
Staff - Most very helpful and polite
Golf course - Condition wise, this has slipped a bit from last year too. Rough had been left to grow quite substantially which slowed up the round as a lot of people searched for their golf balls.
location - was only 10 mins or so in a taxi into newcastle town centre (£15 or so).

So to sum up, dont think ill be rushing back, which is a shame as the hotel does have positives but food and customer service has let it down.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank markj186
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Dear Guest

I am sorry that on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay this year compared to last year.

I would like to assure you that improvements will be implemented from your comments. The gesture of goodwill I offered you and your party was made in a genuine attempt to restore your good faith and reward your loyalty to the hotel and the golf course. I do hope you re-consider as I would very much like to welcome you and your party back to the hotel in 2015.

Kind regards

nd regards, [General Manager Name]
"

Travelers are raving about these Washington hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

Stayed here for wedding night and very disappointed. On check in there was a fire Alarm, the reception staff ran from the building and told us to wait a minute, they then went ahead and did there emergency escape plan while we waited at reception, luckily it was a false Alarm. The rio was large but had two beds pushed together which we kept falling down. The balcony outside of the room had bits missing and the wood was rotted so is a health and safety issue and after the cleaners had been there was hair in the bath and on toilet seat. Food was disgusting and staff need to be put on a customer course. Will never stay again and the best Part of this hotel is the road out unless you want a trip back to the early 80s

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Allan666
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Dear Guest

I am sorry that on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating this matter. I will ensure improvements are implemented from your comments immediately.

Thank you for your feedback.

Sunderland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2014

Stayed overnight on a special deal with a treatment and meal and breakfast next day!!! Great value for money! Meal was absolutely enormous only managed 2 courses not a criticism mind!!! Staff were brilliant! Treatment was amazing well worth our money!! My only issue would be the jacuzzi needed a clean but we did not notice till it turned off and we could not turn back on!!! This was my second time and I will defo go back!!
Rooms were fab very clean indeed well done George Washington!!!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Linda O
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind comments and compliments – I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. I will ensure the Spa Bath cleanliness is reviewed and improved for the future.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2014

fantastic stay lovely spa pool. The room was lovely roomy and comfortable. Didn't have any food as it was a bit pricey and there were other pubs/takeaways nearby. The hot chocolate was lush. The staff were helpful and friendly.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Caron R
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to the hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights last week and would highly recommend this hotel. From the outside it looks a bit tired and dated so I wasn't expecting too much but was pleasantly surprised.

My bedroom and en-suite was spotless. Even had a decent Iron and board in the ample wardrobe.The breakfast was really good and they fry the eggs to order which is great. The staff were all polite and efficient.

Special mention goes to Gary the duty Manager who never seems to stop but took time to recommend places of interest we may like to visit. Also, when houskeeping forgot to leave my daughter clean towels a quick call to reception saw Gary straight along with fresh towels. Excellent.

If we are ever in the area again we would definitely stay here.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank jellycat11
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this review, May 21, 2014

Jarrow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

Had a fantastic overnight stay over a weekend period. Sat/Sun. The receptionist upon arrival was pleasant and helpful. We had a well furnished room and on the Saturday evening enjoyed a lovely meal in the restaurant. Good food and excellent service by pleasant staff.
The breakfast the following morning was also very good..
There is a pleasant lounge area where you can sit and chat or watch the TV etc.
We have since returned on Saturday evenings just for a meal in the restaurant.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gordon F
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your kind review. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Martin Hall
Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington
Quality Hotel Boldon
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,956 reviews
Beamish Park Hotel
Beamish Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Marley Hill

Been to Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa? Share your experiences!