Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa
Hotels.com
$58
HolidayInn.com
  • Restaurant
Premier Inn Newcastle (Washington) Hotel(Washington)(Great Value!)
$71
PremierInn.com
Travelodge Washington A1 M Northbound(Washington)(Great Value!)
$50
Travelodge
$82
Travelocity
Angel View Inn(Gateshead)(Great Value!)
$53
Premier Inn Sunderland A19/A1231 Hotel(Sunderland)(Great Value!)
$50
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewssteam roomfour poster beddriving rangesunday lunchgreat nightthe ground floorevening mealcouldn't faulttea and coffeeone night stayfull englishtreatmentfitchfacilitiescarterorangerywedding
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 6, 2014

We received a groupon coupon for an hour on the golf simulator and use of the leisure facilities for the day. We were shown how to use the simulator by a very helpful (and patient) member of the Golf club staff. Slough neither of us had played for years we really enjoyed the experience and spent well over the allotted time without any problems .
After the golf we enjoyed a very good club sandwich and drinks in the main hotel bar. The gentleman who served us was also covering the reception but the service was good although the drinks were typically hotel prices.
We then tried the leisure facilities, gym and pool.
The gym member of staff,Rob,was very helpful and went out of his way to ensure that we used the equipment properly and safely and he also ensured that everything was ok in the pool area.
Altogether a very enjoyable day.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Martin H, Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to the hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kind regards,

Gary Naylor
Operations Manager

Reviewed February 2, 2014

Entering the Hotel was pleasant to the eye. My first impression was good. This changed however when I tried to check in and noted on the arrival card that the rate displayed was much less than what I had already paid for my accomodation. I queried this with the receptionist, to which she replied that there is a higher rate for paying through an agent and they charge commission. Why then would you disclose to the guest the cheaper rate that you actually would charge?
Although the room was basic, it was clean and perfectly adequate for our needs. After a long journey, we made the decision to eat in the Hotel restaurant, as the menu looked nice and we thought that we would enjoy a meal there before going out for the evening. How wrong we were!!
On arrival in the restaurant, it was empty, no other diners at this time. We asked if we could have a table to which the waitress replied "do you have a booking?" and then promptly disappeared. The manager then showed us to a table, gave us food menus, however we weren't informed of the daily specials or offered a drinks menu. We asked for a drinks list and this was provided. 15 minutes later, no-one had come near our table to take an order, so my friend eventually went to the bar to get the drinks. She had to bring the drinks herself, and open the bottle of wine, as there was no offer of doing this for us. The glasses given for the prosecco were covered in fingerprints and were filthy! By this time, I had to go and find a waitress to come and take our order. We asked what the roast special was, "I don't know" was the reply and she walked away! She asked another staff member, but he didn't know either, so went away to find out. This further delayed our order being taken and resulted in us having been in the restaurant for around 30 minutes without any order being taken. The starters arrived "Haggis, Neeps & Tatties croquettes" and "Chicken Liver Pate" Well, when they were placed on the table, the three of us looked at each other and laughed. The Pate looked as brown as a beef stock cube and was as flaky and crumbly as one too. The croquette looked like a McCain frozen one, with no sign of haggis or neeps in them! As we had waited so long by now and were so hungry, we ate the croquettes, but couldn't bring ourselves to finish the pate as it was so awful.
We had to call the waitress back to the table, as there was no sign of her approching to clear these away, so we asked at this point to speak to the manager. We then waited for her, and when appeared, she apologised for the delay as she had been away dealing with a leak in the Hotel, and the waitress on duty was only a trainee. I explained the issues to the manager as well as apologising for doing so, as I don't like to complain, but as the experience so far had been truly awful, I felt compelled to say something. We informed her that we wanted to cancel the main courses as we had been put off the meal. She tried to persuade us to stay, and said she would sort something with our final bill. We declined this offer, however she was persistant that we remain in the restaurant. She disappeared, we were left sitting not knowing what was happening, so we finished our drinks at the table, when she reappeared with the bill. We were presented with a bill for £10 for the two starters, even although we had complained about how offputting they were! We were told because we has eaten some of the starters, we had to pay for them, to which I was appauled. By now, the three of us were furious, having stated our unhappiness at the starters, she still expected us to pay for them! She said that she would have to further investigate the issue as she hadn't been present during the service of these. I refused to accept this bill, and after several minutes of discussion she suddenly changed her attitude and told us there would be nothing to pay. As part of this discussion, we asked for the general manager's details, to which she hurriedly gave half of an email address verbally.
Overall, we feel badly let down by the service we received, and this really spoiled what was suposed to be a nice get together for my friends and I. We don't expect to hear anything back from this manager, as our overall impression of her is that she wasn't really interested in customer satisfaction, and perhaps shouldn't be left in charge of the Hotel if she isn't willing to listen to her guests! On a happier note, we did encounter one member of staff who was more than willing to assist the guests-Ken, the Night Porter. Well done Ken!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Martin H, Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Dear Guest

I am sorry that on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating this matter. I will ensure improvements from your comments are implemented as soon as possible.

Kind regards

Gary Naylor
Operations Manager

Reviewed January 26, 2014

Room very comfortable with very large bed. Evening meal was lovely although service on the slow side. Pool and gym were great.
One negative was that directions around the hotel were not very clear.
Breakfast was buffet and nice and warm. Although buffet chef poached eggs for me without hesitation.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Dear Guest

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for one night early this month and disappointed isn't the word to describe this place. The facilities i couldn't fault but the food was terrible. Had to wait ages for it and it was a let down. Also i left some personal belongings and when i got in touch with the hotel nothing was found. So beware of the house keeping staff because it was obviously those who took them as they are no where to be found. Would never stay here again and will be informing a lot of people to go elsewhere if they stay in washington as the aftercare is disgusting towards their customers. I also work for a big company who use this hotel a lot and now they are looking at different hotels.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank mattnandrea
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. Further to our telephone conversations, it is unfortunate your lost property has not been found at the hotel. I am confident that the housekeeping department followed our rigouress policy regarding lost property. Indeed the Head Housekeeper contacted the hotel's laundry company to see if your slippers had been inadvertantly included in the bed linen. However, our laundry company have been unable to locate your slippers. I can appreciate your frustration but, I hope you can see the hotel and its employees have taken this seriously and have made every effort to find your slippers. I am sorry we have been unable to locate your property.

I understand you attended a friend's birthday celebrations at the hotel and it was good that your party's orgainser made the time to send me an email to complement the hotel on an enjoyable weekend.

Regards

Reviewed January 22, 2014

Very good accommodation but finding rooms down long corridors a bit tedious.
Dinner was of good quality but was rather expensive as were the drinks. At least they had decent malt whisky to assuage the pain of the cost.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Iain S
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at the hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed your meal at the hotel.

I do hope you will consider staying at the hotel again in the future.

Regards