“Comfortable Hotel”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Washington
Lanarkshire
“Comfortable Hotel”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Room very comfortable with very large bed. Evening meal was lovely although service on the slow side. Pool and gym were great.
One negative was that directions around the hotel were not very clear.
Breakfast was buffet and nice and warm. Although buffet chef poached eggs for me without hesitation.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear Guest

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Martin Hall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for one night early this month and disappointed isn't the word to describe this place. The facilities i couldn't fault but the food was terrible. Had to wait ages for it and it was a let down. Also i left some personal belongings and when i got in touch with the hotel nothing was found. So beware of the house keeping staff because it was obviously those who took them as they are no where to be found. Would never stay here again and will be informing a lot of people to go elsewhere if they stay in washington as the aftercare is disgusting towards their customers. I also work for a big company who use this hotel a lot and now they are looking at different hotels.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank mattnandrea
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. Further to our telephone conversations, it is unfortunate your lost property has not been found at the hotel. I am confident that the housekeeping department followed our rigouress policy regarding lost property. Indeed the Head Housekeeper contacted the hotel's laundry company to see if your slippers had been inadvertantly included in the bed linen. However, our laundry company have been unable to locate your slippers. I can appreciate your frustration but, I hope you can see the hotel and its employees have taken this seriously and have made every effort to find your slippers. I am sorry we have been unable to locate your property.

I understand you attended a friend's birthday celebrations at the hotel and it was good that your party's orgainser made the time to send me an email to complement the hotel on an enjoyable weekend.

Regards

Lanark, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Very good accommodation but finding rooms down long corridors a bit tedious.
Dinner was of good quality but was rather expensive as were the drinks. At least they had decent malt whisky to assuage the pain of the cost.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Iain S
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at the hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed your meal at the hotel.

I do hope you will consider staying at the hotel again in the future.

Regards

Heswall, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 22, 2014

We stayed for one night in January. The hotel was very quiet and when we walked into the bar area for a drink pre dinner it was probably 10 minutes before anyone appeared to serve. The same girl was waiting on the restaurant too. The food was excellent but did take quite a long time but was quite obviously freshly cooked to order so forgivable.
On Sunday morning our daughter wanted to swim before breakfast so we went to the leisure club. The changing rooms do not lead to the pool area as is more usual, have to come back out into the corridor and access the pool via the gym. Odd, not a problem for us,but some might be off put I think. Pool was fine and steam room was good too. Charge is made for leisure club towels so take them from the room.
Breakfast was excellent, again hot food cooked to order but when we asked for 2 teas we got 2 cups of tea, not pots of tea which meant we had to ask our waitress for more. All in all we enjoyed our night and would stay again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank EEC73
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit.

I look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

My mam booked this hotel as a surprise 30th birthday present. It was a deal of b&b with a £40 allowance for a meal in the restaurant. After not having an evening away from my young children I thought this was a perfect gift. When I arrived at the hotel at 4pm I was told the pool/spa was closed and the food at the restaurant was a set menu only! The hotel was empty and had no atmosphere, even the lights where turned off, bar closed and no chef in to ask about our evening meal.
We went to our room and it was big but it was 2 single beds pushed together so not romantic at all the tv was at the other side of the room so you couldn't see it from the bed. The bathroom was big and had a whirlpool bath but not enough towels and no toilet brush.
We finally got a call from reception to say the hotel had not had it's food delivery therefor we had a choice of 3 mains and 3 deserts all of which sounded awful so after complaining the hotel refunded my mams debit card the £40 for our meal but we then had to try and find somewhere to eat ! In the morning ( no room service) and the maid banging on our door at 9am we just wanted to go home so checked out ... Worse night in a hotel

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank 1984444
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent visit to the hotel. I would like to offer my sincere apologies for your disappointment. I have noted your comments I will ensure they are addressed for the future, specifically between Chrsitmas and New Year for 2014.

luton
Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

Stayed the night recently and was very impressed from start to finish. Nice professional staff. Spacious room. Gym, pool, sauna and steam rooms were very nice. Breakfast and lunch very nice too. All in all a very good value hotel.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank hammered70
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to the hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

"
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Spent New Years Eve at the George Washington - and had an absolutely wonderful evening. Stayed overnight, fantastic room and wonderful service.
The food on the evening was outstanding, fantastic quality and was topped off with a bacon buttie at midnight - excellent.
The staff were outstanding - in both their attention to detail and service all evening.
The entertainment on the evening was excellent - and someone I would love to see again - had us singing along, what more can I say.
Other than really looking forward to my Rotary Presidents Night in the hotel next month

Well done to all the management and staff
Carole Pritchard

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Carole P
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your kind review. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Martin Hall
Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington
Holiday Inn Washington
#1 of 1 in West Boldon
Premier Inn Newcastle (Washington) Hotel
Newcastle Gateshead Marriott Hotel MetroCentre
Holiday Inn Newcastle - Gosforth Park
Holiday Inn Newcastle - Gosforth...
#23 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Crowne Plaza Newcastle - Stephenson Quarter
Crowne Plaza Newcastle - Stephen...
#7 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne

Been to Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa? Share your experiences!