“Great value hotel - ideal for golfers”

Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Washington
Hamilton, United Kingdom
“Great value hotel - ideal for golfers”
Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here as a group of 12 for 2 nights dinner, bed & breakfast and 2 rounds of golf.

Rooms were fine, it's a 3 star hotel so can't complain. Clean enough although not the biggest. I stayed in room 5 which had French doors out onto a shared rooftop with 3 other rooms. Would have been good if the hotel had given those rooms to my party. Only other complaint was towel rail in bathroom was on and we couldn't switch off which made our room like a sauna. Phoned reception and someone was meant to come and fix but it never happened. No mini bar in room but there was a fridge which came in handy.

Dinner on the first night was nice. As part of D,B&B deal you choose from the main menu excluding steaks etc. plenty of choice and everyone enjoyed it. Breakfast the next morning was good too. Hot buffet wasn't out though so this was made to order which was ok. You had to get your own tea and coffee though. Anywhere else I've stayed, this would be brought to your table.

The Hotel
The hotel itself is about 10 mins in a car from Newcastle town centre. Never used the swimming pool etc so can't comment. Used the bar a lot though. Prices ok. Most staff helpful. Reception sorted out a minibus for us both nights to get into town.

Golf course
The golf course is part of the hotel and is in pretty good condition especially for this time of year. Have played a few hotel courses over the years and the courses tend to be poorly kept but we were all pleasantly surprised. The course is a nice layout. Not too challenging.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank markj186
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Guest

Thanks for your review. I am glad you and your party had a good stay with us.

I am sorry the maintenance issue in your bathroom was not rectified during your stay. I ensure our procedures are improved for the future. However, thank you for your feedback regarding the condition of the golf course. Our Head Green Keeper and his team have worked extremely hard, in what can only be described as very difficult conditions since October last year, so your comments are much appreciated.

See you on your next trip hopefully!

Martin Hall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
coatbridge
Reviewed April 27, 2013

This was our third visit to this hotel, and as usual we were not let down by the staff in any department. On behalf of all of my group a very big thank you to each and every one of you, from the reception staff and kitchen staff golf staff everyone not a badun amongst them. The food was very good and plenty of it i had fish and chips and the fish i had should have went to weight watchers it was massive The rooms were warm but were very clean and plenty of tea coffee and toiletries.
The golf course was very good the greens were a bit poor but you could see the work that was going into them so we could put up with that, if you had a bad putt you could not blame the greens though.
Lastly I have seen some very bad reviews of this hotel, and can only assume it is that rare breed of person that we have all met that would complain if the snow on the pavement was not whit enough go and see for yourself.

Room Tip: choose upstairs so that you can leave the window open at night
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank thehacker
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you and your party enjoyed your third visit to the hotel again. I look forward to seeing you and your party again in the near future.

Kind regards

Clacton-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I took a coach group to this hotel for a 5 day break and cannot fault it. Everything was excellent - the service, rooms, food, all of it. Nothing was too much trouble for them and I would be delighted to find I go back there another time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SpiritofFreedom1916
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind comments and compliments – I am delighted that you and your party enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2013

This was my second visit to the George Washington, as I had been very impressed with my first, and again, I would find out, I would not be disappointed. The receptionist on duty on our arrival, was attentitive, cheerful and very smart. She fully explained our options, including evening meals and breakfast. I am unable to comment on the food however, as I was visiting family, and ate with them. The room was immaculate, very spacious with a huge bed. There was also a single bed, and a sofa bed, so I presumed that the size of the room was because it was normally for families, even though there were only 2 of us. We were informed that the 'facilities' were free to use as we were staying, but I did not actually ask which, as we had a busy schedule. When we left the hotel, or came back in, the receptionist was polite and cheerful. Went into the bar for a pint, whilst waiting for my partner, and thought that was a bit expensive, but there are pubs within walking distance. Overall, yet another good comfortable stay. Just a tip, when booking your room, get it through a late minute site on the web, it's a lot cheaper than dealing with the hotel directly, and I go my 'last minute' reservations 6 weeks before my stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank branding454
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your kind review. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

jarrow
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I should have realised from onset when I emailed for information and Rani came back saying , check website!!! I had done but needed more info and that had been why I emailed, I also asked if we could have an ice bucket in our room as it was our 10th wedding anniversary but was told, no they are for the restaurant only!!! We were planning a meal in the restaurant but decided to go elsewhere, room was nice and clean and comfortable, breakfast was luke warm and coffee cold, just sat down to breakfast and told they ere taking it away ( 9.30am) but we could ask if needed anything. overall very disappointed, especially with Rani. I thought customer service was meant to be essential, I certainly didn't feel importantant and really upset we chose this hotel for such an important time for my husband and I.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

I am sorry that on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating this matter. I will ensure improvements are implemented as soon as possible with an emphasis on customer service skills.

Hamilton, Bermuda
Reviewed April 13, 2013

The hotel is located in a scenic and quiet area with Sunderland, Newcastle and the Tyne Tunnel easy to reach by car. The room was very clean, the bathroom spacious and the bed very comfortable. But the best was the staff! They were just wonderful and went over and beyond to help me out- always with smile! First I needed a permit and thanks to the reception staff Claire and Leanne I managed to get hold of a print out so I was able to finish my work on time. The next day I had a flat tyre and the maintainance staff came out and quickly changed it for me. They also pointed me in the direction of a tyre place so the flat could be fixed. I was on a very tight schedule and had to leave the country a few hours later by ferry. Thanks to the staff all went well and I was able to continue my travels! Thanks again for saving me ;-)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Alexandra W
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this review, April 15, 2013

Reviewed April 12, 2013

I booked a pamper day with my friend and wish I hadn't bothered! Pool area was not relaxing.. No loungers, too hot, chlorine too high! Massage was rough and therapist was chewing gum! No one was around to welcome us and point is in the right direction, did not feel welcome, let alone relaxed.
Complained to manager who has said that they will implement changes..no compensation, good will offering! . I certainly won't be spending my money there again!

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Guest

I am really sorry to hear that your day in the Montana Spa was not up to your expectations. I will ensure improvements are implemented from your comments as soon as possible.

Martin Hall
Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington
Premier Inn Newcastle (Washington) Hotel
#6 of 6 in Washington
Royal Station Hotel
Royal Station Hotel
#25 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne

Been to Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa? Share your experiences!