“Terrible noise in room”

Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Washington
Reviewed March 18, 2013

My mai issue was that the room I was given had an adjoining door to the next door. When I went in my room I was a little put out that above all other noise I was making, the TV noise from next door was louder, coming through the door. I though this would be ok once it was turned off. Unfortunately the guy next door had a snore louder than the TV. I even tried banging on the door at one point then later on phoning the room. The net result, I had very little sleep.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Chrisjmann67
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments from your recent stay at the hotel.

I would like to offer my sincere apologises for the noise disturbance you encountered during your stay at the hotel. I will investigate this issue with the maintenance team at the hotel and together we will ensure improvements are implemented to ensure such an incident is avoided in the future.

I would like to thank you for bringing your comments to my attention. I do hope you feel able to give the hotel a second chance in the near future.

Mercure George Washington Hotel, Golf & Spa

There are newer reviews for Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa

Reviewed March 16, 2013

I stayed overnight with my husband in order to attend a local birthday function. The hotel was clean and comfortable and our room was quiet and not disturbed by day or night.
We did not have time to utilise all the facilities such as as the pool and sauna which was unfortunate as this seemed a useful option. Staff were friendly and helpful.
Finding the restaurant proved to be a challenge as the signs do not lead to the destination. We eventually went outside from reception to re-enter through another access near to the restaurant. There was a good buffet breakfast waiting to reward our efforts.
We booked the stay with the intention of using Tesco vouchers as partial payment through a special offer that had been promoted. The hotel reservations confirmed that this was acceptable at the time of booking and reception reconfirmed it when we checked in. However it seems that this was not possible and when we checked out, the vouchers were refused and we eventually found that that the full cost had been charged to my credit card despite our insistence that there should be no credit card charges. My card was taken for assurance only and we intended to settle any costs by cash. Reception were unable to resolve this at checkout and we eventually learned by telephone the following week that charges were made on the credit card.
We lost the value of our vouchers equivalent to £60 against the hotel bill.
With the benefit of hindsight this was indicated in the small print but not advised through two separate enquiries with hotel staff. This left the whole experience tarnished in our memory.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
2  Thank Connersbirthday
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your comments from your recent stay at the hotel. The aim of the hotel is to meet and indeed exceed the expectations of our guests.

I would like to offer my sincere apologises for the problem you experienced with regard to the charges of your stay at the hotel. Unfortunately, the hotel does not have the facility to process Tesco Clubcard points directly. Tesco Clubcard provides a booking contact telephone number in their brochure, which details the process of how to redeem your points for hotel accommodation.

I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding the cleanliness and amenities of your bedroom at the hotel.

I do hope you feel able to return to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Stayed at this hotel whilst on business and was very pleasantly surprised. The accommodation is clean and upmarket though some rooms are quite a way from reception! The hotel boasts a number of facilities not least the restaurant where I ate for the two nights i was there and I must say the food was great!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your comments from your stay at the hotel. Customer reviews are very important, as this enables the hotel to understand the impressions of its guests.

I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding the both cleanliness and the quality of food in the restaurant at the hotel.

Unfortunately, the layout of the hotel, being only two storeys, can mean that some bedrooms are a walk to the reception and the restaurant.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

So I decided to stay at the Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa in well Newcastle. I don't regret it. The hotel is everything I would have come to expect from Accor's Mercure brand. Where to begin thats the problem.

Things I loved about the hotel.
OK well it had 5 plug sockets for a start. Those were just the one's I counted. For a hotel that's really very good normally you can expect to find just a single or a double at the most. Perfect for business travelers.
Nice flat screen TV, very nice picture and excellent sound quality, No complaining there.
Wifi - ITS FREE! Thats right its free and thats the hotels absolute selling point. Its fast, reliable and I can pick it up absolutely everywhere even the toilets. The handover from one wireless access point to the other is seemless - perfect!
The beds are some of the most comfortable I have ever slept in. I mattress are firm but so soft you just melt in them! Not complaints there either.
Furnishings are up to date with an amazingly beautiful and sparkling barthroom. The floor was so shiny I could almost see my face in it.
The water is both fast and hot at all times.
Customers services are second to none, CANNOT fault them. Friendly, courteous and take pride in their job and looking after their customers.
The pool is of average size maybe a little small but its not a swimming complex but its fine, I didn't get into it. Spa/Jacuzz is clean and does everything it says on the tin! No complaints there.
Really nice hot chocolate in rooms sorry has to be said. The price of the rooms even at last minute is more than acceptable. The hotel is hard to find, very hard and I ended up getting a cab because I couldn't get there. There isn't any signs to it but that is the councils job I hope they will talk to them x

Food was above average quality infact it was gorgeous. :)

Only poor things are:

Avoid staying Saturday nights, as groups can be a bit noisy. Its not their fault. They do their best to sort the problem out when it happens.

No air conditioning in rooms or air cooling. If you need these facilities which most of you won't then stay somewhere else. This is fine for everyone who doesn't have severe heat sensitivity disorders.

And..........thats it. I cannot put the hotel down. Its almost perfect. If you have a car or the money to travel from the town cetre (5 miles) stay here.

Room Tip: Its out of the way. Get the postcode of the hotel as most cab drivers don't seem to know where t...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Jamie P

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your comments from your recent stay at the hotel. Customer feedback is extremely important as this is the one true measure of monitoring the hotel’s performance.

I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding the both the facilities and the hotel team at the hotel.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

I have given this hotel an average rating as that is what it is, nothing really bad but nothing great either. The room was a good size and clean and it was reasonable value for money.
I stayed here on a Saturday night on my own, it seemed like a lot of youngsters were staying here too so there was a lot of noise in the corridor at night.
My leaving memory of the hotel was getting out, it seems like a labyrinth of corridors and not very well signposted.
I am pretty sure if I had stayed here on a weekday my rating would have been higher, bed and pillows were comfortable but the noise of people running around screaming was just too much.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank daneworth
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your comments from your recent stay at the hotel. Customer feedback is extremely important as this is the true measure of monitoring the hotel’s performance.

I would like to offer my sincere apologises for the problems you encountered during your stay at the hotel. The internal signage of the hotel could be improved and this is a topic which I will address. I am sorry you experienced noise disturbance. May I suggest for the future you, contact the Night Team, as they would be happy to contact any guests making excessive noise and take the necessary action.

I do hope you feel able to return to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

me and my boyfriend stayed here for 1 night on the 14th February for the valentines special which we had paid £169.00 for. We arrived just after 2 where we were welcomed with a great receptionist who told us where we could find everything and was very helpful. We paid for the executive room which included a king size bed and jacuzzi bathroom, that was exactly what we got it was fab! Very clean and comfy, enough decent channels on television, only thing I could fault was when you were lying in bed the nets and bar from the bed would block the television + there wasn't enough shower gel or sugar for tea or coffee but we could collect some from the cleaners anytime we seen them. The leisure facilities were good a small pool but definitely big enough and great sauna, jacuzzi and steam room, we did have to ask twice for some of them to be turned on and the gym is opposite so people can see inside, considering you're getting changed and they all look in since there is no changing facilities. Evening meal for 2 was included and we had to go to reception to book our table, the receptionist then showed us a menu to which you can choose from, but when we got there it was a set menu which we didn't know about, my boyfriend wanted to have duck as his starter but we would of had to pay extra money for this to which we refused. Meal was fantastic though, great chefs and we did leave a tip (was only really for the fab cooking), the service was okay they have this one foreign woman who is the manager I think and we had to repeat ourselves 3 times so she could understand what we were saying. We had a good nights sleep and had to be up early for our room service breakfast that we had pre paid for and our choices were cereals, toast etc not including a cooked breakfast which we had hoped for, I rang the restaurant asking about this to which the same foreign woman who by the way I had to repeat myself to AGAIN! she said we had to pay £13.95 each to have a cooked breakfast to which I hung up the phone. So we had to drive down to the galleries and get our own. Soon after we got back to our room and our key didn't work so we had to ask one of the cleaners to let me in while my boyfriend went to reception to ask about this, they said it had timed out and gave us a replacement, while he was down there he mentioned what had happened about our breakfast and the woman at reception told him that the woman from the restaurant gave us the wrong information and that we were meant to have a free cooked breakfast, we weren't happy about this and the receptionist happily spoke to her manager to which we were offered a free lunch which came to £15 and we had to pay for our own drinks! But what I had paid for would of came to £28 so it wasn't worth it at all, I would of preferred a refund. But we were tired and didn't want a fuss so we accepted what had happened and enjoyed our lunch. On our way back to our room we walked the way we usually did and were refused to go that way from a little cleaner who was blocking the whole hallway cleaning the floor with no wet signs up, she then told us to walk back round and go outside to the entrance towards our room instead of letting us past! All in all I would probably stay here again only for the nice and friendly girls from reception who helped us with everything.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank bethnkiely

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Mercure Newcastle George Washington, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure Newcastle George Washington and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed February 20, 2013

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jack3333168
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington
Holiday Inn Washington
Quality Hotel Boldon
Quality Hotel Boldon
#1 of 1 in West Boldon
Newcastle Marriott Hotel Gosforth Park
Newcastle Marriott Hotel Gosfort...
#33 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne

Been to Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa? Share your experiences!