All reviews one way system car park small hotel top floor breakfast included biscuits booked this hotel choice of cereals lovely hotel pleasant stay bed was very comfortable breakfast staff tea coffee short stay stayed nights one night stay would stay again
Reviewed December 28, 2017

The building is a lovely Georgian town house in a cul de sac.
Have your mobile phone ready - you have to phone to alert reception to gain entry.
Street parking outside the hotel is time limited - to find the car park put in Ada Street into SatNav - pass the street with the hotel in on your right, go ahead at roundabout, then turn right and right again - go across Ada Street into the narrow entry that is opposite you. (Very poorly explained to us, and took some time to find!)
Once in - directed to room which was fine - spacious, warm and clean. Shower room again a good size. No information in the room - had to ask about wifi code; found breakfast times on the wall opposite reception.
Breakfast was freshly cooked and generous, but there was no fresh fruit at all.
Price excellent via booking.com - maybe because it was the day before most people's Christmas parties so not a popular night, but worth watching if you are able to be flexible.
Says there is a restaurant but not offered and no visible menus so we walked out to MoMo mediterranean restaurant a few yards away to eat - good value simple italian food.

Room tip: Our room was first floor on the front - facing quiet street.
Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 26, 2017 via mobile

3rd visit to the William Fox, stayed in a different room each time, all rooms I stayed in have been very spacious, good breakfast, friendly staff,, 10min walk to metro station, The County pub has good food, 15min walk to South Shields centre, thanks for a lovely stay !

Date of stay: November 2017
Reviewed October 16, 2017 via mobile

The website looks like a really nice 'boutique' hotel... But it's not!! We had a deluxe twin room which was spacious enough but the word tatty springs to mind. The soft furnishings were terribly stained and soiled. The linen was ok but the pillows were appalling and the bed uncomfortable. Breakfast was decent and staff quite friendly but the place looks absolutely nothing like it does on the website. Needs a major overhaul!!

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed October 14, 2017

Stayed here overnight in Mid September prior to a cruise leaving from Port of Tyne North Shields. It was £65 B&B. for self and husband. Not bad these days and I suppose you get what you pay for. We had a large ground floor room with king sized comfortable bed. Carpet worn and dirty, a steam clean would have helped. Furniture worn, needed replacing. Bathroom o.k. but terrible noise when you flushed the loo, the whole place shook. As we are of mature years, we tend to be up to the loo quite a bit in the night. Pity the poor people in rooms nearby!
Breakfast was freshly cooked so at least hot but cheap ingredients, bacon etc. Again for £65 it was o.k.
We were greeted on arrival by a very friendly nice lady who seemed to do everything, reception, serving breakfast, cleaning rooms. Phew! We had booked by telephone and had arranged to leave the car there for 12 nights while on the cruise. The price quoted on the phone was £50. When we arrived the lady said no it was £50 a week and it would be £100 not £50. We complained bitterly about this because at no time had per week been mentioned. We would have parked at the port had we known this. She said we would have to pay up front and she would ask "him" when he came in. On leaving the next day, we asked what "he" had said. She said not much. So we had to go and leave it and said we wanted to see someone on our return. In the meantime I found a contact form on website and put our complaint in there. When we came back there was no reply to our e mail. We asked to speak to the manager. Oh no, we couldn't speak to him, he was far too busy. The lady on duty this time said she would phone him. I said I would like to speak to him on the phone but not allowed! She came back and said that he would refund £25. So we had to accept this. After more than a week no refund had happened so I had to email again. I had found out the owners name is Lee. This time he did finally reply and the refund has come through. How can you run a business like this, refusing to have anything to do with your customers who are paying you? I give up!

Room tip: Ground floor seemed quite spacious.
Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank LizNorthampton
Reviewed September 8, 2017

We booked this hotel as it appeared to be a stylish boutique hotel. Unfortunately it was dreadful. We have a number of problems with the booking. Things started fairly well, but it soon went south. The room was okay, and the bed and bedding was great. The shower was also great but the place simply wasn't clean, and gone are the days when I expect to feel that a hotel is grimy, but grimy it was.

On the first morning we woke to the smell of cooked breakfasts. This was before we even opened the door of our room. Not a nice smell of fresh bread, but that of cooking fat and grease. At that point Wife & Daughter said they would prefer to eat later. I ventured down, to be met by a loud television spouting adverts and the inane celebrity nonsense, that irritates more than it informs. Thankfully nobody was watching to and it was turned off. Breakfast was actually quite nice. A decent breakfast in a hotel is a genuine treat, one which as a family we have enjoyed many times. It wasn't to be in this hotel.

The same happened the following morning; TV blaring nonsense. No news just celebrity dribble and adverts. I needed to eat so I had some muesli outside on the smoking deck. On mentioning the TV, I was informed the guests like it. Well I'm sure some do. It would be nice to have a choice. My family chose to go to the sandwich bar on Westoe Road instead. That speaks volumes.

My original booking was for 3 nights, but on arrival, having driven for over 8 hours to get there, I clearly informed the management that we would only need 2 nights and my daughter would only be staying for 1. I know I told them clearly as having spent 25 years in the Army I understand clear communication. Unfortunately that didn't translate as far as the booking sheet, which I signed. So I was stuck when challenging the bill.

I had a really interesting conversation with the manager, who was sticking by his guns. I've never had a situation when a manager squared up to me like some macho clown in a pub. This followed the earlier saga I witnessed in the car park when he appeared to be berating some local workmen. Passive aggressive - magic.

Overpriced, under delivered, to be avoided.

Room tip: Choose a different hotel.
Date of stay: September 2017