“Not good. Apart from breakfast staff”

Sir William Fox Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in South Shields
Shropshire
“Not good. Apart from breakfast staff”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I had a single room. The furthest point away from the entrance. The en suite was tiny. Basin was the size of an egg cup. Couldn't even use the loo without bumping into the walls, the basin etc. TV didn't work. Wifi was touch and go. No bedside lamp or anywhere to put it. Tatty hand towel. The kettle was 3 times the size of the basin and had to fill it with the plastic cup from the 'bathroom'. Car park was a devil to get to. Tea/coffee facilities good although the cup and saucer were different colour/type. The room needed decorating badly. On the positive side. Bed linen was clean, fairly comfortable bed. The breakfast was very good. The staff at breakfast were pleasant and efficient.

Room Tip: Try another hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank BarryFitz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
clwyd
Reviewed June 8, 2013

A very pleasant venue set in a historic enclave within a not too historic area. This hotel looks great at the front but you park and enter at the back - with a three minute drive via one way side streets and a back ally! However do not let this put you off. Good rooms in size and decoration with baths and welcome tray plus soaps etc. Good selection of evening meals - for £10.

Breakfast is first class both in content and standard set within a pleasant dinning room. No lift or lounge but for the price - worth a visit. A well priced bar or nearby shop for those who like a drink.

For the fussy - the kitchen smells do rise up through the building and there is no lift or a/c but a great place to stay for a night or two.

Room Tip: Car Park at back - sat nav will take you to front - three min drive around back streets and access t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank RichardClwyd
dudley
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

We spent one night in the Sir William Fox and were not disappointed. On arrival at 11am our rooms were not ready as expected, but we intended to park the car and go meet friends. When asked if they could call us a taxi, we were promptly told "don't worry we will drop you" what can you say about service like that! Our room was ample size with a huge bed, tea, coffee & complimentary toiletries etc. The room had an iron and ironing board also & a large flat screen tv. The bathroom was a little dated but fully functional. Breakfast was great, help yourself to juice, cereal, yoghurt and croissants and served tea, coffee & toast along with a lovely freshly cooked full English, extra toast was no problem.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank dawn1967
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We have never been to South Shields before so this was a new adventure for us. Yes we would almost definitely come back. Our stay at the Sir William Fox Hotel has to be one of the nicest hotels we have stayed at. They offer that extra special personal touch that makes you feel that you are not just a guest. Our room which was 21 was spacious, comfortable and well decorated. Low lights made it very relaxing. The bed was like floating on a cloud and has made me decide we need a new bed. I loved the deep bath and had a good long soak.
I wish we had taken up the option of having breakfast in our room as we did find the dinning room a bit cramped. The breakfast was good value for the money - but sorry the sausages were not the best, But that is just me I am very fussy when it comes to sausages. The hotel does need some updating in the main areas but that falls into insignificance when you are in your own room. I do have one other little thing, our room had a small window as a attic room you could not see out. It was ok for me for 1 night but any longer I would have had to move I just felt hemmed in. Again that is down to my claustrophobia and nothing else
We would definitely go back and would recommend this hotel to friends and family, Many other hotels could learn alot from the staff at this hotel.

Room Tip: Room 21 is large, comfortable and has fantastic lighting. The bed is extremely comfortable and I had...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Sadly stayed for only one night, more would have been good. Bright and cheerful staff on arriving, small bar for a drink before dinner which offered a table d'hote menu which was delicious and had that home cooked appeal. The room was clean, albeit a tad small, but it was a single with ensuite facilities. Breakfast again cheerfully served by local girls was excellent. Private parking behind the hotel was a bit of a challenge to find, but safe and secure once located... and the Bill for Bed/Breakfast/3 course Evening Meal/3 Bottles of Peroni = £61. Cannot think of a better value small hotel - Brilliant. South Shields is a bit of an unpolished gem, but this hotel is located out of the centre in the best road in the town.

Room Tip: spend a bit extra if solo, and get a double room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank TonyandJoanna
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I was impressed by the cleanliness of this hotel and the helpfulness and friendliness of the staff throughout my stay. My breakfast was cooked individually after placing my order and was delicious. Everything about my stay was at least as good as hotels where I have stayed costing 3 times as much. It is obvious that the owners are making every effort to please their guests and they deserve to succeed.
I was in a single room which was a little bit airless but I slept well nevertheless.
The location is surprisingly secluded and peaceful - not what you'd expect to find in the nearby area. I hope to stay again when I am next in the area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank rneil_hodgson
North West England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I always try and stop when in the area, half the price of comparable hotels, just as good if not better than chain hotels. The only minor issue is that the restaurant has a limited menu, however there is an Italian, Chinese and Indian restaurant within 50 yards, plus 2 pubs one serving food.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Premier Inn North Shields (Ferry Terminal) Hotel
Clifton Guest House
Clifton Guest House
#1 of 25 in South Shields

Been to Sir William Fox Hotel? Share your experiences!