“An unknown gem”

22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“An unknown gem”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I have lived in the North East for 7 years and only went there today.

Had friends from London who wanted to see Hadrian's Wall and we had small children so couldn't go very long. When I looked on the web, all the good wall places were expensive and owned by English Heritage or National Trust, a real scandal. I found this on the web and our expectations were low. At least it was free.

It was really good on a number of levels. Our young children could roam freely and safely across a large expanse. They liked to walk on the old walls. Our history bluff loved the Roman stuff. My wife really enjoyed the mock up old villa which really bought the Romans to life. The fort had great views.

What was really good was that there was not many people there on a Bank Holiday Monday. I hate the attractions where everyone is over each other. This was a calm and pleasant oasis.

Highly recommended. Probably the best attraction I have been to for a long time because of the serenity.

5 Thank Hippiest_Hippo

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“All of this for Free!”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Left wondering what to do at the end of the 4th week of the holidays I spotted Gladiator Fighting at Arbeia. We've been to the museum before and were impressed at what was on offer compared to other Roman sites that you have to pay for. The reconstructed buildings and the tower really bring this site to life and our visit was made even better by the fact that there was a free event on too! There was also craft events on linked to the Gladiator Fighting which left us with something to take home. All in all it's well worth a visit and if you live locally the trip on the ferry is part of the adventure too!

2 Thank Maddy808
Nottingham
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Very interesting”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

This attraction was very interesting. It really brought the Romans to life and was free to visitors.

Canterbury, United Kingdom
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“great family visit - and free entry :-)”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I visited with my sons - aged 7 & 10 and spent a good few hours there today. We read all signs and information and poured over the artefacts in the museum. The reconstructed gate and buildings really helped to bring the site to life!

1 Thank helenmjeff
South Shields, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Amazed how super this is.”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I haven't been here since the 1980s and am amazed at how brilliant this is. They have a full size gateway and have reconstructed the Commanders House and have some barracks for the general soldiers. It is really great. I really recommend visiting here and Segadunum at Wallsend, there they have recreated a fully functioning Roman Bathouse (only fired up on special occasions),the two compliment each other nicely. The displays are informative and visitor friendly, the real remains are to be explored by all. Not terribly wheelchair friendly, but accessible to those who can walk ok. Activities and interest for young and old. Many exciting staged events on Bank holidays and school holidays. I am going to go back soon now I know more of planned activities. A real hidden treat. Super friendly staff, Lovely herb garden.

1 Thank Jane A