“Nice hotel let down by service and strange odours?”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Little Haven Hotel

Little Haven Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in South Shields
Newcastle UK
“Nice hotel let down by service and strange odours?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with my family at the weekend. Room was clean and tidy however there were a few things that let the hotel experience down . The safe was locked closed so we phoned reception and someone came to unlock it....sorted we thought. That was until one of us went in the bath....then realised there were no towels! I phoned reception...and ohhhh we will send someone straight up. I told her that it wasn't really good enough with the price we were paying for a room when Travelodge or premier inns get it right at half the price a night!? We waited... It was half an hour later when I decided to phone again as nobody had turned up...baring in mind my partner was now a "prune" in the bath....and ten minutes later the same member of staff who came to unlock the safe arrived with the towels. I asked her what was going on and she replied ' I told her (maid) this room needed towels and shes forgotten then. Oh I replied...thinking well everything's OK then! (sarcastically). She left. It appears the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing in the hotel.... 2 requests for an ice bucket and glasses to be brought to the room?

Rest of our stay was fine and enjoyable. Dunno what's going on in the bar but it stinks of sour milk ? A vile smell.. drains maybe?. I noticed the hotel has a four out of five star green rating displayed at reception which makes me wonder what let it down from the five star rating? Comments please Mr Manager?
I've noticed in previous responses to comments and feedback posted to your hotel you have frequently responded by stating the guests didn't report this the guests didn't report that etc so in this case you will see that both the towels and safe were reported so I'm interested in your feedback this time. Room 224 was the room we stayed in .

Don't get me wrong...nice hotel but small problems could lead to less bookings and what IS that smell at the bar? If anyone else who stays here smells it could you include it in your review please.... 3 residents commented on it while I was standing there...so I'm not going mad!!!!

Over to you Mr Manager!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
graham2009, General Manager at Little Haven Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
We would firstly like to thank the customer for bringing to our attention the problems they experienced during their stay.

The safe should be unlocked by the Housekeeper when the room is serviced and please accept our apologies that this task was not carried out and that towels were not left in the room.

We have investigated the matter fully and action has been taken.

I have spoken with the Deputy Manager who happened to be on duty in the afternoon when the guest rang down regarding the towels and safe. The Safe was unlocked promptly after reception was informed and the towels according to our records were also delivered within a short period of time and not 30 minutes as suggested. The towels however should have been in place and we are sorry for any delay in their arrival.

Our room rate is competative in the area and includes an extensive Hot and Cold Buffet Breakfast for two people and many other facilities and services a Travelodge does not provide. We have looked on the Internet locally and cannot find any deals from Travelodge which would equate to less than £40 per night for two people with Breakfast included.

We were aware of the odour in the lounge and had cleaned the carpet several times to remove the odour but to no avail. The guest was quite right in their diagnosis, a large jug of milk had been spilt in the offending area. We had ordered a new piece of carpet and underlay but due to the weekend we could not receive delivery and arrange fitting until the Monday. The carpet and underlay have been replaced and the lounge area is back to its sweet smelling best.

We would like to once again thank the guest for informing us of concerns realised during their stay and would hope to see them again in the future.

Graham Davidson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

I stopped at the hotel on the 28th till 30th of September 2013 and all I can say about it is that it is one of the best hotels I have ever stopped in it was that good I stopped an extra night all the staff are brillent and the food was out of this world the room was exclent I would give it a rateing of ten out of ten and carnt wait to stop there again

• Stayed September 2013
Bradford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

Have stayed at this hotel 3 times before and always feel very welcome here. Stayed at the hotel on the Great North Run weekend hotel was very busy, all the staff were fantastic and could not do enough for my family and our 2 friends. We ate at the hotel on the Saturday evening and our friend requested a starter which was not on the menu but the request was dealt with. The manager Michael Ryan was great made our friends really welcome they have never stayed at the hotel before but they will definitely stay there again. I cannot wait to go there again, look forward to seeing them all again next year September 6th-7th for the Great North run again. Once again thank you all for a fantastic stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
North Scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

This hotel has a nice location but as another reviewer said it is dated and the staff don't seem to have a clue. We stayed here om two occasions a week apart and booked a "sea view" for each stay. On the first occasion they gave us a rook that uad very little sea view and mainly a view of the dining room, so all you could see or hear were dimers in the dining room. We complained about this amd got a better room. When changing rooms they told us that we would get another different room next time, further away from the dinig room. However we have come back this week to find that they have given us the room by the dining room again, and that the room we were promised has been given to someone else. So, if stayimg at this hotel do not book a sea view as you will probably not get it. Also the rooms have cheap, scented plugs in them which I am sure are masking somethimg more nasty.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
graham2009, Manager at Little Haven Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
We are sorry for any inconvenience to the guest when booking in on the two dates they stayed.
The guest as they have said did not like the room they were allocated and after informing us we moved them to a room with a better view. Due to the complaint we did not charge for the sea view.

Unfortunately the room which was requested for the second stay was occupied due to a guest extending their stay. We are sorry for this and admit it was an error on our part. The guest did not mention in the review that we upgraded them to a Junior suite on the first floor with extensive views and at no extra charge.

In summary, we must apologise regarding the room allocation. However, on both stays the guest was moved to a better room and not charged for the Sea view on the first stay.

York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

I am from South Shields and have never stayed here before. There are some positives though I will never return. The view is fantastic and without it this hotel would have nothing to offer. The staff were friendly enough but the place clearly has no professional management. The room was a good size with a great view but was VERY dated. It reminded me of an inpatient health facility! It was clean enough though but the same can't be said for the Boardwalk Cafe'. It was like stepping into a time warp with tacky decor, nasty artificial flowers and a feeling of a holiday camp from the 1970s. Even worse - it was dirty - layers of dust and grime on a shelf just behind our seat, the floor hadn't been cleaned in a while and the whole place was untidy The crockery and cutlery were not clean either! One morning it was clear that the table hadn't been cleaned from the night before - there was a piece of dried up broccoli on the table!

Another thing that really upset me was the fact that they had an electric lead (for the toaster) plugged into an extension lead which went right across and therefore blocked A FIRE EXIT! Totally disgraceful.

Overall, this place has so much potential - it really could be a great place to stay. As it is, it's taking advantage of more mature people who clearly have low expectations. I feel so disappointed that a hotel in my home town thinks these standards are acceptable. Next time I'll be staying at one of the B&Bs on Ocean Road. Shame on whoever owns this place.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bigted21
graham2009, Manager at Little Haven Hotel, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
It is unfortunate that the guest did not express any of their views during the stay. We would have been glad to discuss the Mangement structure and explain the background of the Owner and the Management team had they contacted us.

We would ask with all due respect that the previous 20 reviews are read which give many reasons why The Little Haven Hotel has a lot more to offer than the views.

Personal taste is preferential and we are sorry that the decor was not to the guests liking. We have recently added new bar furniture which is contemporary and several pictures to the Boardwalk Cafe and are constantly updating the appearance of the room.

The Boardwalk Cafe floors are cleaned three times daily and steam cleaned once a week as the footfall makes this essential to the appearance. I have checked our cleaning records and the floor cleaning was completed during the guests visit. We are sorry that the cleaning was not to the guests standards. The guests comments have been investigated and we have increased the frequency of the cleaning and put into place several more quality control checks
to ensure we improve our already high standards of cleanliness.

In closing we would welcome contact from the customer to discuss his comments in further detail.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

My family and I stayed at Little Haven in July for a weekend. Location is great - 30 second walk, if that, to the beach. Rooms were clean with good facilities.
My sister is a wheelchair user. It can sometimes feel as though we are inconveniencing staff at other hotels simply by being there but staff at Little Haven went out of their way to make my sister feel welcome and comfortable, and she thoroughly enjoyed the stay. The staff team leader in particular was very helpful in accomodating all my sister's needs.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

first time stay here at the little haven for me and the wife, stayed in hotels in south shields but this has been the best reception staff were vey helpful and brill buffet breakfast was very good could not find any faults at all staff in the restaurant could not do enough for you had lunch one day I had the chicken curry that was to die for my wife had the fish and chips which was just as good.our room was very clean and large and a brill view overlooking the river we watched the cruise ships going up and down the tyne definitely be back when in south shields.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the river.