“No customer care at all”
Review of Little Haven Hotel

Little Haven Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in South Shields
newcastle
“No customer care at all”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Went for coffee served tea when asked for it to be changed no apology then three people only biscuits for two told cappuchino does not come with biscuits as not enough profit offered to buy biscuits the waitress did not return does this sounds good sorry they are not professional at all

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 7, 2013

M, S and I have just returned from a 3 night stay at this hotel. 1-3 March 2013. First the not so good bits, on arrival we were given our keycards for our2 rooms.(NO offer of help with luggage or directions to our room,we are both retired).On arriving at our room we found housekeeping had not finished the room, clean bedding in room but bed not made etc., Rang Reception who said they would get it sorted, so decided to unpack, after about 1/2 hour lady came to room and said it would not be finisned until 16.00hrs. Would we like to change rooms. Said no as we had unpacked, so went for walk and on return room was done. Nice large room, but did we need the folding bed stuck up in the corner,when there was only 2 of us? We had a few other housekeeping issues, during our stay. Just over the complimentary tea/coffee etc was a huge cobweb hanging down from the ceiling. It just about touched my head and I'm not 6 foot. Didn't report it, thought we would see if it got removed, but no, still there when we left on Monday. During our stay we also had a dirty soup spoon, and a very dirty coffee/tea cup which we asked to be changed. Also we only had one hand towel in the bathroom, we asked for another which arrived later in the evening,but we never had two hand towels any other nights. We stay in a lot of hotels each year, and have NEVER had to share hand towels. Yes OK the good points are coming up. The hotel is situated in a wonderful position right on the South Shields beach, no road to cross, just walk out of the hotel and onto the sand. The beds are very comfortable and the bedrooms and bathrooms quite spacious, ours had wonderful views of the River Tyne,beach and harbour. The dining experience is great, with a good selection of food to cover most dietary needs. :Portions are generous and well presented. The staff are all friendly and helpful. Breakfasts again offer a good range of food. Just another couple of complaints. The corridor outside room 216 smelled very much of cigarette smoke, late in the afternoon/evenings. (We thought this had been banned in public places) Also the heating system in the bedroom leaves a lot to be desired.It is operated by inserting your door keycard in a slot when you enter your room, this switches on the rooms electricity, which is ok except the only form of heating in the bedroom is from a (Small) convector wall heater,which only starts working when you put your keycard in the slot.Therefore it is quite along time before your room is anything like warm, when you go out you need to take you keycard with you, which cuts the power, so when you come back in later on you have to heat the room again.It may be ok in the summer but in the winter it is a really awful system.If you suffer from the cold, don't come to Little Haven in the winter.

Room Tip: For the sake of £3.00 per night,ask for aroom with sea/river views. We booked an Executive room as i...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed March 7, 2013

This little hotel is just perfect!
I am looking out my bedroom window at where the Tyne joins the North Sea, the waves lapping the shore. I came here first time a few weeks ago on a business trip and was really pleased with the warm friendly reception clerk and then the amazing food. Top quality and served b such friendly people. I have come back and sometimes you get dissappointed with a second visit as the expectation is never met - wrong here, I was greeted as a regular and then dinner... the Chef is superb. Breakfasts are a good buffet but not quite the same standard as the dinner.
The Rooms are HUGE for the money and I cannot fault them.

This place is a real find and I wil be back every time I come this way.

Room Tip: The rooms looking over the tyne are SUPERB!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Bournemouth
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We stayed here for one night for a wedding celebration taking two rooms, one double and one triple. The rooms are clean and tidy and reasonably well appointed with all the usual features including internet connection (free). The hotel itself is in a great location and we had lovely views across the mouth of the Tyne and could watch the ships and boats coming and going. We didn't eat in the restaurant in the evening as it was a wedding party with a buffet, which was good. There is a medium sized bar which stayed open late to residents. Breakfast the next morning was buffet style with a good choice and was nice enough. We have stayed here before for a similar event and would do so again as regular guests.

Room Tip: Get one with a view over the river for a small additional charge. They ere also giving a free bottle...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
South Shields, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 5, 2013

me and my partener stayed at the little haven a year gone aug .i have to say the room was very clean and so cozy,breakfast was very nice, but the food we had at the wedding was not all that BUT ,i do think it has so inproved, we go most sundays for lunch, and one a week for soup nd sandwich its always lovely ;warm friendly .staff nice to ,we love to sit in the conservatory and watch the world go by. we live in south shields ;we love it .

Room Tip: room facing the river
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank patricia r
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

I have visited the Little haven on several occasions and had not been impressed, in fact I seriously doubted I would ever visit again the food and service had been so bad, however, a friend recommended I go again after having enjoyed his visit. I decided to give it one more try and I am pleased I did.

The conservatory has a wonderful view and should be the go to place in South Shields, it's not but it is a vast improvement over my last visit, the lunchtime choice was good, food was good staff were very friendly and the view over the harbour is second to none. I still think there is room for improvement, linen on the tables together with cutlery would be a good place to start, at the moment cutlery is Collected from a bin next to the till after giving the till operator your food order. A waiter taking orders would be a great improvement, just about every other restaurant in the town has white linen tablecloths and waiter service. This hotel should really be the best place in the town, it's not there yet but it has improved and I will probably return

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Business and the location of the hotel had an instant impact. Bedroom was more than adequate and breakfast choice very good. I ate in for one evening and the food and wine selection was above the norm and the staff were really attentive.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Athol House
Athol House
#4 of 5 in South Shields
Premier Inn North Shields (Ferry Terminal) Hotel

Been to Little Haven Hotel? Share your experiences!