“A pleasant evening at the Little Haven, one of many”
Review of Little Haven Hotel

Little Haven Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in South Shields
Jarrow
“A pleasant evening at the Little Haven, one of many”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

On Saturday evening 27th October 2012 we decided to go to the Little haven for our evening meal. We had not booked and arrived at around 7pm. As usual we were made welcome and escorted to our table. We had a very enjoyable meal, good service in pleasant surroundings.
We visit the Little Haven on a regular basis and the service in consitant.
The hotel was very busy with two wedding receptions being attended to but the staff did not neglect any other customers. Wel done.
Michael the restaurant supervisor does an excellent job always very pleasant and helpful
This is the place to go whether it is for a coffee or a meal or a stay over. Well, done everyone.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
London
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I have been coming up to Newcastle now for over 30 years staying at the best hotels for one or two nights.

This one is by far my favourite, I always wish that I could stay longer.

The hotel right next to the beach, the views are stunning ! beathtaking with plenty of wide open space outside,how I envy the locals jogging along the beach.

There is a well made walk way for walkers and wheelchairs just perfect for walking off your delicious buffet style full English breakfast.

I did stayed in one of the beautiful Penthouse suites, which is fabulous if your getting married at the hotel or for a special occasion, but as this time it was just for a short stay, I went for a smaller room.

I stayed with my husband on Sunday 21st of October 2012 in room 231...A lovely unusual shaped room with wide widows to the left showing the beautiful sea views, the right windows seeing a part of the car park and the stunning art sculptures, there is also a white open style Wedding Pavilion at the front on the green which I can see from this room, it must be used for Wedding photo’s and party’s.

The bed was very comfortable, two spare pillows in the wardrobe, a nice settee, desk draws dressing table with lamp and wall mirror.
TV, tea and coffee tray with all you need, a full length mirror on the door, small safe, iron, hair dryer, nice bathroom, all very clean.

Free use of the internet which was a very pleasant surprize.
The only thing we missed in this room is a shaving mirror, not just for my husband, but for me to put my makeup on.

The large glass conservatory is where we enjoyed breakfast, looking out to the sea.
You can have fresh fruits, yogurts, cereal, croissants, juices, from one side, hams meats, and cheeses from another.

I had one large sausage two large pieces of bacon, lots of tomatoes some mushrooms and delicious creamy scrambled eggs.
The best scrambled eggs I have tasted, as for the taste bacon yummy.
You could also have beans, black pudding, hash browns toast bread etc.

I had the coffee, it was excellent, you could have all types of teas, green tea,and. hot chocolate.

If you miss breakfast you can order something in the front lounge.
It is a very friendly hotel, every member of staff that I spoke to or just passed was so lovely and will go out of their way to help you if needed.

I love to see staff happy in their work, giving smiles freely, they are truly blessed with great staff and management team...

As this is not a large hotel, I would book up as soon as possible so not to be disappointed...
If the staff do read this, I would like to say a big "THANK YOU"

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We visited this hotel after spending a night at a friend’s wedding. We live in South Shields, so this was right on our doorstep.

Firstly let's start with the good points;

South Shields is a very nice coastal town in the North East and right on the doorstep of Newcastle and Northumberland and this hotel is situated on the mouth of the river tyne and rooms with sea views are simply stunning. As a South Shields resident this hotel has by far the best location in the town and is possibly the best hotel that we have. However we do have a plethora of B&B's and some of these may offer a better overall deal but I must say I have not stayed in any of these. The breakfast was top quality and you have a large selection of hot and cold foods to choose from certainly 4 stars for this and 5 stars for location.

Now for the bad points;

We paid £125 for a suite on another travel site as I know that the hotel has two suites with balconies on the top floor. However as we had been to a wedding we checked in to our room #233 at 11pm on the 20th of October and I was disappointed that the room we were allocated was in fact a Junior Suite which was nothing like a suite and more like a family room, with a dirty looking sofa bed in the corner. The room was very much like a Premier Inn room or Ibis standard so this was a major disappointment. The bed was very hard and uncomfortable and much poorer than the standard of an Ibis or Premier inn, so that is certainly unacceptable for a £125 room. We were only given one towel and the toiletries in the bathroom were little sachets and did not impress. However despite the uncomfortable bed and disappointment at the room the major downside was the noise levels in the room. I could not get to sleep until 3am after the elephants upstairs had decided to stop stamping on my ceiling and running around their room, I nearly phoned reception on a number of occasions and I was ready to ram the ironing board on the roof, and it took a lot of restraint to not knock on the door and give them what for. I ended up so wound up, it spoiled my whole stay. The hotel build quality in my not so professional opinion is appalling as the walls and ceilings were wafer thin and it is for this reason I have given the overall rating as 1. I will be interested to see if anyone at the hotel contacts me following on from this review as I have given the room number and the date of my stay.

Room Tip: Select the cheapest rooms as the suites and junior suites are not worth paying for.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Mark B
graham2009, Manager at Little Haven Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Unfortunately we cannot police the behaviour of all our guests but will act on information given and respond accordingly. If we had been informed we would have approached the guests causing the disruption and resolved the matter. We have two Night Porters on duty and it is a great shame that the guest did not contact them.

The guest booked a Junior Suite with Expedia and they were allocated the room accordingly. It is unfortunate that the guest did not notice the difference in price between the Junior Suite and the Penthouse suite which they have described in their review. We have three Penthouse Suites on our top floor which have balconies on both sides with a seperate Lounge, Bedroom and Bathroom area. The guest quite rightly points out that the room they reserved and were allocated appeared to be a Family room, these rooms are more spacious with a double bed and double sofa bed and room for a fold down bed if required. We have checked the mattress and could not find a fault, springs all in place and appeared to be in good order.

We are sorry that the guest did not enjoy their experience at the Liittle Haven Hotel but feel that this was due to events which were beyond our control and a communication breakdown.

Graham Davidson

General Manager.
Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

We had our wedding here on the 8th sep and i can truly say it was the best day of my life, the staff couldnt do enough for us they were brilliant so would like to say a massive thank you on behalf of me & my husband to all the people that helped make our day amazing! Also the food was gorgeous (wedding meal, buffett & breakfast) and all my guests have said how much they enjoyed the food, the setting is perfect for wedding pics too right on the beach. Also the 3 function rooms we uses looked stunning. We booked the hadrian penthouse room which is the most modern out the 3 and definatly the best! Just wish we were allowed to stay longer in our room cos it was amazing! The whole day just went so smoothly and we didnt have to wory about a thing, also we were the only wedding there so it just made us feel that extra special, would definatly recomend the hotel to anyone. Drink was really resonable for a hotel too, cant say enough about this hotel! Just total Heaven!!!!

• Stayed September 2012
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I go to Little Haven for Sunday lunch a lot, it is great, value for money and a fantastic setting to have a party. Service is great and the staff very pleasant. The views and busy river are fantastic to watch, sitting watching all the little and Big boats zooming around is a very nice way to while away a few hours. Food is good too

Stayed September 2012
1 Thank cathdavid
Birtley, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I went regularly to the restaurant until 3 years ago. When revisited I was disappointed as the menu was not very interesting even though there was a decent choice. Service, once I attracted the attention of a waiter, was quick and efficient. My visit was on a Saturday lunchtime and there were mostly children and elderly diners. The prices are good, but don't go if you are hungry. Also, altough level, its too congested for wheelchair users or disabled. One good point, plenty of car parking.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank kikelmool
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Great location, peaceful and a room with a sea view. Clean and spacious although the bathroom was a little tired. Staff all friendly and fairly helpful. We aksed for a toothbrush and information about local galleries - but didn't get a response to either.

The hotel is well priced.

Room Tip: Ask for a seaview...we paid a small amount extra but was worthwhile.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Premier Inn North Shields (Ferry Terminal) Hotel
Athol House
Athol House
#4 of 5 in South Shields

Been to Little Haven Hotel? Share your experiences!