“Exceptional stay, lovely hotel, staff very Accomodating, restaurant food is delicious.”

Best Western The Sea Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in South Shields
England
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed at the Best Western hotel on 17 august 2013.

Hotel checking in was very efficient, the interior of the hotel has kept the traditional old feel to it but still very well cleaned and maintained in my opinion not tired looking at all.

The room 116 overlooked the park pond which was nice and the room was spotless.

As the weather was bad it rained most of the Saturday we were there so we ate in the restaurant as we didnt book they fitted us in a lovely corner table out of the way of the busy area which was very intimate.

Food was fantastic and we used a 25% off voucher off voucher on the total bill from voucher cloud again without any problems.

Breakfast was also plentiful and filling and had the usual cereals, muffins, etc.

As I also have a privilege card for best western the staff also had no problem with me checking out later at 12pm instead of 11am, also let us park our car at the hotel after checking out so we could make the most of the sun we had on Sunday.

cannot fault the place at all and would just like to thank everyone for a lovely stay and not to be too caught up on some peoples comments.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Durham
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Stayed 2 nights. Room 2nd floor, offered help with case but we we fine to carry cases ourselves. Room look good, large and clean, bathroom dated but not a problem . Quickly unpacked and left. Returned at night to a very hot room, removed the quilt from a very squeaky bed, ensured radiators were off and windows open, fan on full blast and yet still it continued to get hotter! Spent the first few hours of the night looking out of the window unable to sleep and ill because of the excessive heat. When I put hand on wooden fixed headboard it was obvious heat was coming from behind this, hot water pipes I'd guess, which also were boxed in around most of the room and slightly less hot. Pushed the bed over to the bathroom which was slightly cooler but still too hot to sleep but at least I felt less ill there. Had a cold bath and went to receptionist to complain about heat, she was very helpful and could move us straight after breakfast. She agreed hot water pipes were a problem and would periodically give out heat. After changing rooms she informed other staff about the heat from behind headboard but I got the impression they did not believe me as I was told it was impossible as that was an outside wall! I suggested they go and feel the headboard at 4am! Next room was fine and more importantly cool! I would have expected a full refund of this night as I hadn't slept at all, however nothing was offered.
Best Western also guarantee, "If you do find a better rate on ANY other website for ANY Best Western hotel in England, Scotland or Wales, we will not only honour it, but we will also knock off a further 10%! How’s that for a guarantee!" I did indeed find a cheaper price which they agreed to match but refused to knock a further 10% off - despite the cheaper price not being available online or given by central reservations when asked for price.... puzzling to say the least, they said by matching it they were offering rooms at the same rate so I hadn't found a cheaper rate! Hopefully they will use this 10% they should have refunded to invest in air-con?

On a positive note the majority of staff are great, polite and helpful. Breakfast excellent. Great location, loved the view. Didn't hear any noise at all 2nd night.

Room Tip: Avoid 206 unless you want a heated headboard!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Kirkham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stayed here as our friends were having a wedding party here. we couldn't fault the service or the staff. Every member of staff we met was very friendly. The room was lovely, had everything we needed & spacious. We went to a nearby pub for some food & couldn't eat there, we retired to the hotel to ask if they could recommend anywhere as the hotel stopped at 2.00pm and it was now 3.00pm. The very nice lady on reception spoke to the kitchen & they were able to do us some sandwiches & chips, which is all we wanted, they were delicious and cheaper than the pub would have been too.
The lodge for the wedding party was lovely too, again staff very nice, the buffet was lovely too.

Would definitely stay here again and would highly recommend for a stay if in South Shields.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Newcastle-upon-Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed for one night when I was the bridesmaid at my cousins wedding. We were the first people to stay in the new done out annex rooms & they were gorgeous. For the price you pay you can't really ask for more. However I paid the same as some other people who stayed upstairs & they had a lovely view of the marina park, whereas our window just looked out into the carpark so if there are other rooms available I'd ask to swap (if you're bothered about the view). A couple of things didn't quite go to plan, like the food came at the wrong time on the evening, but as soon as I spoke to someone they sorted it out straight away. They were constantly happy to help and the staff (particularly the 2 women who were serving that night & the next morning). The food was delicious too, especially on the night-time. On the night-time I was charged different prices by different staff for the same drink, so I'm not sure how much my drink was supposed to be. I just went when
The only reason I'm not giving 5 stars is because the day before, the bride had been told that she could get into the room & set up, they said you can get in after 12, then after 12 it was after 5, then after 5 it was after 9 then after 9 it was after 12, in the end the staff did it themselves the next morning. This would have been fine if they'd just said that in the first place & hadn't kept fobbing her off & getting her all stressed out. This seemed to stem from the receptionist who didn't seem to care in the slightly quite frankly.
In the end everything was perfect & we had a great time, but the organisation seemed a little bit haywire.
I would like to say thankyou though, for making my cousins wedding a beautiful, happy day!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the marina park. it's such a lovely view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Had to sleep in a sweaty, smelly small room with paper thin walls so didnt sleep at all. Had to wait ten minutes for the receptionist to appear. Ordered wine and asked for it chilled. I got the bucket without ice in it. The breakfasts are disgraceful everything is and tastes cheap plus I noticed an item out of date. I left the whole plate of food as didn't want to risk my health. £65 is far too much to charge for this, I will be writing to head office to complain also.

2 Thank Leethecritic
TheSeaHotel, General Manager at Best Western The Sea Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Firstly I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay, I feel it only right to you and other Tripadvisor users to answer your points. I could not identify any unpleasant odour in your room and on questioning staff and management no reports were made by you on arrival or departure. We offer double rooms and premier doubles which offer more space, all comply to the 3 star standard awarded.
I reviewed the CCTV to try to find the reason for the delay at reception, however it timed that you were seen within 2 minutes of arriving at reception. The receptionist then attended immediately to your request by collecting the wine and glasses. The wine was pre chilled from the wine fridge then placed into a wine cooler. We use both ice buckets and wine coolers, the coolers work a little like a thermos flask to keep the cold in, they do not need ice. Most guests prefer them as an easy way to keep wine cool, I am sorry it was not to your liking.
I assure you we would only buy quality and where ever possible local food. We maintain high standards of food hygiene for which we have been awarded a 5 star rating.
No complaints to date (20 August) received at central office. Interesting choice of user name: Leethecritic. We welcome all views, so thanks for taking the time to make your first review.
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I booked to stay at The Sea as we were attending a wedding reception at Marsden Grotto one Saturday. The sea hotel has quite high ratings on trip advisor so we quickly booked. However, I don't know who has been posting on here as this hotel is terrible! I don't usually post bad reviews but this is the worst place we have ever stayed. The hotel is right opposite a fun fair which when we arrived was playing loud music (which we could hear In our room as our room looked onto it) the fair completely blocked the view of the coast! The rooms are small and stuffy, our room smelt of urine on arrival. The beds are small and hard there was only just enough room to squeeze down the side of the bed to get out. There was rubbish on the ledge outside the window, there was no soft close on the corridor door so it banged all night, the whole hotel is outdated! If you like the colour brown then this is the hotel for you. My boyfriend went to reception to get some wine glasses and could hear a person having a number 2 in the toilet next to reception and the receptionist was sat eating in a cupboard rather than manning the desk. Finally, the breakfast is shocking, continental is an error the croissants were in packets and out of date and the cooked breakfast arrived in minutes piping hot so had obviously and tasted like it had been microwaved. Best Westerns statement is that they are 'Hotels with personality' . This hotel definitely does not have any personality it needs a complete revamp to bring it into the 21st century. We couldn't wait to check out and had fish and chips for brekkie instead at the fish shop across the road!!

2 Thank Sal265
Firstly I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay, I feel it only right to you and other Tripadvisor users to answer your points. It is the first time I have had to try to reply to a comment about a noise from a toilet, however I will try, the toilet provided for disabled customers is designed as you would expect with easy access so does not have a lobby as dictated by planning, this has never been seen as a problem before, more a necessity for guests with a need for this facility. We are proud to say we have been awarded a 2013 Tripadvisor award, from guest comments we have received, all reviewers are detailed to the left of their review. I note you state that you don’t usually post bad reviews, however I read that you have only posted two reviews both which are bad. We are close to the fun fair, beach, parks and soon to open swimming pool and leisure facilities, it is the height of the summer school holidays the sun is shining with the hottest summer for years, people are out enjoying our beautiful coast, outside noise through the day is inevitable. The hotel has rooms on all sides of the building, offering ground, first and second floor rooms with views of the sea or parks. The room you occupied is on the second floor, I cannot understand your comment about the fair completely blocking the view as the fun fair buildings are predominantly single story. We have a robust cleaning schedule for the hotel and guest rooms, with equipment on hand to clean just about any task. I could not identify any unpleasant odour in your room and on questioning staff and management no reports were made by you on arrival or departure. I have had the ledge outside the room swept. With reference to your room the bed is a standard double size, we do offer king size beds in some rooms. It has been decorated with one wall in a brown and cream wallpaper and the other walls painted with a colour called hessian, other rooms have feature colours in red, blue, green, burgundy and yellow. Our reception like most hotel receptions has a front and back office, ours is split with a large screen. The back office has office equipment, stationery and the like. The receptionists do not eat in cupboards; they may have a tray of tea behind the screen but will be keeping a close eye on the desk. We have been awarded 5 stars for food hygiene. I was pleased to read that the breakfast was piping hot, just as I would expect. Most breakfast items are batch cooked and hot held in a bain marie at a minimum of 63˚ this ensures food safety and allows prompt service to guests. I am sorry to say that your conclusion that prompt service equals microwave on this occasion is incorrect.

Alan Watson
Wednesbury, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Booked through lastminute.com at a very good price - £115 for two people in a double room for two nights including breakfast - excellent value for money.
The room was a bit smaller than we are used to, but as we didn't spend much time there it wasn't a big problem. The bathroom was a bit tired looking and I couldn't get to grips with the shower unit fed from the taps but that may have been me having a senior moment!
The location is very good, right next to the park and very close to the beach, it is also right next to the funfair, but even with the windows open due to the hot weather it didn't affect us at all.
Also, ipod dock supplied in the room, excellent for iphone user like myself!!
A word of warning; the hotel doesn't have a lift, it has two floors so you might want to bear that in mind when booking.
Also, it is a 'dog friendly' hotel, so there are a few dogs around but it didn't bother us at all.
The staff were excellent, very friendly and helpful - we couldn't have asked for more.
The food was also very good, big variety of dishes in the restaurant or in the bar, including a-la-carte, and all at reasonable prices.
The breakfast was also top quality.
All in all I would give it 4.5 stars if I could, the only very slight downside was the room we were in but the value was excellent and I would definitely come back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
#9 of 10 in Whitley Bay
Clifton Guest House
Clifton Guest House
#1 of 25 in South Shields

Been to Best Western The Sea Hotel? Share your experiences!