“Simply the best”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Contemporary indian cuisine
Reviewed September 1, 2013

South Shields has so many curry restaurants its often hard to choose. My husband and I happened upon the Spice Garden one Sunday afternoon when we were both starving and didn't fancy the traditional Sunday lunch. After enjoying what had to be the best curry ever, this little restaurant is now a firm favourite . The restaurant itself is quite small inside so I would recommend booking at popular times. it is immaculately clean and very well set out. The service is second to none with the most friendly waiters. The food is presented beautifully and tastes fantastic. The prices are reasonable and there are special price set menus every day of the week. What more can I say? This restaurant is an absolute gem.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We visited Spice Garden for the first time on Sunday and took our 6 year old for her first air down curry.
Well I have to say we were
certainly not disappointed in the slightest.
The food, service and price were excellent and the fact that there were other families in with their children have the impression that its a very child friendly restaurant.
What made it even better was the effort the staff made with us and especially our daughter.
Definitely the best sit down curry I've had in a long long time and we will definitely return.
Thankyou Spice Garden!!!

Reviewed August 23, 2013

We visited last night, 22 August 2013 and after having a great experience a few months ago. To be honest I wondered how much better it could get if at all. And it just has! From the moment we stepped through the door the service was exemplary. Professional, attentive and personal it was a pleasure to see standards like this in a restaurant outside the Michelin arena.

The food we ordered for starters were the Mixed appetizers, chicken tikka and .............. They were all excellent and special mention must be made of the mixed starter which almost constitued a main meal, and all for a remarkably cheap price of 3.80.

Mains were Chilli chicken, kid's plain chicken curry and Chicken Naga. The flavour of the garlic and chillies in the Naga was incredible and a new and welcome taste to me. Could not fault it in any way. The children's plain curry was also very good and a good size portion. The Chilli chicken was full of flavour, cooked perfectly and another new taste for us.

Even when as busy as possible the staff here are relentlessly good, always ensuring things are to your expectation and drinks topped up.

Little things we observed such as a member of staff opening the door for leaving customers without fail, handshakes and a pleasant farewell are often overlooked in most restaurants and it was brilliant to see it carried out for every customer.

All up it was 44.00 for 3 starters, 3 mains, rice, Sag bhaji side dish, soft drinks, 2 pts Cobra. Excellent value.

Fantastic experience and well done to the owners and management and staff. Keep up the great work!

Reviewed August 19, 2013

I've had takeaway from here previously when up visiting family but this was the first time I've ever sat in.

The restaurant itself was REALLY busy which is obviously a reflection of the food and the service. We were served quickly I had the Prawn Puree followed by the Tikka Balti. Really tasty food, quickly served and was offered my leftovers to take away as well. Also a glass of wine for just a couple of quid is always a bonus! :)

Very impressed and will certainly return when we are next in the area.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

We were looking for an indian restaurant to take our fussy 8 year old daughter to try and encourage her to be a little more adventurous with her food and selected Spice Garden havign read the reviews on here.

Its been a while since we ate out for an Indian meal and I have to say we were very impressed. For a Happy Hour special (6.95 for 3 courses + 70p extra if you want Chicken Breast) the portions, and just as importantly the presentation, were fantastic.

The starters were beautifully presented and there was plenty to choose from. The staff were very friendly and even asked if we wanted to wait between courses.

There is a kids menu but we just ordered a selection of things from the specials menu for the whole family to try. Despite ordering a Korma to suit our daughter's need, she was drawn to our other dishes, which were deliberately mild yet flavoursome.

It was early evening when we visited but Spice Garden already had several tables occupied (compared to the Fancy restaurant a couple of doors down which was deserted).

Next time we are in the mood for an Indian meal we will be heading straight here. And now our daughter has a taste for it I'm sure we won't be waiting too long. She's alerady asking for Onion Bhajis so we may need to drop in soon.