“I've been converted!”
Review of Smiths Chippy

Smiths Chippy
Ranked #26 of 200 Restaurants in South Shields
Description: Smiths Chippy is a traditional award winning Fish and Chip takeaway. established in 1981 by William Smith Snr quickly became one of the towns best loved fish and chip destinations. Today we still live by William Smiths ethos of making our food affordable for everyone while ensuring our quality levels remain at the highest levels. this has been recently reflected in our most recent awards, we have been very proud to receive a place on the top 50 fish and chip takeaways for the last 2 years (3 in the last 5 years) couple this with perfect portion awards and we believe we offer a great product at a great price.
North East UK
“I've been converted!”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

For years I used to go to the Red Hut, next door. But since the new owners took over, it's went downhill (to the point of running out of fish). So I thought I'd give Smith's a try... So glad I did! First point is the cleanliness - Absolutely immaculately clean! Secondly, the staff seem genuine and efficient. Lastly, and most importantly, the food. I ordered 2 cod & chips and a carton of curry. The fish was lovely, pure white and firm. The batter was nice and crispy, just the way it should be! The chips had a nice taste, not greasey at all, although I found them a bit too chunky - but that's all down to preference I suppose. The curry was also nice. So all-in-all a great fish and chip shop. I'll certainly be back. Oh and the loyalty card is a good idea too. Thanks

• Visited November 2012

South Shields, United Kingdom
“Always great food”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Been going here for last six months... It's always great food, great service and friendly staff. Highly reccomended. Great value too.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank Lalon A
South Shields, United Kingdom
“NO SHARKS HERE!”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

A clean well run establishment.
Your fish and chips are cooked to order thus making them nice and fresh.
They also run a loyalty card scheme.
Friendly staff and a pleasant atmosphere make this chippy a must to visit when in Ocean Road, South Shields.

Visited September 2012
william s, Manager at Smiths Chippy, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
thanks for your review. glad you enjoyed your food
thanks
Durham City
“Best in the area!”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Stopped for Fish n Chips after doing the Great North Run. Ocean Road was heaving and we'd really wanted to sit down for something to eat but didn't want to queue. So we came to Smiths and there was bit less of a queue. We had to wait a few minutes for more fish to be fried but that meant that a couple of chairs were free and we could rest our very weary legs.

Great fish - tasty batter and fantastic chips. Best in the area.

• Visited September 2012
thanks for your comments. glad you enjoyed your food after your long run.
hopefully see you same time next year!!
regards
GEORDIELAND
“love the chunky chips”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

everyone raves about a certain other chippy (the one that refused me entry with a buggy) but I have always prefered Smiths , I recently took my grandson ( a mcdonalds fanatic) and he could not believe the chips are these real chips grandad (oh yes son, oh yes)

Visited August 2012
thanks for your comments hope your grandson is a smiths convert now
regards