“Lovely restaurant, excellent service, average food”

Da Vinci's Italian Restaurant
Ranked #23 of 195 Restaurants in South Shields
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
South Shields, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely restaurant, excellent service, average food”
Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

Went here with my partner on a quiet night at the start of Jan. Only us to in the restaurant (it was very early though). I've been here before an gave it 5 stars for everything, but that was before I'd tried the other Italians on Ocean Road and without comparing it to anywhere else.

The restaurant itself is well decorated, and the staff are flawless. To keep the review short and sweet, areas that let it down are:

1.) The batter on the calamari starter was soggy.
2.) Fajitas is a 'speciality' there but it doesn't come with guacamole, which I would expect as standard. They're about £11/12.
3.) They don't sell Peroni on tap.

Yes, these are minor things and I'll certainly be going back as the staff are great. However, when you're surrounded by so many other excellent restaurants you need to be flawless.

1 Thank John H

South Shields, United Kingdom
“A very nice meal.”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

The service and the food in this restaurant was very good. We hadn't booked a table but we were walking past and seen that the menu looked appetizing, so we decided to go inside. Inside is quite small, and as we were situated near the door it was quite annoying when people were coming in and just hovering around our table to be greeted, but on a busy night this is what we expected in the space we had. The food we had was really nice, around £11 each we paid for our main, but an excellent selection and nice sized portion. We both had chicken, which were cooked to perfection, both in lovely sauces and served with golden home made chips (or vegetables). Starters and desserts are not overly priced either, and were again lovely. I'd definitely go back again! Just wish it was that tiny bit bigger.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Courtney259
South Shields, United Kingdom
“Decent but nothing to make it stand out from the crowd”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Popped into this restaurant for the first time at 6'ish on a Saturday night with the family - the place was pretty much empty which is to be expected early on a January evening.

Prices were reasonable and staff were friendly and attentive. The atmosphere was somewhat spoilt by Italian cheesy rap and pop music which was a bit too loud.

The food was better than average but no more.

My order of Amatriciana pasta was decent enough but the sauce was a little bland and the portion size was fairly small.

My 7 year old daughter ordered spag boll off the kids menu which was approximately the same size as my dish and came with chips(!) which was good value and tasted .

The other half order a vegetarian pizza which she described as adequate - nice thin base and decent toppings but not much flavour.

All-in-all not at all bad but we'll probably try another Italian rather than return in the near future.

• Visited January 2013
“Best Italian in South Shields would not eat anywhere else”
Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

As usual this was a amazing 2 visits in the space of a few days, we went on Saturday the 29th with family who were visiting. I had the best pancetta calzone pizza I have ever had! Yummy! All of our guests were amazed by the food as not many had been to the restaurant before!! Apparently the steak was perfect. The staff were amazing, our party were quite loud and they were very interactive and had great fun with us. My partner and I went on the 1st of January as well and had yet more amazing service and food. Just love it there!! I do not understand the other reviewers, I can only assume it was an oversight, or they are unrealistic in the service they should get.

1 Thank Gem-marie30
“Fantastic New Year's Eve here”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We spend, as a family, on New Year's Eve here. We arrived and were greeted by the most wonderful staff we have meet. They were extremely welcoming and they seated us. The food was lovely we ordered the steak and we really enjoyed it. The steak was cooked to our taste and we were extremely happy with everything.
We really enjoyed our night here and loved the live music.
Would recommend here to anybody....
Go and be amazed :)