“Good stay, great staff”

Premier Inn South Shields Port Of Tyne Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in South Shields
Reviewed October 28, 2012

A lovely welcome at check in, pleasant and quick check in. We had a triple room, the double bed was huge and comfy, the single (camp bed?) wasn't as nice, the mattress was a bit thin. Large clean bathroom with bath and shower.
The hotel was lovely and clean and the staff were all really pleasant and helpful which made it a nice stay. The only minus point was the kids being noisy in the corridor and room next door from 6.30am on a Sunday morning, when I went out to ask them to keep it down because people were trying to sleep they were all in the same leggings and t shirt and we think that there was some sort of dance competition going on?
I don't hold the hotel responsible for this (more the adults who should be supervising!) but it was disappointing not to get a lie in.
The breakfast was great! Served at Taybarns next door and it was faultless, lovely, hot, lots of choice and good value.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed October 26, 2012

You know what you're getting with a Premier Inn and this one was no exception. Room wasn't the most modern, but it was clean and warm and the bed was nice and comfortable.

I will mention the staff though who were amongst the friendliest I've met!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 10, 2012

First stay at a Premier Inn but it met the standards that Lenny Henry promised me in the TV ad!

My room, admittedly recently refurbished, was very clean and I would be unable to find fault. Unlike a previous reviewer I had no problem with controlling the room temperature, and being October I was able to cool it down quickly by simply opening the window. From then on the control panel did the rest.

The Receptionist was exceptionally professional, friendly and efficient, briefing me on all that Premier Inn had to offer. This continued throughout my stay - she's almost a good friend now!

Food is served in the attached Taybarn restaurant. I simply had to try the "all you can eat buffet" for £7.99. I wasnt sure what to expect but my level of expectation wasnt too high. I was very pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food I had. No, it won't be awarded any Michelin stars this year, but given the price, it was extremely enjoyable with a very broad range of choice - from Carvery, to Italian, fish and chips, burgers, spicy options... good choices. Breakfast the next morning was equally good - and I had some time to kill after checking out - so I asked for a coffee, to be told that I could have free coffee as a result of me having had breakfast in there.

All in all for a Premier Inns first timer it was a very good stay indeed. Sure, it's on the basic end of the market but I have stayed in some of the best hotels around the world and frankly prefer what Premier Inns have to offer. All I want is a basic, clean, well equipped room with a good tv and a kettle where I can get a good nights sleep. And at the sort of money I paid for this one, it certainly delivered.

I hope I can find a reason to return !

To eat

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We have stayed here before and were happy with the experience. The staff on duty during this stay were fantastic and made us feel valued.; they couldn't have been more friendly and helpful both on reception and at breakfast. The room was clean and comfortable and provided all the essentials. Would be happy to recommend and will stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2012

we stayed here for 2 nghts 2 rooms in our room the heating was stuck at 10-5 degrees absolutly freezing overnight, we have a 2 yr old disabled daughter who cant maintain her bodyheat, night staff didnot appear to care spoken to the day staff who said it may need batteries replacing on the control panel we looked all seemed to be ok waited as said for it to reset made no difference not worth going up and down all night if they had no idea how to fix it dont think ill be staying here again

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Whitbread-77, Naina - Social Media at Premier Inn South Shields Port Of Tyne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel.

It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay.
We sincerely apologise that on this occasion our hotel did not meet your expectations.

Your feedback is very much appreciated as it enables us to improve standards.
Please be assured that the issues raised will be fully investigated.

Thank you once again for your review.

Naina
Social Media Team

Whitbread Hotels & Restaurants.

Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for a weekend when we attended a wedding in Newcastle. It is easily accessed by the Metro system, however there didn't seem to be a lot around in walking distance. This wasn't too much of a problem for us as it was the ideal location for the venues we were attending. The rooms aren't particularly luxurious, but they were very clean and uniform without any dated furniture furniture which was nice. The curtains kept the sunlight out in the morning, which allowed us to get a good nights sleep after quite a heavy weekend! Premier inn is obviously not the choice for a romantic getaway, but it serves its purpose brilliantly. The night porter was really friendly, which I have to admit I haven't always encountered from someone working the nightshift! Reception staff were lovely and friendly also and seemed very interested and invested in the guests. I would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Fantastic location for end of GNR, staff very friendly and helpful and advising on taxi's and the best way to travel to the finish line. (We were there to support relatives running for the 'brain tumour charity')
We stayed two nights and could not fault anything, we should have stayed the night after the GNR instead of driving 8 hrs to get home.

Room Tip: ground floor rooms