“Spot of lunch.”
Review of Wheatsheaf Hotel

Wheatsheaf Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Virginia Water
Reviewed April 9, 2014

I stopped here with a colleague, after picking him up from Heathrow Airport.

He had lasagne, and I had Ham, Egg and Chips, both of which were enjoyable.

It took a little while to get our food, but overall if was a pleasant enough place to stop for lunch.

If I was passing, I'd eat here again, but I wouldn't go out of my way to return.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed April 7, 2014

I ate here with a friend on a drizzly Saturday afternoon, before we toddled across to Virginia Water and lapped the lake.
I had booked a table for 2 online via the website, but I couldn’t see a single member of staff to check this for us when we arrived at about 12.30, and it wasn’t very busy, so we just sat ourselves by a window (the pub is a little on the dark side.)
I got us some menus, so needless to say, the service aspect wasn’t great.
My friend disappeared for about 10 minutes to queue to order at the bar, which seemed bizarrely slow for a Saturday lunchtime! I wasn’t very hungry, so just had the soup of the day and my friend had a jacket potato. She had specified that they were to both be mains, but this was obviously lost in the translation of our order, as I had long since finished my soup by the time the jacket potato arrived. The soup was nice, but I always find it awkward to be the only one eating!
A man who looked like a chef (strange waiter attire…) came to check whether the jacket potato had arrived, twice, and eventually it did. Granted, jacket potatoes aren’t particularly exciting anyway, but there was no salad garnish or anything of note to distinguish this pub-bought potato to a normal one you could make at home, which surely is the aim of pub/restaurant chefs; to make your dining experience a little special?
In any case, both our meals were fine, but nothing to write home about. The service was non-existent, but at least the prices are OK. They should also check their toilets more often; they weren't in a great state when I used them.
I think we’ll choose the much nicer Belvedere Arms next time!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Staff are always very welcoming. The twin room was very spacious. Food was a good as usual, but a little slow, especially when it's busy. If you need to be in this area it is a great place to stay, but there is not much in walking distance, except the lake. If you have a car, Windsor and Ascot are not far and Royal Holloway University is also very close.

Room Tip: try and book via Good Night Inns, they seem to have best deals. The rooms on the road side are obvi...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

Very impressed. Big room, comfy bed, nice staff, cheap drinks, good food, cosy comfy pub with open fires. nice location, great value for money without hassle of being in town centre. Would definitely go again..........................

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

In the past I have come here a lot, and I've always been very satisfied, but I came in about a month ago and it was a disaster. I did say something to the management at the time. I went back today, and what a difference. The staff were friendly & efficient, the food ( roast) was delicious, hot and lots of of it! There was no wait and I couldn't have been more pleased.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 28, 2014

This is actually a hotel but we went there for Sunday lunch.

The restaurant area is huge and it was FULL of people - probably a good 20-30 too many to be honest.

We did get a reasonable table by a window so that was fine.

The food is chain-style pub grub - nothing to write home about in all honesty. We were 8 people and chose a selection of roasts: gammon and pork (beef was sold out at 2pm - sadly!) and a rump steak. The roasts looked very different from plate to plate - some had a lovely large fluffy Yorkshire pudding - others had a small flat one. The gammon was COVERED in gravy - so much that you couldn't actually see the meat (it was there though). This was too much and made the plates look rather unpleasant.

The pork was tasteless and over-cooked. The rump steak had no seasoning on it whatsoever and it came with overcooked chips (so-called 'triple-cooked' chips - but what's the point if that just means over cooked?), a few onion rings and cold cherry tomatoes and some dry leaves of rocket.

The puddings were also disappointing - the smallest crème brulee ever seen and apple pie which looked like something you buy frozen in Tesco!

Not a great meal by any standards.

They did have a reasonably priced Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc wine at £17.00 - which was delicious - so if you are going for a drink, this place is probably fine.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank PEMtheDane
Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

This is a perfectly satisfactory basic hotel cum pub. The room (no 4) was front facing so gets road noise but I slept well. Restaurant is not wonderful but there are lots of local alternatives. Hotel backs directly onto Virginia Water lake which is great. At the price I was quite happy and will stay again.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Wheatsheaf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Dear Endometrium

Thank you for providing us with your review

I can confirm that I have passed on your comments about your visit to the management team and to the Area Manager of the Wheatsheaf Hotel who would like to thank you for your feedback and to let you know that they have taken your feedback on board and passed it to the relevant teams.

We do hope to see you soon in the Wheatsheaf Hotel soon.

Kind regards,

Royal Berkshire Hotel
Royal Berkshire Hotel
#1 of 2 in Sunninghill
Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa

Been to Wheatsheaf Hotel? Share your experiences!