“Wonderful Christmas display”
Review of Whitehall

Whitehall
Ranked #4 of 18 things to do in Sutton
More attraction details
Owner description: Whitehall is closed to the public from 10 April 2016 until the summer of 2017 to allow for a major refurbishment, which includes vital conservation and restoration works to the building and internal adaptations, along with a small extension for a lift to make the house more accessible. While Whitehall is closed its team will have an active presence at fetes and fairs and will visit local groups and societies. The Friends of Whitehall will also continue to run activities and events in Cheam, particularly at the Parochial Rooms and Cheam Library while Whitehall is closed. An accredited museum, Whitehall was built around 1500, though the house has undergone significant changes and alterations during its life. Remarkably, between 1741 and 1963 Whitehall was the home of one family, the Killicks and the house has held 18th and 19th-century displays reflecting different periods of its history. As well as having a Tudor hall, parlour and a Victorian kitchen, Whitehall also houses a model of Nonsuch Palace, which once stood nearby but was demolished in the 1680s. It has a designated exhibition space which will host a new programme of activities on reopening in 2017, as well as a tea room which has been voted one of the best in Surrey.
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Visited Whitehall yesterday and the Christmas display is outstanding. Young grandson loved seeing the reindeer, donkey and goats and playing in the playground. Ice ring looked very inviting. So much to see and buy! I bought an item that is to be a present and it was beautifully gift wrapped for free. Staff very helpful and friendly.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Great to know that a bit of Tudor history has been preserved in Cheam, and if you live in the area you've probably driven by it hundreds of times without even realising!

Make sure you check the opening hours before you come so you aren't disappointed as it is closed often.

Nice little look at Tudor History and great location in lovely Cheam.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

My son (8) wanted to go on a day trip somewhere a little bit far from home, and randomly picked Sutton. I was not so sure that was a great idea. The Whitehall in Cheam village just a short bus ride away from Sutton rail station was recommended here in trip advisor. So, with little expectation we went.

I am glad we did!

The house was a nice,little piece of history. We all enjoyed discovering all the rooms in it, and doing the simple yet enjoyable activities inside.

If you arrive to he house and it is closed (from 12 to 2 pm i think), you can spend your time walking around the Nonsuch park (just a short walk behind the house) or have lunch at the fish and chips restaurant across the road.

There are shops (including charity shops with some great books and stuff you might fancy) and cafes around the area.

We would definitely do another trip in random and hope to find another nice little village to visit and spend a day! It is worth doing if you have kids to entertain.

1  Thank Redteapot13
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I visited Whitehall last week for the first time with my children 5y & 8y, inspired to go because of Open House London weekend. I have driven past countless times and thought 'I must pop in there one day'....and never had!
What a little gem of a place....fabulous building parts of which are 500 years old which we all found amazing, a delight to explore with an unusual and interesting layout, 'hidden' displays and rooms....great.
There were lots of activities. some of which were extra because of the Open House weekend, but there is a fun interactive Tudor info sheet we worked on, period dressing up outfits and a small basket of period toys which are always there. The small garden is peaceful, and the boys loved the old well. My eldest child is studying the Tudors at school this term so it was timely to see a model of Nonsuch Palace, and a display of real artefacts from the site. My children were totally engaged during our 90 minute visit. I see there are activities planned for the October half term, and we are going to return, and introduce some friends too.
Unfortunately we left it too late to try the tea room, with a choice of drinks and home made cakes, but I shall definitely revisit, it overlooks the garden and has a feel of being miles away in the country!
There is a small shop and lots of leaflets with local information and postcards & gifts to buy. As entrance is free, it was nice to make a few purchases to contribute in a small way.

Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

I have always seen this place and decided to go in one day. Free entrance and there is a dressing up wardrobe. I didn't really understand what it was all about but it was really funny.

Recommend a visit if you live in the area and never been in, but I wouldn't travel from afar just to go here.