“Excellent value for money” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of UNO Tapas

UNO Tapas
Ranked #5 of 148 Restaurants in Sutton
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Dining on a budget, Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A family restaurant, in the heart of Sutton, offering fresh, authentic and traditional Spanish tapas in a modern, lively and family friendly environment.
Horsham, United Kingdom
“Excellent value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

No longer living in sutton but have passed this restaurant when visiting relatives and always wanted to give it a try. I am so jealous. Excellent fresh food and value for money with a good service from Spanish staff. I have returned home and checked the Internet hoping there would be a restaurant nearer to us. Sutton appears to be the only one! Take note UNO one of your restaurants would go down a storm in Horsham.

• Visited September 2013

London, United Kingdom
“A welcome addition to a town not known for quality dining options....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

A rare night out without the kids would have previously resulted in a dash to our usual haunts in South Croydon, however had driven past this place a few times since it opened and being a fan of tapas and spanish cuisine we opted to give it a chance, especially given that our last visits to Galicia in South Croydon have been substandard.

Arriving just gone 7 the downstairs was already fully seated so we were escorted to the upper floor, immediate reservations of being whisked away to a dreary upstairs room were erased when we were seated in an immaculately presented area with great lighting and comfortable seating.

We placed drink orders and recieved our drinks swiftly, dissapointing perhaps that you have to order and pay for bread and olives, this said because it took some time for our food order to be placed and having something to nibble at whilst waiting may have erased the awareness of this time passing.

eventually. We ordered 7 tapas plates, the waiter prompting that perhaps this was too many, in hindsight maybe by one, however this is the standard number we order and share at tapas restaurants in the UK and spain.

We requested the plates came as they are ready, following our order it was about 10 minutes until the plates started arriving, great fresh calamari perfectly cooked, chorizo in wine, simple but a good sized portion, albondigas, homemade and in a delicious vegetable sauce, mussels in white wine sauce, good however adding tomato changed the anticipated taste, the standard Patatas bravas were a very generous portion, would have been better in my opinion to mix in the sauce rather than top a stack of fried spuds...., tortilla was a good size for two and in hindsight a dish we would have ommited given the volume of patatas. the dissapointing dish was the Gambas, prawns in Garlic, there were 5 prawns none of which bigger than a babys finger, prepeeled and swimming in scolding oil with a couple of garlic cloves, I believe the dish was around £6-7, they tasted bitter and overcooked, why places cannot go back to the old way of serving in shells and and serving steamed/grilled with garlic butter I don't know.

The reason I take issue with the prawns is this, the guys who have set this up were responsible for originally setting up Galicia in Croydon aswell as other sites in Purley....

These places when they first opened and for some time were awesome, before kids me and the wife would be in there all the time, quick fresh tapas, big groups easily catered for, I would even take my staff in there for nights out (I work in the hospitality industry) to show them how it is done, however over the years you saw the portions shrink, the service stayed the flawless same until a couple of years ago, however the quality dropped - significantly, to the point that following our last 2 visits we stopped going, it would appear after speaking to the waiter at Uno that it was sold on and the original team moved on, and Uno is their new venture.

Anyway back to the prawns..... When Galicia first opened, we had been going to a place called El Patio in George St. Croydon for some time, Galicia won us over as El Patio had slipped and the food at Galicia was just so much more fresh and portions were consistent. The Prawns came shell on and there were loads, small but plump fresh and garlicy, it was a real dining expericence sharing them and washing your fingers in the finger bowl..... however £1+ each for an overcooked chewy bitter miniscule prawn really is a shame, these guys can cook, really can cook some fantastic spanish food - the food is delicious and plentiful, however this plate however is dissapointing, really dissapointing, my heart sank when it arrived..... be brave guys go rustic, throw a handfull of shell on prawns in pan like you used to.... please!

Overall service was great, with the exception of the time taken to place food order, very attentive following this, surroundings were great, ambience perfect and food devine (except the prawns), would have to agree with the waiter though max 6 plates per couple.....

• 4 of 5 bubbles
“Great food and excellent value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

Sunday late lunch with a friend. Service was quick, food was so fresh and the customer service was great. Loved the fact that all the staff were Spanish- makes you feel like you were away from the uk for a couple of hours. Must try the lamb cutlets- so tasty!!

London, United Kingdom
“Spanish food on your doorstep”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

The restaurant was very inviting and the staff are all very friendly and helpful. A great menu ranging from tapas to a full cooked meal.
Even at lunchtimes, the atmosphere is really buzzy.
I have been here 4 times and the service, staff and food quality has been consistently good.

1 Thank Yesmin M
“Fantastic all-round experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

This is my favourite restaurant in Sutton and I eat out here quite a lot. I have been here a few times with my family. The food is great, authentic very tasty tapas. The staff are attentive, knowledgable and can't do enough to serve you. They are very happy and friendly and so great with kids. I have taken my 6 year old neice here twice and she loves to try new things. I don't normally go for dessert but the desserts here are all fantastic. Yes, I have tried them all now! This place is a 'must' for any foodie visiting Sutton!

• Visited July 2013