“Wish I lived nearer”

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 27, 2012

Really friendly staff, fresh tasty food and very good value

2  Thank Missive

Reviewed January 13, 2012

We went here new years eve and ordered too much food but the bill was very reasonable. I adore Thai food and think this place is better than The Regional Thai across the road. The service is great, not a negative thing to say about it.

2  Thank Duckett10
Reviewed January 12, 2012

Better food and value than the Thai across the road, a now regular haunt. Book well ahead for Weekends

2  Thank andyjansy
Reviewed December 26, 2011

There are two Thai establishments in Cheam Village and I have been a regular at the other since it opened many years ago. A Thai place appeared on the site of Songkran a few years later about 100 yards up the road on the opposite side and given my habbit was to visit the other one I was never enticed to try. I believe it has had a few owners over the years until about a year ago the current management and I began to hear murmourings that the food was really very good. As I am a few miles from Cheam and it is out of my way I never made the effort to check it out - that is until the Friday before Christmas when I decided to take my father. We both love Thai food but are often disappointed by new places - however from the moment I walked through the stores I was charmed by the menu and wowed by the varied and exciting menu.
I have probably eaten Thai in more than 100 UK establishments not to mention those I seek out on my travels and make an initial assessment of every place by trying fish cakes. At Songkran they were home made, suitibly spiced for the western palate (my father) but still with a kick and delicious. We also tried prawn satay and wontons - not so immaginitive but both excellent and clearly made freshly.
Such was the variety of mains on offer I took quite a while to select the dishes - these included some good sized and juicy scallops in white wine with basil; some giant king prawns with garlic, cashew nuts and various herbs and an excellent variety of laab made with sea bass (I always recommend a salad with the main meal as the Thai's would do). Everything was well above average and went down a treat with Singha Beer.
Deserts did not appeal - personally I think sorbet is an excellent end to a Thai meal and Songkran does not run to this on thier menu. I settled therefore for a coffee and the bill which - given the amout the two of us had to both eat and drink was a very pleasent surprise.
With 28 seats (I think) this tiny place is easy to look over but anyone who does is really missing out on somewhere quite special. I thought twice about posting these comments but this place is so good it deserves to be full every night.

5  Thank AndrewF007