“Ideal for business stay”

Holiday Inn London Sutton
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Sutton
Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here last week the night before a meeting. Arrived quite late, but there was still good food available in the bar, and the staff were happy to accommodate my slightly of menu request. Reception staff were friendly and welcoming too. I've stayed at a couple of similar priced places in the area and this was definitely the best.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
GeneralManager5_9, General Manager at Holiday Inn London Sutton, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Reviewed February 8, 2014

Two of us stayed for a couple of nights. The room was smallish with limited space to hang or put anything.

Broadband in the room is chargeable (and I recall quite pricey) - luckily didn't take it up as there was no plug by the bed if I wanted to use it! This also meant I couldn't use my mobile when the charge had run out, as had to use plug away from bed.

TV small, with limited channels and average reception.

Bathroom not nice. Tiny. WC small, low and with a really cheap nasty plastic cover. Shower in bath worked well.

Friday night slept badly. Asked for quiet room. We seemed to be above or close to a function room, with loud music.

We chose to eat out as restaurant was uninspiring, didn't see much in the way of fresh healthy food.

The reception staff were the saving grace. Helpful and efficient.

Hotel location handy for local shops and cafes/restaurant .. but typical busy High Street, cloned shops etc.

Expected higher standard and more comforts.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Bird3
GeneralManager5_9, General Manager at Holiday Inn London Sutton, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

I hereby would li to thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback., although have received this now via two other sources as ell. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service levels we aim for.
I would like to apologise foir any inconvenience caused when it came to a restless night due to a event taking place in one of our banquet rooms, whereby music is always stopped automatically at 00.30hr.
I can inform you that from the middle of July 2014 WIFI will be free of charge for all IHG Rewards members while at present this is only for our IHG Rewards Elite members. I would like to suggest when staying next at our hotel please sign up directly for the (complimentary) membership.
I am not sure how to take your comments about the TV entertainment system provided into the bedrooms as a 32" TV set in a standard room or a 36" inch TV set in a Executive room offering 33 channels as well a in-house movie selection could be considered as a good variety of channels available. With reference to plugs, yes I have to confirm that no plugs are located directly next to the bed, but 2 plugs are indeed located at the desk only.
I can assure you as well that our menu's are made up by a team of food & beverage specialist and used in most of our hotels in the UK&I. All items are specially made up and fresh food used mainly. May I suggest that enxt time you maybe would try our new Italian buffet selection or any of the items on our Special boatrd, both of which have been introduced as from today. I can assure you that you will appreciate both of them.
Thanking you again for sharing your experiences with us and looking forward to welcome you back in the near future to the hotel again.

Reviewed February 7, 2014

The USP of this otherwise standard Holiday Inn are the reception staff who are utterly charming and could not have been more helpful. I was really impressed. As a platinum IHG member I was given an upgrade, which was kind.

My room was pretty standard but lovely and warm. The gym is good. The restaurant was average. It's a cold, uninviting room and the service and food very average indeed.

I would stay here again but would probably eat out.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service levels we aim for. I particulary appreciate the comment made about our Reception staff, something I will share with them.
I have taken onboard your comment about our restaurant and have shared this with our Restaurant Manager and Head Chef as well. I believe you were staying during the week that we had a issue in the restaurant with the heating system, something which has been resolved already. May I suggest you try our newly forthcoming Italian buffet (every 2nd and 4th Wednesday of the month) as well the items of our Specials Board, something we staretd basically today. I am sure you will appreciate both of them.
Looking forward to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future,

Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a single night - good check in experience, clean room, decent breakfast - but may be appropriate if the staff in the breakfast area weren't bad mouthing the management and Holiday Inn, very unprofessional, otherwise a decent stay

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager5_9, General Manager at Holiday Inn London Sutton, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Thank you for taking the time sharing your experiences at the hotel with us and we appreciate your positive feedback on the stay itself.
With reference to your comment about bad mouthing the Management I can assure you that this was not the case as we have spoken already to the two staff members involved, after receiving your Guest Comment Card on the day of your departure, and certain statements were probably slightly misinterpreted.
Thanking you again for your comments and looking forward to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

Stayed in Spa suite 4th floor. Lovely room, comfortable bed with choice of type of pillows i.e soft/hard. There is 1 easy chair in the room, it would be better to replace it with a small settee or add another easy chair, there is room to accommodate that type of furniture. I find the "see through" frosted glass doors and walls a little weird - not much privacy when you want to use the loo! Staff very professional and polite through out the hotel.
If you are not an exclusive member of the Holiday Inn then you have to pay an extortionate fee to use their wifi. I have paid for wifi in other hotels which has ranged £5-7 for 24 hrs, Holiday Inn prices is £5 for 4 hours, the prices increase if you wish to use there wifi for a longer period. It proves that other organisations can charge lower prices for their wifi, i.e coffee shops/ Bentalls /waitrose and the Banks give free wifi. Holiday Inn chooses not to follow the other retails examples.

Room Tip: 404 Spa suite, watch out for the "see through" frosted glass door and window!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
GeneralManager5_9, General Manager at Holiday Inn London Sutton, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Looking forward to welcome you back in the near future to the hotel again,

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Having stayed here a few times with work, it's always been a pleasant stay. The rooms are comfortable and well equipped and the staff are always friendly.

The hotel has lesuire facilities which are free to use, although on these small side it will certainly pass an hour to two with the pool and gym.

The breakfast is fantastic and has everything you need to start off the day. Having stayed there a few times the staff even get my morning drink ready as I walk through the door, which is a nice touch.

There are only two negatives for this hotel. The pillows and Wifi.

The pillows are the worst pillows I have ever had and it's not a one off, it's every time I stay. I just don't know what it is. They give you two option in your room, hard or soft. The hard is too hard and the soft too soft. I've tried one of each and still no good. I've even resorted to taking my own.

The Wifi. Well you have to pay for it. When i stay there it's for work so the fact that I have to pay for the wifi is a joke, considering how much the rooms are in the first place. I have heard rumours that this is about to change in 2014 and fingers crossed it will as it's a great hotel.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManager5_9, General Manager at Holiday Inn London Sutton, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for.
I can inform you that from the middle of 2014 WIFI will be free of charge for all IHG rewards members while at present this is only for our IHG Rewards Elite members. Also at the end of March 2014 we will be introducing new linen specs and pillows in all our bedrooms.

Reviewed December 25, 2013

I have stayed at the hotel on two separate occasions in December 2013, both times for a week.
The hotel is ideally located in the centre of Sutton with easy access to/from the train station and motorway network. The staff were extremely friendly, professional and efficient helping me to sort out my club rewards card, of which there were a number of issues, as well as proving to be very helpful in helping me find my way around the area. The bar area was clean and the staff polite and eager to help. Although I didn't dine in the restaurant, I did use room service. Although the room service menu is a bit limited, you can order food from the restaurant menu. The food arrived in a timely fashion and was hot and tasty with the added bonus of being served with a smile. I opted for the Executive double room, which was very well equipped with desk and comfortable chair for working, a large flat screen TV with lots of channels for in room entertainment, and large bed that afforded an excellent nights sleep. The room was also very quiet with good views across the town. As I'm over 6ft tall, I couldn't really fit in the bath, but the overhead shower more than made up for the size of the bath, being very powerful with multiple water dispense settings. I was staying at the hotel on business, and as I will be in the area on business for at least the next six months, I doubt if I'll be staying anywhere else, as I'm more than happy with what the hotel has to offer, and I haven't even tried the gym, spa or pool yet. However, after what I've been eating and drinking over the Christmas holiday period, you can bet your bottom dollar that I'll be a frequent visitor in the gym and pool....!!!! No harpoons please....
All joking aside, I think you would struggle to find a better hotel with the same facilities in or around the Sutton area. It may not be the cheapest, but you pay for quality, and that's what this hotel has in spades....

Room Tip: Opt for the Executive rooms, they're a bit pricier but very quiet with excellent in room facilit...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

I am looking forward meeting you personally during the next General Managers cocktail evening somewhere in january 2014.

Marco Frik

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sutton
Hampton by Hilton London Croydon
Hilton London Croydon
Hilton London Croydon
#9 of 24 in Croydon
The Greyhound Carshalton Hotel
Premier Inn London Croydon (Purley A23) Hotel
Travelodge London Wimbledon Morden
Best Western Plus London Croydon Aparthotel

Been to Holiday Inn London Sutton? Share your experiences!