“Helpful staff - watch out for the internet prices tho!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Sutton
Sussex
“Helpful staff - watch out for the internet prices tho!”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Not much of a one for hotels now given the soaring costs, compared to other options. But a reasonable stay here, which was very close to a meeting a needed to go to. For a 3* hotel, this wasn't bad - fairly basic but comfortable enough (although the shower was a bit pathetic), and staff were helpful during booking, and on arrival and departure. Avoided the breakfast because of past experience of hotel breakfasts (tend to get better and cheaper if I just visit a shop on my way up!). However, gets only an average mark because of the outrageous costs to get on to the internet. £5 for an hour? You've got to be joking! I ended up just using my phone! Left a bad taste in my mouth to have had such a good experience of the hotel, only to feel like they were trying to rip me off when I got in the room. What a shame.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Benjiburner
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London Sutton, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Benjiburner,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I am pleased to know that you found our staff helpful. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls you have encountered and if your stay was negatively affected by our internet feel. We strive to provide a competitive extra fees in the area. It is not our intent to inconvenient our guests instead provide fee options that make sense. Nevertheless, we appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention as this is our best resource in providing guest satisfaction.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Check in staff were friendly & efficient. Room was on fourth floor & maybe because I am a Gold Elite card holder was given one of the executive rooms. Bedroom was big, a big TV, big comfortable bed & in fact have little to complain about in the room, if the fixtures & fittings are a bit tired. However the bathroom was not so good, tiny, dark, suite completely needs replacing & a shower curtain!! My pet hate in any hotel is a fabric shower curtain! Nice toiletries, complimentary water, iron+ironing board, room safe, good A/C, bathrobe, black out curtains made up for the bathroom, though.
Car park should be free for all guests (they charge £10 per night) & insufficient parking spaces for the size of the hotel. Just minor issues, that if dealt with would have scored an 'excellent' mark. All in all, though, a good stay & I would recommend.

• Stayed July 2013
GeneralManager5_9, General Manager at Holiday Inn London Sutton, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I am pleased to know that you found our staff helpful and liked our room. I have taken on boatrd your comment about the bathroom, which are due for refurnbishment in 2014, although the linen shower curtain will stay as this is a world wide compnay brand standard. I have also taken on board your comment about the car parking, although £7.50 per 24 hour, something which is again being reviewed byn the end of the year only. Nevertheless, we appreciate you bringing these points to our attention as it will help us in providing guest satisfaction.
We look forward to welcome you back to the hotel again in the near future.

Cardiff, S.Wales.UK
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed here last weekend as we were going to Wimbledon for the tennis. On checking in the staff were very friendly and polite. We were told that we had been upgraded to executive. The room itself was a little tired. I agree with others that although a little as we may say now old fashioned looking, all things worked and the bed and pillows were very comfy. The bathroom was very small and dark and a bath mat made the bathroom feel a bit basic and cheap. In the room was a very good tv, coffee and tea and kettle. The room wasn't as big as an executive in my opinion from comparing to other hotels. There were lots of finger marks on the woken headboard and doors. I noticed this around the hotel too. It made the room look dirty, when it was in fact clean. The breakfast staff were very friendly. An older lady had a chat with us and made us very welcome. We had a great weekend and I would recommend staying here for Wimbledon. We went to all bar one just down the road from the hotel and got bits in morrisons that is open until 10pm.
We paid ten pound for breakfast and I think it was well worth it. Fruit yoghurt full English cooked breakfast toast croissants cereals pancakes. A great set up for the day.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
We would like to thank you for taking the time in sharing your hotel experience with us as it helps us to see if our services and standards are appreciated by our guest.
We look forward to welcome you back again to the hotel.

Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2013

For anyone wishing to be 'central' to both Sutton and public transport ie. trains/buses/taxis, then the Holiday Inn is an ideal location. The rooms are a decent size with comfortable beds. Tne bathroo was a little tired but all the facilities worked perfectly.

Room Tip: If possible choose a high floor and ask for your room to be away from the main road
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager5_9, General Manager at Holiday Inn London Sutton, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time in sharing your stay experience with us, we appreciate your feedback.
Kind regards,

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Arrived for a week-end break to see my family, looked promising we were upgraded to executive floor which was very nice - so glad it was an exec room I would hate to think what the standard rooms are like. Room was very tired by comparison to othe Exec rooms I have stayed but hey it was free! One drssing gown between 2? Still wasn't bothered who needs a great big thick gown this time of year. We thought we would try the restaurant and treat the grandkids - marvellous kids eat free when adults purchase a meal very impressed. The only problem was that the kids had eaten their meals by the time ours arrived cold!! the restaurant was fairly empty so wasn't down to being busy, suggest it was the week-end staff and I suspect that our food was left in the kitchen waiting for the waiter. I complained as burger was cold and without the stated bacon. this was whisked away and I was provided with a hot burger and chips, well worth the wait they were good. The Hotel is in a really good location for the shops etc Only minor irritation but details make all the difference.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
GeneralManager5_9, General Manager at Holiday Inn London Sutton, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time in sharing your experience with us.
I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the inconvenience caused while dining in our restaurant and I have shared your comments with our Restaurant & Bars Manager for follow up, as this is certainly not the standards and services we are known for as well we would like to be known for. I am happy that we were able to rectify the situation straight away.

Your sincerely,

Guernsey, Channel Islands
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I was only in Sutton for a one night stop over as I had flown to the UK for a concert that evening and was returning home the next morning. The hotel was chosen on the basis of location and that it would hopefully be of an acceptable minimum standard. As it turned out it was really quite good. Why a hotel in Sutton would be near to full on a Friday night is beyond me but it was. I grew up nearby and in those days, although a bit scruffy, the town had a sort of charm about it. Not now! The hotel is modern, clean and the staff friendly - I was given an upgrade on arrival which was nice because I am not a frequent Holiday Inn customer. The room was of a reasonable size and the bed comfortable with a choice of pillows. My only complaint would be that the shower was in the bath rather than separate. Breakfast was of a good standard and the lady who was covering my table was attentive without being overbearing. This is my second experience of a Holiday Inn Express in the last month or so and at £80 a night for B&B I thought it offered satisfactory value for money.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
GeneralManager5_9, General Manager at Holiday Inn London Sutton, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
I would like to thank you for your kind comments about our staff and services, something I certainly will share with the rest of the team here at the hotel.
Looking forward to welcome you back to the hotel again in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Athens
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We were in London for 3 days on business. Our initial intention was to stay close to the center, but nothing was available (on budget!) so we resorted to Holiday Inn Sutton (which proved ideal because the job was in Sutton anyway!). The hotel was what you would expect of a Holiday Inn 4*. The twin beds were very comfortable and the service very good.

One snag, which others have commented upon, was the pricey wi-fi: I understand it will be free as of July, but still! Another snag was the TV-screen: no-one thought of nailing it on the wall, instead of wasting half a desk and half a mirror?

Did not try the spa, so I cannot comment.

Sutton is a nice suburb, also, and the hotel is as central and as quiet as one would wish.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time in sharing your experience with us, highly appreciated. I have taken on board your comment with reference to the TV set, can only inform you that bwe have at present 4 rooms where the TV Plasma screen is mounted on the wall. A solution is being looked at for the other TV screens as the main issue for a TV set being mounted against the wall, without a bracket, is that you can only watch TV while sitting on the bed. More to follow in the near future.

Yours sincerly,

Holiday Inn London Sutton
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sutton
Holiday Inn Express Epsom Downs
Hilton London Croydon
Hilton London Croydon
#9 of 24 in Croydon
Premier Inn Epsom South Hotel

Been to Holiday Inn London Sutton? Share your experiences!